Linux Can't download or install addons in Gotham
System details:
Distro: OpenELEC 4.2.1 (Generic.x86_64)
xbmc: Gotham 13.2 Git:0f3db05 (compiled Oct 4 2014)

When I try and install any official xbmc.org repo addons, it *appears* to download, but never installs successfully. Additionally, I can't even manually download and install from the zipfile, however I've successfully installed addons from the OpenELEC repo without any issues.

When I try and install from the repo, the download stops at an arbitrary percentage, and does nothing. When I check the addons/packages folder, the addon has been downloaded in its entirety, but no luck. When I run an md5sum against both the downloaded file and one I've grabbed manually, they match:

Code:
obiwan:~/.xbmc/addons/packages # md5sum ./plugin.video.youtube-4.4.10.zip /storage/downloads/\!\ New/plugin.video.youtube-4.4.10.zip
60a2512551beb1338781bd7a26fdd0f5  ./plugin.video.youtube-4.4.10.zip
60a2512551beb1338781bd7a26fdd0f5  /storage/downloads/! New/plugin.video.youtube-4.4.10.zip

Just in case this was an issue with addon vs xbmc version (there's no YouTube addon in the gotham folder on the mirror), I tried with the Engadget addon, to the same effect. netstat shows no sessions open to public IPs on port 80, except the initial session that seemed to end but do nothing (log line 137 below).

Debug log at http://pastebin.com/kuRcaGH1. Interesting log lines I could find are:
  • 132: started trying YouTube download
  • 137: closed session to mirrors.xbmc
  • 230: attempted local install of YouTube 4.4.10 zip
  • 282: attempted local install of YouTube 4.4.9 zip
  • 395: best guess as to where I tried the install of Engagdet and got no feedback
At this stage, rollback to an earlier OpenELEC with Frodo isn't an option (this all started because I needed to upgrade anyway, and wanted to reinstall the addons I had), but gut feel this is a problem with the xbmc mirrors, as I don't have any problems with the OpenELEC repos. That wouldn't explain issues installing from local zip, though, would it?

At a loss here. I'm no newb (to networking, Linux or xbmc), but this has me stumped. Any suggestions?
Just by way of an update, I upgraded to OpenELEC beta 4.95.2, which contains Kodi 14.0 BETA2 Git:bd7da38 (compiled Nov 12 2014) with no discernible change in behaviour.

Scratch that - the beta broke other addons, so back to 4.2.1.

Has no one else really experienced this? Belated, I know, but I think I'll go ask on the OpenELEC forums too.
Sometimes this happens when a mirror is down.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I hear you, but my testing doesn't bear that theory out, especially when you take into account that I can't even manually install from the zipfile.
It may happen that way if both XBMC and your manual download of the zip come from the same mirror and they both fail to download completely.

Try seeing if the file is a valid zip - if it unzips cleanly it is complete. If it is incomplete, unzipping will fail.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Excellent thought - I should've mentioned that was one of the first things I checked. The zip definitely extracts without errors, and the relevant addon.xml is perfectly readable.
Your md5sum for plugin.video.youtube-4.4.10.zip even matches mine!

Dunno what is happening.
Thanks for confirming. It's definitely an odd one, for sure.
I guess you could try unzipping directly into ~/.xbmc/addons (or looking to see if they are in that directory already)
(2014-11-14, 05:19)nickr Wrote: I guess you could try unzipping directly into ~/.xbmc/addons (or looking to see if they are in that directory already)

D'oh! Never thought of that. That did the trick, after manually working through the dependencies and unzipping them too. Just... strange that the "proper" methods aren't working. Will be interesting to see if they self-update when required...

Cheers for your help.
So not to hijack the thread but I have Gothem 13.2 installed on multiple computers.
First is my windows 7 desktop that has had this installed for some time. It has addons installed and everything.
Another installation is on a windows 7 laptop that also has a few addons.

Today I attempted to install the xbmc ubuntu version on a spare computer. XBMC Addons weren't showing, got that resolved. Couldn't install any addons at first because it seems like the required ones weren't downloading. That finally resolved itself as well. So then I attempt to install an addon like youtube. It "looks" like it is downloading but never goes past 0%. So I checked my two other installations. Same problem. Attempting to access the xbmc addon mirror is hit or miss. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn't. Even when it does it is extremely slow.

Does this seem like a problem with a mirror and not my installs? I've never had this happen before.

Thanks.
Yes sounds like a mirror problem.
Yea it appears so. There seems to be other mirrors that are much faster for me right now, but it won't use them.
I've seen that you can change the mirror on a Windows system in a config file. Is there any way to force XBMC to use a different mirror in Ubuntu?

This is really annoying because I basically can't get anything to install because it's just a trickle down effect of dependencies that can't be downloaded.
The config file should be the same in any OS.

You can download manually and install from the zip file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't download or install addons in Gotham0