Why can I only use XBMC using an Administrator account in Windows?
Does anyone know how I can resolve this? I had to install XBMC using an administrator account and I understand that because Windows is set to only allow the administrator to make installs. I have found though that I can only run the XBMC program under the administrator account. If I go in to another account and search for the xbmc (windows 8), nothing comes up.
Did you install for all users or just that account?
ALL USERS
I know when installing other programs I have seen (at least some times) where it asks if it is for all accounts or just the 1. I don't remember if I did or did not see that for this install. If I did install it for just this 1 account, is there a way to change that so it can be used by everybody?Huh
click above link
I am experiencing the same issue with Windows 10. I have not been able to find a solution.

I would appreciate any help that is out there. Thanks.
Anyone?
did you have a look at the link above in message #2
Yes. Windows 10 is different than Windows 2000. There is not enough commonality betwen the two versions of Windows to cipher a similar resolution to the issue.
AFAIK programs (KODI) installed to the: "Program Files/Program Files (x86)" folder/s are by default inherently, able to be run/accessible via "all user's/accounts" (Win7/10, etc), with exceptions to:

i) The default install path, of (KODI) .exe is in, or has path changed to that of a: "no inherit write permission" directory.
(i.e. C:\Windows)

ii) The user/limited-account has Group Policy limitation/s in effect.
(Group Policy rules have been provisioned to limit/exclude the install & execution of file/s or software)

iii) Windows 'UAC smart-screen/filter' blocks .exe file.
(Windows/admin detects/blocks suspicious/not trusted file source/signature)

E.g. 'UAC smart-filter blocking .exe file:

iv) Installed antivirus/anti-malware software, etc has function, that prevents/locks .exe file/s from running/installing.
(Due to 'false/positive', (KODI) .exe file signature incorrectly identifies as malicious or suspicious)

None of the above:

Where the exceptions above don't apply or aren't the issue (Eliminate exceptions via isolating/temporarily disabling them), re-install KODI again to the affecting user/limited-account. The install should trigger: 'UAC smart-screen' dialogue box to pop-up, prompting for the administrator password so KODI can install & run.

E.g. 'UAC smart-screen' dialogue pop-up:

Another route is to create a shortcut for: "KODI.exe" from the install directory, then copy/paste that into the user/limited-account: 'user-desktop folder' and/or also the "all users start-menu folder/s". (The shortcut is nominally created/placed on the desktop)[/code]

Shortcut:

Code:
Open folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\'KODI.exe' (.exe original path or user defined)

Right-click: 'KODI.exe'>Create shortcut>"Yes"

Copy/paste shortcut: The 'user-account Desktop' & 'Start-menu folder/s':

"user-account Desktop folder":

Code:
C:\Users\'user-account'\Desktop

"all user Start-menu folder" & "user Start-menu folder" respectively:

Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
                        &
C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

.exe run as admin: (Skip 'run as admin' if not required)

Before executing 'KODI.exe', you can set it so the shortcut runs as an administrator.

Code:
Right click: 'KODI.exe'
Properties>Compatibility tab>"change settings for all users" dialogue
Check box: "run this program as an administrator"
Click: Ok
If prompted, enter the admin password

GL! YMMV Wink
Thanks for the detailed reply, however none of the cases of i through iv apply.

Before bringing this up on the forum, I had set up a work around using shortcuts (as I could see the Kodi.exe in the Kodi folder (in "Program Files/Program Files (x86)" ) and got Kodi to run from both accounts, but it would not show up in the Apps list/Start Menu Programs, nor would it share the same profile between the two users. I tried installing while logged in to the standard user account as well as while I was logged into the Administrator account with the same results.

I got the same results by following the steps in your work around.

I recently tried something else to try to understand what Windows was doing. I uninstalled Kodi and converted the standard account to an Administrator account (giving me now 2 Administrator accounts) and then installed using the newly converted Administrator account. The installation worked as it had before, but now I could not see the program in the original Administrator account Apps list/Start Menu Programs. I could Kodiin the "old" Administrator account, but only by going to the Kodi.exe file (similar to before, but in opposite accounts). Also once again, opening the programme in either account, Kodi would not share the profile data.

I am not a Windows 10 expert, but by comparison, I have not installed Kodi any different than all of the other programs that I have installed (the most recetn being Next PVR). I have not encountered this problem with any other installation.

I am still stuck in making it work "normally"...
KODI profiles are stored locally in the appdata folder.

You will probably need to use sym links if you wish to share across accounts
Or, install Kodi outside of Program files (x86), run it in portable mode, and avoid all hassle.

scott s.
Thanks for your assistance.
Whats the big deal running in admin mode?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why can I only use XBMC using an Administrator account in Windows?0