Use netbook as PVR?
I have a spare notebook (Medion Akoya E1222, http://aldi.medion.com/md98240/uk/ , upgraded to 2 GB RAM). My cheap DVB-T settop box (which was used as PVR) does not work any more. So I thougt that the notebook - with the proper software installed - maybe could be used as replacement for the settop box. I do not want a full blown media center, just some hardware/software to setup and control DVB-t recording (especially I am interested in getting all subtitles, including those for hearing-impared).

So, is this possible with this notebook and Kodi? And, if yes, which OS should I use (some Linux)? And, finally, is there a special "small" version of kodi, that I can use for this purpose?

Thank you and best regards,
Poul
yes

OpenELEC (wiki)

OpenELEC (wiki)
Thank you for the answer. I wil try that. However, on http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...g_OpenELEC is stated:

"PAY ATTENTION!!! If there is another disk drive inside please unplug it while installing! There is a bad bug in the installation routine which could damage a not selected drive!!! (So unfortunately I lost my data)"

Does this mean that I have to "open" the netbook and disconnect the harddisk when installing OpenELEC? Or what ...?

Regards Poul
Huh, that's a weird warning. I normally just get as far as making the USB drive and never noticed the other instructions, as I just plug in the USB drive and follow the prompts. Either I've been risking data loss as well, or the warning is outdated. From the history of the wiki page it was added at least in 2012.

Either way, it sounds like this would only be an issue if you have two internal hard drives, which is unlikely on a laptop. Installing OpenELEC means reformatting that drive anyways, so unless that isn't what you wanted to do, I wouldn't worry about it.
I think I'm being dim. can you leave a windows OS HDD inside the laptop but select to boot by default from say an 8Gb SD card on OpenELEC instead? Or do you have to use the internal HDD?

Just so I can leave my familiar OS on one of a few netbooks I have, but make them a bit quicker using OpenELEC for viewing pleasure.
Thanks for the answer/comment.

Is it possible to have both Windows 7 and OpenELEC (dual boot)?

Regarding recording: Is it possible - with OpenELEC - to choose dynamically if recording should be done on the hard disk, an usb device (stick or disk) or sd card?

Thanks and regards,
Poul
Yeah, that works too. You just select the SD card (or another USB drive) in the installer.

I'm honestly not sure about that warning though. My gut says that it's probably just an outdated warning, but maybe someone else on the forums here can confirm for us.
I have a spare netbook I might use as a sacrificial lamb to see!

I was thinking about using the internal hard drive as storage for recorded content as a test, then maybe sort my NAS out properly and record to that once I have it all stable as needed, as PoulO asks, I suppose it is a case of setting file paths for the save locations of PVR files.
Thanks for the answers.

I am looking forward to hear about the results of the "sacrifice".

But I have still sure if I will use OpenELEC. I would prefer something that runs under Windows.

Thanks and regards,
Poul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use netbook as PVR?0