Can XBMC PVR Do distributed DVR with HDHomeRun Prime on FIOS?
Really want to get rid of some of my FIOS rental charges. Namely DVR and some STB's

Can a HDHomeRun with a m-card hooked to a XBMC provide a network distributed DVR system assuming all TV's had xbmc?

If so, any good guides/threads? directions?

Roveer
Requires a backend. All info on wiki. PVR (wiki)
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-11-06, 23:50)bry- Wrote: Requires a backend. All info on wiki. PVR (wiki)

Pvr
There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.
@roveer,

it can be done but you need some sort of backend (i.e. tvheadend, mythtv, server-wmc). like you, i didnt want to incur rental/dvr fees from fios, so i set up server-wmc on my main pc and hooked my xbmc/kodi clients to it.

look in the pvr section of the forum. lots of info there to get you started.
Server-wmc works really well.. you need to setup the hdhomerun and configure it as the backend i have wmc as my main tv and every xbmc equipment i have hooked up is able to do .. live tv,view recordings and schedule recordings.. i am very happy user .. i came from tivo and the more and more i use wmc/xbmc setup i am more and more pleased

You could also connect xbmc directly to the hdhomerun but you dont get guide or recording function .. ive tried mny different setups with hdhomerun .. and my personal experiance for guide info and easy setup is wmc.. and use server-wmc as xbmc pvr ... 5 total devices running in my home .. oh anothef note it is best to hardwire everything .. had buffering issues while using wifi not alot .. but ti the point it was getting irritating
(2014-11-07, 00:53)eightem Wrote: Server-wmc works really well.. you need to setup the hdhomerun and configure it as the backend i have wmc as my main tv and every xbmc equipment i have hooked up is able to do .. live tv,view recordings and schedule recordings.. i am very happy user .. i came from tivo and the more and more i use wmc/xbmc setup i am more and more pleased

You could also connect xbmc directly to the hdhomerun but you dont get guide or recording function .. ive tried mny different setups with hdhomerun .. and my personal experiance for guide info and easy setup is wmc.. and use server-wmc as xbmc pvr ... 5 total devices running in my home .. oh anothef note it is best to hardwire everything .. had buffering issues while using wifi not alot .. but ti the point it was getting irritating

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I just noticed that I posted in the developer forum. My apologies. I'm moving over to the PVR Support forum. Verizon just pulled a really sneaky thing and I lost my DVR for life credit because I made a change to my phone service. That was 20 bucks a month. Now I'm ripping the DVR out and sending it back to them or leaving Verizon all together. In any event. I'm going to look at the equipment/sw that you guys are using and see if it makes sense for me to set up a xbmc based system. We really don't DVR that much so I technically can live without it but I'm hoping that I can do 2 things with the hdhomerun prime.

1. Create a networked DVR for all my xbmc locations
2. Get 3 TV locations out of 1 cable card for live TV. thus reducing the Verizon equipment I have to rent. Now that I have lost 20 bucks a month.

My mistake for poking the bee's nest. Once you get a discount from Verizion they will do everything in their power (in the small print and behind the scenes) to make sure you lose it as quickly as possible.

Roveer
(2014-11-07, 00:17)roveer Wrote:
(2014-11-06, 23:50)bry- Wrote: Requires a backend. All info on wiki. PVR (wiki)

Pvr
There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

Sorry Sent from phone. Looks like the other guys have you on the right path
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-11-07, 23:03)roveer Wrote:
(2014-11-07, 00:53)eightem Wrote: Server-wmc works really well.. you need to setup the hdhomerun and configure it as the backend i have wmc as my main tv and every xbmc equipment i have hooked up is able to do .. live tv,view recordings and schedule recordings.. i am very happy user .. i came from tivo and the more and more i use wmc/xbmc setup i am more and more pleased

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I just noticed that I posted in the developer forum. My apologies. I'm moving over to the PVR Support forum. Verizon just pulled a really sneaky thing and I lost my DVR for life credit because I made a change to my phone service. That was 20 bucks a month. Now I'm ripping the DVR out and sending it back to them or leaving Verizon all together. In any event. I'm going to look at the equipment/sw that you guys are using and see if it makes sense for me to set up a xbmc based system. We really don't DVR that much so I technically can live without it but I'm hoping that I can do 2 things with the hdhomerun prime.

1. Create a networked DVR for all my xbmc locations
2. Get 3 TV locations out of 1 cable card for live TV. thus reducing the Verizon equipment I have to rent. Now that I have lost 20 bucks a month.

My mistake for poking the bee's nest. Once you get a discount from Verizion they will do everything in their power (in the small print and behind the scenes) to make sure you lose it as quickly as possible.

Roveer
Roveer, the main issue you will face is which channels/provider you have through your cablecard and how they flag channels regarding DRM. Anything flagged as "COPY_ONCE" cannot be distributed to XBMC through PVR backends. Some providers only flag "premium" channels like HBO etc as "COPY_ONCE" but other providers flag more or even ALL channels (I believe Time Warner may be one of the worse culprits). You would need to find out what the situation is for Verizon in your area.

Note that I am Australian so I am only going off what other support threads we have had in the ServerWMC backend support forum, I dont actually have personal experience iwth CableCards and DRM etc. But generally using Microsoft WMC with something like a HDHR Prime gives you very broad/easy support of the technology etc, then you can use ServerWMC to hook multiple XBMC clients back into the WMC streams/recordings, with the caveat that we can only support COPY_FREE channels. Although I am probably biased, I do think WMC/ServerWMC are one of the easiest backends to get up and running and the sheer breadth of support from Microsoft across all broadcast technologies worldwide and different tuner hardware devices/drivers etc mean that it gives alot of people alot of options. Althgouh people say WMC is dead, even the latest Windows 10 includes WMC capability so it certainly isnt going away any time in the near future. If you need more help with this stuff, come visit us in the WMC Backend subforum
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can XBMC PVR Do distributed DVR with HDHomeRun Prime on FIOS?0