DIY Ambilight
(2014-11-15, 06:39)metaplane Wrote: and yes the UNO has plenty of memory. I leave mine running 24/7 and it has never crapped out.
That's sort of dependent on how many LEDs you have and what other code you're running. However, I'm glad it's working for you. I used a Mega instead to make sure I had enough RAM to drive a 5m string of LEDs. It's only a few dollars more.
(2014-11-15, 05:24)nickr Wrote: I think I have seen three conductor ones too.

Where did you see the 3 conductor connectors, I have been looking for them and can't find them, I need some.

(2014-11-15, 17:06)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-11-15, 06:39)metaplane Wrote: and yes the UNO has plenty of memory. I leave mine running 24/7 and it has never crapped out.
That's sort of dependent on how many LEDs you have and what other code you're running. However, I'm glad it's working for you. I used a Mega instead to make sure I had enough RAM to drive a 5m string of LEDs. It's only a few dollars more.

I read somewhere (tried to find article again but no luck) you can safely drive 250 LEDs with an UNO. Biggest factor I found was the PC running Processing needs to be a fairly beefy machine and have plenty of RAM. How many LEDs are you driving Stereodude with the Mega?
(2014-11-15, 18:56)metaplane Wrote: Where did you see the 3 conductor connectors, I have been looking for them and can't find them, I need some.

I searched over a month and could not find any but that was about 8 months ago.

(2014-11-15, 18:56)metaplane Wrote: I read somewhere (tried to find article again but no luck) you can safely drive 250 LEDs with an UNO. Biggest factor I found was the PC running Processing needs to be a fairly beefy machine and have plenty of RAM. How many LEDs are you driving Stereodude with the Mega?
I'm running about 112 channels on a spark fun pro micro with an adilight script and using AmbiBox Windows 8.1 and getting a set rate of 30fps with no issues.
(2014-11-15, 18:56)metaplane Wrote: I read somewhere (tried to find article again but no luck) you can safely drive 250 LEDs with an UNO. Biggest factor I found was the PC running Processing needs to be a fairly beefy machine and have plenty of RAM. How many LEDs are you driving Stereodude with the Mega?
Currently only 16. Blush

I should point out that I'm not using it for "ambilight". I just wanted a constant D6500 white bias light on the wall behind the TV. I originally used a dimmable linear fluorescent 6500k tube, but after about a month of use the tube wouldn't start reliably. So I decided to move to RGB LEDs. I bought 5m since that was how much I would need (using 30LED/m strings) to outline my 64" TV. Turns out I only needed 16 LEDs to get the brightness of the wall that I wanted. I used a colorimeter pointed at the wall to dial in the white point of the light (which is horribly off at 255,255,255). I'm not very happy with the color uniformity over angle of the WS2812B LEDs. I have an idea on how to improve that situation, but I will need to make a custom PCB for the WS2812B LEDs in order to minimize it.
double post
Hi all...

I'm thinking of building a new abilight system for my setup.
Currently i have e 10 channel 90 led lightpack kit, but i think the zones are too big, and there for, i'm looking into creating a setup with Arduino UNO, WS2812b LEDs.

I'm wondering, how many LEDs is needed pr. meter? The stripes i'm looking at is coming 60 or 30 LEDs/meter. My tv is a 55" 4k Thomson tv.

I hope you guys can point me in a direction.

//TjaLfE
(2015-01-29, 15:03)TjaLfE Wrote: Hi all...

I'm thinking of building a new abilight system for my setup.
Currently i have e 10 channel 90 led lightpack kit, but i think the zones are too big, and there for, i'm looking into creating a setup with Arduino UNO, WS2812b LEDs.

I'm wondering, how many LEDs is needed pr. meter? The stripes i'm looking at is coming 60 or 30 LEDs/meter. My tv is a 55" 4k Thomson tv.

I hope you guys can point me in a direction.

//TjaLfE
I got the 30/meter strips and I think I have 108 led's on my 50" tv. I chose the 30/meter because first you have to power them all the more you have the bigger the power supply you need, and second some of the scripts I've seen so far limit the total number of LED's. I get a great effect from my tv.
Thanks for the reply...

How far from the wall are your LEDs?
The bottom ones are only about an inch from the wall so they don't shine much but that's ok since its over the fireplace mantle but the ones at the top are about 4" away.
Thanks for your reply LazerBlue.

I guess, that if the distance to wall should be larger with 30/m LEDs than with 60/m LEDs.
Not that it will be an issue for me to use the 30/m LEDs, as i got around 3-4" to the wall.
The wall distance will have nothing to do with the difference between 30 and 60/m. The difference will just be distance and mounting. I forgot to mention that the ones on the bottom of mine are almost pointed strait back where the ones on the side and top are angled out a little. Having then angled out will throw the light out farther.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY Ambilight0