Is there a tutorial on installing AirPlay on ATV1?
Header pretty much says it, just wondering if AirPlay can be installed or activated on my Apple TV silver gen1, and if so, is it a simple enable button in System or something like that or do I need to jump over to a wiki that does a detailed explanation of how to enable it?

Somewhat unrelated (to AirPlay) is a question my wife asked me. Can we use the "Pictures" function in XBMC to somehow create groups or categories that can be selected? I haven't used the picture function, don't even know if it's limited to stills or video clips, but I'd at least like to have selections like Family, Vacations, Pets, Car Shows, Videos, etc. and be able to use the Apple remote to select the category.

Thanks in advance for all/any advice. -Mike
In XBMC goto system->services->airplay and enable the airplay server. For the pictures you have to rely on your filesystem structure atm. (meaming you need to sort your pictures into folders that are named like your category). There is no database in place for pictures yet which would allow grouping by category or thelike.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-11-06, 17:38)Memphiz Wrote: In XBMC goto system->services->airplay and enable the airplay server. For the pictures you have to rely on your filesystem structure atm. (meaming you need to sort your pictures into folders that are named like your category). There is no database in place for pictures yet which would allow grouping by category or thelike.

I went into XBMC System/Services/AirPlay and clicked it on so the blue button is showing. But when I sweep up the hidden grey menu on my iphone6 or ipad4 retina... a grey menu comes up but AirPlay is NOT on the list of options on either device. I'm guessing that for some reason the iPhone6 and iPad4 Retina are not recognizing the ATV1 and XBMC as being an AirPlay capable device? Or is it IOS v.8.1 thats causing all the problems?

Mike
Were your iOS devices unlocked when you checked for AirPlay? I know my iPhone 5S will only show AirPlay devices if I unlock it first. Just an idea.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-11-09, 03:20)wgstarks Wrote: Were your iOS devices unlocked when you checked for AirPlay? I know my iPhone 5S will only show AirPlay devices if I unlock it first. Just an idea.

When you say "show AirPlay devices" do you mean an icon or some notification appears on the phones screen? Or do you mean the AirPlay button will appear in the slide up grey menu? My menu slides up but there's no AirPlay selection visible. I'll have to post a picture I guess.
(2014-11-09, 15:31)DrGrafix Wrote:
(2014-11-09, 03:20)wgstarks Wrote: Were your iOS devices unlocked when you checked for AirPlay? I know my iPhone 5S will only show AirPlay devices if I unlock it first. Just an idea.

When you say "show AirPlay devices" do you mean an icon or some notification appears on the phones screen? Or do you mean the AirPlay button will appear in the slide up grey menu? My menu slides up but there's no AirPlay selection visible. I'll have to post a picture I guess.

It's the AirPlay icon in the grey slide up menu. But you can pull up the menu with the device locked or unlocked. The AirPlay icon only appears on mine when the device is unlocked. This is using iOS 8 and Gotham. I'm running Gotham on a mini though instead of an ATV. Not sure what difference that might make.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
network issues? ensure that iphone and atv1 are on the same subnet and multicast traffic is not filtered by any network component
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
WGStarks - When you say "unlocked" do you mean that I should disable the keypad code that must be entered to use my iPad? I tried disabling the passcode, but still don't see an AirPlay icon/button when I slide up the lower menu.

Memphiz - I do have two network channels a 5ghz and a 2.4ghz, each has its own login. I didn't realize the ATV1 could be changed to select a specific login? When I go to System Info/Network, I don't see any option to change anything. The subnet is the same for both the ATV1 and my iPad.

Thanks for trying to help me out guys.
(2014-11-10, 02:45)DrGrafix Wrote: WGStarks - When you say "unlocked" do you mean that I should disable the keypad code that must be entered to use my iPad? I tried disabling the passcode, but still don't see an AirPlay icon/button when I slide up the lower menu.
Actually I meant "Unlocked" as in- Enter the keypad code that must be entered to use (unlock) your iPad. But after doing a little experimenting it appears that I have been mistaken all along. When I push the "Home" button on my iPhone to wake it the AirPlay logo isn't on the grey screen and doesn't appear for about 10 seconds or so. I'm guessing there is a short time delay while it scans the local network. It looks like it was just coincidence that the AirPlay logo appeared about the same time that the iPhone finished the fingerprint scan and unlocked.

Perhaps this leads back to Memphiz's question about your network.
I think I had a KODi moment lol. Just realized that bc I'm using the CrystalHD card in my atv1its not broadcasting a handshake or whatever. It's hardwired to my network for optimum performance. Memphiz got me thinking about the network and then it hit me.

So unless there's a way for AirPlay iOS devices to send the AirPlay to the router and in turn to the atv1, it looks like AirPlay is not going to happen. Don't know if this is something the KODI developers can even tackle.

Mike
Can't you bridge your wifi and wired lan into one physical network? Its a prerequisite we can't change - bonjour traffic (which is used for detecting the airplay target) can't be routed (easily).
(2014-11-10, 22:34)Memphiz Wrote: Can't you bridge your wifi and wired lan into one physical network? Its a prerequisite we can't change - bonjour traffic (which is used for detecting the airplay target) can't be routed (easily).

LOL, Memphiz... You're dealing with an OCD 72 year old non-techie so what you just posted is pretty much all Greek to me! If you could distill it to lay mans terms, MAYBE I could figure out how to "bridge my wifi", but I'm not hopeful.

Mike
better leave it untouched then - doing it wrong and you won't be able to post here anymore. I am afraid i can't help you any further from here - to risky from the far...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a tutorial on installing AirPlay on ATV1?0