Kodi 14 freezes when trying to access settings
Ubuntu 14, 10, 64-bit
XBMC 13,2

XBMC freezes whenever I try to access the "system > settings" menu - occasionally it freezes also when I try to exit via the exit button. The only way to exit is by a hard reboot. Starting XBMC, going to the "Movies" and "System" sections, watching a movie, exiting with the exit button all works fine. But as soon as I enter System > settings, the mouse freezes. Nothing works. When I had issues with previous XBMC freezing randomly once in a while, I could always plug in a removable device and the window pops up asking what to do and that way exiting XBMC. But now even that doesn't work.

I did not have this issue with the version that came before version 14. I noticed that this started happening about two weeks ago but since I don't use XBMC that very often it's hard to say if this wasn't present when I first installed Kodi 14 many weeks ago.

Since I can't access settings, I can't activate the debug log to post here as per instructions. How can I assist you with information then?

I have googled this and apparently a lot of people have this issue with Kodi 14.
People have written that the problems have been caused by/have been solved by:
-disconnecting the internet (bad data feed caused by an add-on, was the explanation of an user)
-deleting repositories in .xbmc/usedata
-disabling addons (specifically "TVshow next aired")

I have tried all these solutions but with no luck.
Please enable debug logging, reproduce the issue and pastebin the entire log so we can so what's going on.
You'll have to manually enable debug logging via advancedsettings.xml. Please see http://kodi.wiki/view/AdvancedSettings.xml#loglevel for more information.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Ok, I have to say that I am not very big on all this code.

I have previously created advanced.xml for another purpose so that is taken care of. Can I add this new input in existing file? Or do I replace the file temporarily? If I can just add to it, how do I add the new text (do I write another "advancedsettings" text that go along with the new input or can I just add to existing?)?

What should the input be exactly?
Is:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

all that is needed?

Uncertain about what option to use. I noticed that it says in the instructions that it logs by default when an error occurs... So there isn't any misunderstanding, I haven't messed with the default setting, I just assumed it was disabled. Do I really have to enable this (or maybe it's not the default that is needed here?)?

Urgh... We haven't even begun and I have asked thousand questions.
(2014-11-04, 11:46)MrSmoothie Wrote: Ok, I have to say that I am not very big on all this code.

I have previously created advanced.xml for another purpose so that is taken care of. Can I add this new input in existing file? Or do I replace the file temporarily? If I can just add to it, how do I add the new text (do I write another "advancedsettings" text that go along with the new input or can I just add to existing?)?
just add it

Quote:What should the input be exactly?
Is:
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

all that is needed?

Uncertain about what option to use. I noticed that it says in the instructions that it logs by default when an error occurs... So there isn't any misunderstanding, I haven't messed with the default setting, I just assumed it was disabled. Do I really have to enable this (or maybe it's not the default that is needed here?)?

Urgh... We haven't even begun and I have asked thousand questions.
yes you should just add <loglevel hide="false">1</loglevel> if you already have that file
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
How can I confirm it was a success?

Never mind. I will continue with instructions in http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy
Your debug xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=340501
Your debug xbmc.old.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=340502

Is there any "harm" if I let the debugging be enabled as it is now (it says in the instructions that I can disable it, why does that matter)?
The log doesn't show you entering settings, either is there an indication that kodi has crashed. AND its not Kodi either, you run xbmc 13.2
6. If XBMC crashes:
Go into Programs and just highlight the XBMC Log Uploader entry (don't enter it). Then bring up the context menu (press C on a keyboard or info on some remotes) and select "Add-on settings". Then uncheck "Always skip XBMC.old.log (log from previous run)". Now it will upload the debug log of when XBMC crashed (the previous run).

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

Regarding step 6 above; shouldn't I recreate the problem after I have unchecked "Always skip XBMC.old.log" - not before?

Oops. I'm terribly sorry. You are right, I am running XBMC 13,2 (I have recently upgraded ubuntu to 14.10, and mixed them up). Does this change the instructions I have been given and following?

"either is there an indication that kodi has crashed"
Shouldn't there be an "or" after that?
that should have read: neither is there..

so you run ubuntu 14.10, but with xbmc 13.2. Now the issue might very well be, that we do not provide Gotham builds for ubuntu 14.10.. You probably run the version built for 14.04.
Install kodi from the unstable ppa.
The question is if I really want to install an unstable version Smile Doesn't it come with "use as your own risk" warning after all? That means I could be trading one problem for another. But your conclusion seems to make sense. Thanks! I wonder if can downgrade XBMC instead...

One last thing...
To add to previous report: I tried to generate a new log and noted the time stamps of when it froze, rebooted etc. And the log doesn't seem to be logging the actual hard boot, why is that?

Example:
I started XBMC 13:45 and was idle up to 13:48.
Recreated the problem so it froze 13.53.
Did the hard boot 13:54.

The old.log is up to 13:48 and hasn't logged the events after that. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 14 freezes when trying to access settings1