What's the best tv box for xbmc use only?
(2015-06-25, 18:40)curti Wrote:
(2015-06-25, 18:32)Pepsi Wrote: im having issues with installing kodi on fire stick.

im using this guys setup https://youtu.be/-hQ3e9gdsmE

my problem at the moment is once i extract the file adbfire and the adfire window comes up, it doesnt give me the option to type my "ip address", in its place it has "discription 1"

im using a windowns 7 computer.

Click [Setup Device].

adbFire thread.

I clicked setup device... typed my fire stick ip address, clicked save... clicked connect and nothing happens... i dont even get the error that its not connecting.
i got it working.

im new to computers... but um.. i made a quick effort to do this at my gf place yesterday and i was still using the ip address that i had written down over there... so im guessing i cant just finish the set up at my house and just take it to her house and use the fire stick there?... because its connected to another ip address?... is this right?

i was hoping once i finished installing kodi on the fire stick that i could just get up and take it anywhere to use it.
now the green bar just keeps on loading.. does not instal kodi on fire stick...
Hi folks, total newbie to the Smart TV box game and was similarly to the OP wondering which box would i be better off getting. Im currently drawn to the Amazon Fire box as it seems little hassle other than sideloading Kodi. Kodi would be the only real use i have for the device but additional apps are welcome.
I was looking to spend around the £70 mark. Main use will be to stream sports and movies. I have limited knowledge when it comes down to the specs of these devices. So to recap:
Smart Box in the UK
Kodi friendly
Can handle live streams and movies with no juddering (aware alot is dependant on source and internet speeds etc).
Budget upto 80 GBP
Thank you in advance
(2015-06-25, 21:20)oneilnufc Wrote: Hi folks, total newbie to the Smart TV box game and was similarly to the OP wondering which box would i be better off getting. Im currently drawn to the Amazon Fire box as it seems little hassle other than sideloading Kodi. Kodi would be the only real use i have for the device but additional apps are welcome.
I was looking to spend around the £70 mark. Main use will be to stream sports and movies. I have limited knowledge when it comes down to the specs of these devices. So to recap:
Smart Box in the UK
Kodi friendly
Can handle live streams and movies with no juddering (aware alot is dependant on source and internet speeds etc).
Budget upto 80 GBP
Thank you in advance

I don't recommend the fire stick, I've yet to install kodi but that's not the worst of my problems... It internet connection to it keeps failing... A simple google of the problem and this came up.. http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=c...OG0K31UBSB
(2015-06-25, 21:20)oneilnufc Wrote: Smart Box in the UK
Kodi friendly
Budget upto 80 GBP
Thank you in advance
For the £85 price, this beastie is superior to any other device for Kodi (its a Chromebox clone):
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229668

(2015-06-26, 04:12)wrxtasy Wrote: For the £85 price, this beastie is superior to any other device for Kodi (its a Chromebox clone):
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229668

I've just got one of these and they're great. Very quiet as well.

You would need to spend an extra £2-10 for a displayport->HDMI adapter.

Additionally it does not have built in wifi, so you'll either need to have a hard-wired connection (home plug/powerline adapters are good for this) OR a wifi adapter (either USB stick or internal wifi card).

You could control it via a smartphone or tablet app if you don't want to spend any more on a IR remote control & USB receiver.
Thanks for the reply guys, I am awaiting an offer from flubit for the HP device. Reading through the link posted discussing the HP there's a lot of talk of adding hardware etc. Would this be fine with no additional hardware. Obviously I would get the HDMI adaptor but that's fine.
UPDATE

The first stick works great at my gf house, kodi installed and everything playing smooth.

It's strange because at my place we have better/stronger Internet service...

The videos on kodi are all playing at wide screen and it's also has a slight cut of picture on the sides... anyone have that problem
(2015-06-26, 20:05)oneilnufc Wrote: Thanks for the reply guys, I am awaiting an offer from flubit for the HP device. Reading through the link posted discussing the HP there's a lot of talk of adding hardware etc. Would this be fine with no additional hardware. Obviously I would get the HDMI adaptor but that's fine.

Apart from the HDMI adaptor, the only thing you might need is a USB wifi stick, as the HP unit doesn't have built-in wifi, only a RJ-45 Ethernet socket.

However if you already have a wired network connection where you intend to use the device, or a router nearby, you'll be fine without any additional hardware.

You'll just need a network patch cable to connect the HP device to your network, for locally stored content (from another computer or NAS) or accessing internet based content.

The HP unit has everything else built-in:
- Intel celeron processor
- 2gb RAM
- 32gb m2 SSD with Win8.1 installed

Are you planning on using the pre-installed windows OS or install an alternative OS?

I've installed openelec onto a USB stick for my unit. That way I can keep the Windows OS intact, while booting directly into openelec from USB.
(2014-11-01, 23:32)bgvillones Wrote: Hi there I just want to know what's the best tv box for xbmc use only? Linux, windows, android, ios or raspberry? and the specific tv box? Help me pls because I'm planning to buy one that I'm gonna use on a 4k led tv. Thank you so much! Big Grin

MOD EDIT: removed large text formatting. It doesn't make you "louder" to make the text larger.

I have 2 minix boxes: NeoX7mini and NeoX8H-Plus
Love m both. No additional hardware needed. Runs out of the box with Kodi installed.
(2015-06-27, 10:24)decpvr Wrote: I've installed openelec onto a USB stick for my unit. That way I can keep the Windows OS intact, while booting directly into openelec from USB.

What's the advantage of doing this as opposed to running Kodi on windows?
(2015-06-27, 12:51)Roders Wrote:
(2015-06-27, 10:24)decpvr Wrote: I've installed openelec onto a USB stick for my unit. That way I can keep the Windows OS intact, while booting directly into openelec from USB.

It's a stripped down Linux based OS which boots directly into Kodi.

The advantage for me is stability and ease of use. As soon as I turn on my device Kodi is on a ready to use.

The hardware requirements are lower - openelec will happily run on 2gb RAM (possibly less?), where windows can get slow and bogged down, depending on what else is running your system.

Also there's no windows update or patches to worry about or get in the way.

Essentially it's a Kodi OS, which is free, stable and very lightweight.
(2015-06-27, 12:51)Roders Wrote:

OpenElec is designed purely to run Kodi (and a few other HTPC things) - so is far less hassle than Kodi on Windows. It's also a much lighter weight distro, so performance is often better (lower CPU usage for the same tasks). You also don't get all the Windows stuff like pop-ups nagging you about things, Windows updates taking ages to install etc.
Ok thanks. I'm aware of what openelec is but mostly I was curious if there were speed advantages. Does running it on an external usb device not slow things down compared to windows on the ssd?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the best tv box for xbmc use only?1