UPnP improvements
I use Mezzmo as my media server (via UPnP/DLNA) so that I have unified library across all devices in my home.

I was excited to see the claims that Kodi had better UPnP support. I installed it, but I don't see any difference at all.

What am I missing?
I believe the improvements are where XBMC acts as the UPnP server. What improvements did you expect using Mezzmo as the server?
Version History:

On the output side, work continues, slowly but surely, on UPnP. Kodi is now significantly more compatible with servers like PlayOn and MediaBrowser, as client-related bugs have been dealt with. Further, communication between Kodi UPnP clients and Kodi UPnP servers continues to improve with proper or additional support for categories like date added, ratings, votes, and artwork, along with sorting for those new categories. UPnP search functions are also slowly working their way into Kodi.

I didn't have any expectations I just didn't see anything different with the way Kodi behaved as a client.

I was, at the very least, hoping for an option where Kodi didn't sort files from the UPnP source and left them to be sorted from the server end. As it is, the already sorted list gets screwed up by the handful of choices that Kodi offers. I also hoped that the "better communication" meant broader support of metdata as little more than the poster art, plot, genre and year are supported. I understand a lot of that focus was Kodi -> Kodi and not necessarily for broad support of different UPnP/DLNA servers, though

I've always thought it would be nice to be able to put a UPnP source on the blade, although that can be done with some skins by favoriting and sticking it on the blade as a favoritwe, so it's not really high on my wishlist.
As you suspect, the UPnP improvements are just what are currently in v14 right now, and v14 is being released soon simply because of the rename. Some really neat stuff that will allow for full metadata support and more is in the works. I keep forgetting to upload the demo video of this, but I will try to do that today.
So just so that I understand, there aren't any changes for Kodi as UPnP Client from v13.2 at this point?

No worries there, it's already the best UPnP client out there. I was just wondering if I had missed something.
There are many changes in the UPnP code from v13.2, but most of those changes probably won't be very exciting to most users. A lot of 'under the hood' type stuff, rather than totally new features.
From what I know, the UPNP spec doesn't have rich metadata support and we support what's in the spec. Some servers might extend that spec with custom metadata fields (like Kodi does as well), but there is no standard for these extra fields - so they won't just work out of the box. We would have to add specific support for various UPNP servers which we atm are not that interrested in. Current focus is on improving Kodi <-> Kodi communication and once that's finished we probably could look to support other specifics.
(2014-11-09, 13:00)da-anda Wrote: From what I know, the UPNP spec doesn't have rich metadata support and we support what's in the spec. Some servers might extend that spec with custom metadata fields (like Kodi does as well), but there is no standard for these extra fields - so they won't just work out of the box. We would have to add specific support for various UPNP servers which we atm are not that interrested in. Current focus is on improving Kodi <-> Kodi communication and once that's finished we probably could look to support other specifics.

but, but, but......

All I want is for Kodi to offer the option to stop sorting the file lists from UPnP sources.

Wink
(2014-11-10, 17:42)smitbret Wrote:
(2014-11-09, 13:00)da-anda Wrote: From what I know, the UPNP spec doesn't have rich metadata support and we support what's in the spec. Some servers might extend that spec with custom metadata fields (like Kodi does as well), but there is no standard for these extra fields - so they won't just work out of the box. We would have to add specific support for various UPNP servers which we atm are not that interrested in. Current focus is on improving Kodi <-> Kodi communication and once that's finished we probably could look to support other specifics.

but, but, but......

All I want is for Kodi to offer the option to stop sorting the file lists from UPnP sources.

Wink

Ditto. I have the same request. Just an option to turn off sorting as a uPNP client..
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP improvements1