Looking to put together a team for a new skin - details in post
Good Evening Everyone.

Firstly I hope this is the best place to put this if not please could a mod move it for me.

I have been using XBMC for a while now and been making minor modifications and messing with addons to get it working how I want. I truly love it, however trying to convince my wife that we will 100% move over to XBMC for everything TV wise and like I imagine many other none tech savvy people are having a difficult time moving over to it especially for Live TV use.

So I have an idea, a vision... A skin that not only looks beautiful, modern and powerful but also most importantly simple to navigate and focused on Live TV.

I am realistic though I know there is no way I can acheive this on my own so I would love to put together a team of people so we can make this happen.

I am happy to provide resources that I can such as any hosting, server related stuff, communications etc etc as well as my effort into the skin and at the end of the day it will be our skin credits to everyone involved and hopefully we can maintain it as a mainstream skin and even improve XBMC/Kodi to a bigger user base.

So here are requirements for the skin so far in my eyes:

1. From install all default settings be simple to use and not require advanced configuration
  2. Clean cut, modern and easy to navigate
  3. Highly customiseable with advanced configurations for those that wish too go more in depth
  4. Heavy focus on Live TV side of things with a really easy EPG
  5. Home screen customiseable to add abilities for arrangements and addons

If you are interested in being part of this team please reply to this post or pm me and I will see what the interest is and see if we can start things going.

Regards,
Max
Hi! I am very new to skinning but I have been doing graphical UI work by myself a lot in the past. so, I basically do know up to a point how to code with the xml files but I'm mostly good at graphics. I understand your idea and I'm looking for a theme like this too. I'm currently switching my house to XBMC too. I also think this should be made for Kodi and not XBMC.

One question ; Is one of the theme's goal to have a big emphasis on live TV or did I not understand it well?

Anyway, looking forward to being on the team.
I started making something In Powerpoint 2013 (My favorite concepting tool ever!)

I was also thinking up a name that would sound cool and fit the theme, the name kodi and the creators. I came up with

Now here are some screens of the TV guide :

Main View

Long-Press Menu

Info Panel

Tell me what you think of these, I'll be looking forward to your comments.
Hi TripingPC,

Thanks for the first reply. You are correct I want a big emphasis on Live TV, IE this Theme is designed so that none techy people can easily transition from something like Sky to XBMC/Kodi and just get on with it but still have everything else there and ontop of that have some powerful settings allowing advanced users to customise it as much as they want.

As for the pics you have posted it is nice, I have a few different ideas myself regarding the EPG but this is something we can go through together as a team to hash out exactly what its going to be. Also again with the name I think a group chat once the team is together, If I saw that name personally I would think it was a music system which is sort of against the main aim of the theme if I am honest.

Also as for the support of the Theme yes it would be for Kodi and future support I would like to try and keep this skin alive.

One thing that would be helpful can people post their timezone would help knowing when we can have meetings Smile I will also supply ways we can group chat offline to keep things going well.

Regards,
Max
Oh, if you thought this font was Arial, you're mistaken as this is the Lato font. a hundred times more readable than Arial and even open-source.
Ok? I didn't mention the font lol.
Nah, just that well, I had forgot to mention it.
If you want the skin to be powerful and easy to use that really means a lot of careful "third person" thought about UX (user experience)

By third person I mean you have to don the metaphorical hat of a non-tech person and think if I was used to Sky and was given no option but to use Kodi and this skin then how would the transition be made simplest?

I've done some UX work before in a previous job, and know when something really does not work, it is a very difficult thing to do when dealing with enormous variables. Think about Sky for a minute, you have in effect a remote control with pre-defined keys that everyone who uses it accepts that the buttons do one thing and are always the same, they don't do different things on different screens (red/yel/blue/grn buttons aside)
So essentially you have limited number of simple navigation functions to play with, cursor, yes, no/back, video play/ffwd/rev pause etc.

So with that in mind you need to be able to do all the basics very well and very simply, it has to be intuitive and easy to understand (messagaes that mean something when you get it wrong!)

Hope that helps Smile
Your epg looks like a PseudoTV Live skin. A
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Yeah you're right, had never heard of pseudotv live beofre, it's funny how comcast and my local cable company uses the same EPG system. My mom is so used to this, but I think it's ugly.
(2014-11-05, 00:13)TripingPC Wrote: Yeah you're right, had never heard of pseudotv live beofre, it's funny how comcast and my local cable company uses the same EPG system. My mom is so used to this, but I think it's ugly.

there are some great skins available too

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5o7677fnp6u84...XISSa?dl=0

just place one of them in the custom skin folder
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to put together a team for a new skin - details in post0