Adding another box, suggestions?
Information 
I know this has been covered before and I have a read a few posts, but I have to ask for a little guidance.

I'm currently running an Acer Revo 3610 with Openelec and its been running rock solid for a couple years now, and it pretty much does everything I want. I'm in the market for an additional box for a second TV and when I started going through the forums it seems like the possibilities are endless.

I originally was thinking that I would buy another little Acer but then I started to see 4k, HEVC h.265.... and I continued down the rabbit hole. With all that being said I don't have a 4k TV so I'm not to worried about that and it's only going to be used for playing 1080p TV shows and Movies. Lastly, I don't care about a remote as I really like using the XBMC App on my iPhone.

So now the options are endless:

Do I go with a NUC...? what do I look for?
What about an Armlogic S812?
Realtek?
Ouya..?
Or do I just buy another Revo 3610 for $100?

I want the thing to a be a little future proof, at least when it comes to playing future video coding and HD Audio.

Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks!
Celeron NUC is all you need (will do HD audio and 1080p video).

You cant future proof it as PC hardware isn't available with HEVC hardware decoding or HDMI 2.0 outputs, likewise Kodi itself only supports software decoding of HEVC which means it's done by the CPU. You could get a Core i3 or Core i5 based NUC which would have the CPU power to software decode video.

There are Android boxes that claim to offer some of these but there are all sorts of hidden landmines with these units ranging from the limitations of Android OS to custom builds of Kodi from the box makers in order to make certain features work & overall shoddy quality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding another box, suggestions?0