47.952 / 48 Hz auto switch for 23.976 / 24 fps videos
Hi,

I like the idea of having an option to make XBMC switch to 48p instead of 24p when playing a 24p content.
What is your opinion about that?

Do you know if it's already possible somehow?

I know there is an app name Autofrequency, that can analyse a video file, switch frequency, send the video to a player, and reswitch.

Maybe there is an XBMC addon allowing to call an external app just before launching the player?
you can do that already via advancedsettings, but I really don't see the usecase. Your TV already does it internally(often configurable)
No current tv supports 48p input signal anyway.
What's your hardware? By the repeated use of the word app I suppose it's an android device right?
If that's the case, android by design doesn't support auto framerate switching, neither 24p output.
Some devices do, with hacks/patches, e.g.
And, as mentioned, the TV itself handles the input signal in the way it can, depending on its settings and the model.
Actually, there are TOTALLY displays that will do 48hz!

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread...tility-CRU

I have a cheap Dynex TV but I simply used Custom Resolution Utility to force support of 48hz and 72hz into my Windows 7 based HTPC and when Windows output those refresh rates, the TV -actually- switches to that refresh rate correctly. I did it to mine because 24hz gave me that weird lag issue with audio, but it doesn't happen if 48hz or 72hz are used instead. Since they're multiples of the playback framerate, you don't see the judder that you do on 60hz. Smile

Similarly, I used CRU to force my Asus PB278Q monitor to take 72hz even though it only officially goes up to 60hz. I do visual effects and 72hz when working on 24fps film projects is nicer than 60hz. I heard of people going up to 85hz on some monitors.

Obviously support would vary greatly between individual monitors, but support does seem to be broader than what you see on the box or in EDID.
(2014-11-05, 21:09)wsnipex Wrote: you can do that already via advancedsettings
Thanks so much! I looked at the wiki and you're right, you can choose which refresh rate to choose according to the video FPS with advancedsettings!
I just have to get the custom res first Smile

(2014-11-05, 21:09)wsnipex Wrote: I really don't see the usecase. Your TV already does it internally(often configurable)
My TV doesn't do it internally, it does stuff like IFC (Intelligent Frame Creation) but doesn't refresh at 48Hz unless i tell it to.

(2014-11-05, 21:20)host505 Wrote: No current tv supports 48p input signal anyway.
What's your hardware? By the repeated use of the word app I suppose it's an android device right?
If that's the case, android by design doesn't support auto framerate switching, neither 24p output.
Some devices do, with hacks/patches, e.g.
And, as mentioned, the TV itself handles the input signal in the way it can, depending on its settings and the model.
My TV is a Panasonic STW60
XBMC is on a Windows Seven PC

(2014-11-05, 22:51)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Actually, there are TOTALLY displays that will do 48hz!

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread...tility-CRU

I have a cheap Dynex TV but I simply used Custom Resolution Utility to force support of 48hz and 72hz into my Windows 7 based HTPC and when Windows output those refresh rates, the TV -actually- switches to that refresh rate correctly. I did it to mine because 24hz gave me that weird lag issue with audio, but it doesn't happen if 48hz or 72hz are used instead. Since they're multiples of the playback framerate, you don't see the judder that you do on 60hz. Smile

Similarly, I used CRU to force my Asus PB278Q monitor to take 72hz even though it only officially goes up to 60hz. I do visual effects and 72hz when working on 24fps film projects is nicer than 60hz. I heard of people going up to 85hz on some monitors.

Obviously support would vary greatly between individual monitors, but support does seem to be broader than what you see on the box or in EDID.
Exactly. My display is supposed to accept 47.952Hz, so I'll try to make a custom res and set the advancedsettings up in order to switch to this new freq.

I'll let you all know!
And thanks again to wsnipex for answering the topic question Smile
This program messes with the TVs EDIT to accept out-of-specs signal and refresh rates, do you really want that on your great and soon to be rare (if not already) plasma?
All you'll achieve is push your gpu some more.
As wsnipex said you don't need that, your TV already does that. When a european panasonic plasma tv accepts 24p signal it refreshes at 96hz (24x4).
When frame interpolation (24p Smooth Film) is off it repeats each frame 4 times.
When at low it also refreshes at 96hz but it introduces some new frames created by the FI algorithm.
At higher levels I don't know exactly what it does, I think it refreshes at 60hz but with more new frames created.

If you force a plasma TV to refresh at 48hz (or anything lower than 60hz) you will get unbearable flickering. Ask an american panasonic plasma owner (american panasonic plasmas have a 48hz mode).

Anyway that program is awesome if your tv doesn't handle some framerates correctly. Some tvs reproduce 24p at 60hz with 3:2 pulldown for example.
I tried it on my nvidia laptop and I couldn't believe my eyes when I played a 24p pattern perfectly fine!
I wasn't aware the TV was refreshing at 96Hz.
When i hit INFO, it says 1080p 24Hz.

I have 24p Smooth Film activated in Low, though.

But if I deactivate it totally, the TV "flickers", it bothers me, so I would think, on the contrary, that if deactivated, the TV is at true 24Hz, hence the flickering.

That's why I wanted to try 48Hz, in order to have fluid image without flickering, but also without image creation (artifacts) and not to much "camcorder" effect.
The TVs Info refers to the input signal. If a plasma TV refreshes at 24hz you'd get sick after a while watching it.
Maybe what you think is flicker is just the normal 24p judder. When you have slow panning large light colors it is like flicker indeed, but you can't avoid that without FI.
The most flickery mode is 60hz because it is the lower frequency the tv operates (50hz input signal makes the tv refresh at 100hz). If you have your desktop at 60 for example you might see some flicker at white spaces.
OK, thanks for the explanation!

So, if the TV outputs at 96Hz weither the input is 24Hz or 48Hz, there is no point indeed in messing with the output player frequency...

To resume :

input 24Hz --> output 96Hz
input 48Hz --> output 96Hz
input 25Hz --> output 100Hz
input 60Hz --> output 60Hz

Is that right?
(2014-11-06, 20:48)djoole Wrote: input 48Hz --> output 96Hz

Is that right?

I'm not sure about that, as there isn't a standard for 48p yet (despite the 2 hobbit films) so the TV wouldn't know how to handdle it.

Remember the CRU program above messes with gpu's output AND tv's input. So with that program it migth be possible to create a 48p acceptable refresh rate for the TV.
But I haven't seen any real 48p sources, only fake ones from the Hobbit (FI products).
But even if the TV would really output at 48Hz, for you, it would be a quality downgrade when playing 24p products (flickering) instead of letting it display 4x24Hz by itself.. right?
I haven't seen a plasma operating at 48hz but occasionally I see flickering even at 60hz, so...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
47.952 / 48 Hz auto switch for 23.976 / 24 fps videos0