Starting XBMC with the Apple Remote not working on KODI
(2014-11-08, 17:51)Memphiz Wrote: It might be needed to toggle the "always" on function once for updating the launchagent script (which launches XBMCHelper after login). This will update it to point to the correct XBMCHelper file.

Thanks for the test build. I am currently downloading it.

I am not sure whether I understand your comment above though. Where and what do I have to "toggle"?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
System-system-Input-"Allow to Start kodi via Remote"or what its called
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Perfect, works! Thanks!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Hmm, I think I broke it...

I always go for a clean start. So I deleted the old version of KODI, stopped the process 'XBMChelper' in the Activity Monitor and installed the latest version from Memphiz's post.

Now all remote activity is lost in KODI and there is no such thing anymore as XBMChelper or KODIhelper (if that exists) in the Activity Monitor.
(The remote itself works just fine in OS X)

As usual: any help is welcome and if you need more info, just let me know.

Thanks!
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
Thanks for the test build! I just installed in on Yosemite and it allowed me to start/load Kodi with the remote. Unfortunately once loaded, there was no longer any remote control over Kodi with the Harmony remote but I exited Kodi and rebooted and all OK now.

I have noticed that Screen Sharing grinds to a halt when Kodi is running but I will post this in the correct area and it might not be a Kodi issue (more of a Yosemite/OS X issue perhaps) anyway.

Thanks again! Keep up the excellent work!
(2014-11-08, 17:51)Memphiz Wrote: Testbuild:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg

It should be downloadable in 30 to 60 minutes or so when the mirrors are synced.

It might be needed to toggle the "always" on function once for updating the launchagent script (which launches XBMCHelper after login). This will update it to point to the correct XBMCHelper file.

(2014-11-09, 20:09)Zokkel Wrote: Hmm, I think I broke it...

No I didn't.
I think there's still a bug in your build:
If I install Beta 1, then install Mephiz over it and not touching the remote settings, it works.
But when I disable the remote in Memphiz build and then enable it again, it's gone (read: XBMChelper is not running anymore in activity monitor) and the remote is not working at all in KODI.

Also in Beta 1: if you disable the remote, you get a warning (that doesn't appear in Memphiz build) and XBMChelper is not in the Activity Monitor. When you enable the remote again XBMChelper is back in the Activity Monitor (that doesn't happen in Memphiz build) and the remote is working again in KODI (not happening in Memphiz build).

So, my guess is that Memphiz build fails to create the XBMChelper. Or it's just not working on my machine...

No offense for your hard work dear Memphiz !
this warning is definitly there - i don't know whats going on ... there are 2 settings - the first which decides which kind of remote you have (one of the options is "disabled") - that option shows the warning you were talking about i think.

The second option makes XBMCHelper a service (this is needed for allowing it to start kodi via remote). Having the first option set to something not "disabled" should start the XBMCHelper process. The second option makes it stick via launchagent and might restart XBMCHelper for some seconds.

Please have a look into the system log - XBMCHelper prints stuff there if something is wrong...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
@Memphiz: is this (potential) fix rolled into nightly/beta2 builds yet.. or currently just in your test build linked above? Thanks in advance / keep up the hard work! Smile
No its not merged yet - waiting for approval of a release manager atm see:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5678

Also the fact that Zokkel doesn't confirm the fix might hold it back a bit (though i have no clue what else i should change).
(2014-11-10, 16:56)Memphiz Wrote: No its not merged yet - waiting for approval of a release manager atm see:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5678

Also the fact that Zokkel doesn't confirm the fix might hold it back a bit (though i have no clue what else i should change).

Good point well made! My interest is re. a new Mac Mini I've got waiting to replace an ageing Windows XBMC media centre - going to use the opportunity to move to Helix once all the key kinks are ironed out (relevant to my setup, a remote being rather key for a lounge media centre!) - will have a play around with Helix Beta 2 and your test build on it this evening to see if I can add some further input re. fixed/partially/still broken status. Thanks for the continued enthusiasm to fix.
Here is what I did exactly:

KODI beta was installed.
Disabled the remote in system input settings (XBMChelper disappears in Activity Monitor)
Exit KODI,
Installed Memphiz version. Start KODI
Go to system input settings, enabled the remote + allow start of xbmc
Remote is not working... (no XBMChelper in Activity Monitor)

On my machine, Memphiz version is simply not taking control of the remote and not creating the XBMChelper,

Made a debug log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=348571
(Start KODI-Memphiz go to input devices enable and disable again the remote, exit KODI. All with keyboard input off course)

Hope it helps.
No that helps not at all. I would need the related parts from your system.log (this is where the XBMCHelper service logs to). Also could you try to manually start XBMCHelper from a cmdline (/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper). You should see the help of the tool with possible parameters.
You're testing my skills here man! I'm not a MAC-fan (just got a as a present years back)
But I'll do what I can:

This is my system log (found in the console-app):
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=348645

Manually also not working. But I guess I'm doing something wrong.
Just pasted that line in the terminal. Like that:

Last login: Wed Nov 12 12:51:30 on console
Mac-mini-van-McZokkel:~ McZokkel$ /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper
-bash: /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper: No such file or directory
Mac-mini-van-McZokkel:~ McZokkel$ /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper
-bash: /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper: No such file or directory
Mac-mini-van-McZokkel:~ McZokkel$

(second time KODI was running, first time not)
Well i just misstyped the path i guess ... (hard when doing it out of mind without a real mac infront of you). It should be:

/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper

Please try it again (looks like you did it right on the console. I fear this is some sort of incompatibility of the new XBMCHelper binary and the osx 10.7.x (i only develop under osx 10.9 nowadays and don't have old osx versions anymore).
No problem, I appreciate your help.

here's what happened now:

Last login: Wed Nov 12 13:17:19 on ttys000
Mac-mini-van-McZokkel:~ McZokkel$ /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper
Illegal instruction: 4
Mac-mini-van-McZokkel:~ McZokkel$ /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/tools/darwin/runtime/XBMCHelper
Illegal instruction: 4
Mac-mini-van-McZokkel:~ McZokkel$

Would updating to a new OS X help? I think Yosemite is out of my league for the old mini
(edit: hmm can't upgrade: even 10.8 mountain lion requires mac mini starting from 2009...)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting XBMC with the Apple Remote not working on KODI0