Need help with components for 1st HTPC
I've been wanting a HTPC for a few years (came close to trying to build on a couple of years ago but didn't for some reason). The main stumbling block for me is that I've never built a computer before (and really don't know much about what are good components to choose) and I have no experience with anything but basic Windows usage (as I understand it HTPCs with XBMC (Kodi) work best with Ubuntu, or atleast how I want to set it up).

What I would like out of the HTPC
Boot to and run XBMC (Kodi) when powered on
Play TV shows & Movies files (mkv mainly)
Play music files (Mainly flac but some mp3)
Play Bluray discs
Watch cable (in HD including premium channels)
Be able to record TV
Stream video from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime
Stream Audio from Pandora, IHeart Radio, Spotify

I started to research some things and came up with a list of components for the HTPC, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have a good set up. If I could get feedback on better component selection I would appreciate it.

What I have come up with so far

Case - Fractal Design Node 605 (Tiger Direct - 159.99)
One of the best looking case I seen (though the Wesena e7 is very close).

Motherboard - Asus GRYPHON Z97 (Amazon - 154.99)
Needed to go with a mATX board since I wanted a optical drive installed.

CPU -Intel i5-4590S (Tiger Direct - 199.99)
Wasn't sure what I need for a cpu, though this one I noticed has a TDP of 65 watts and if I got it right a lower TDP is better for a HTPC.

RAM - Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A 1600C10 16GB (8x2) (Amazon - 148.50)
Just going by name recognition for the brand and I thought I read that you want DDR3.

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Amazon - 129.99)
I know you can use the graphics of the CPU but I wasn't sure if it would be enough to handle everything I wanted. Limited on the length of the card due to the case. Can't really tell you why I chose this card as I know nothing about graphics cards.

Bluray Drive - LG CT40N (Amazon - 62.56)
This is about the only Bluray drive I found that would fit in the case as it needed to be a slim line drive and I'm not to sure if a slot loading drive would be a good fit as I'm not positive on the clearance of the pull down door below the drive.

Cable Card Tuner - Centon InfiniTV 6 (Amazon - 249.00)
This is the only one that I really found as I want the cable card in the HTPC instead of getting a external solution.

SSD - Samsung MZ-7TE1T0BW (1TB) (Amazon - 428.52)
Seems to have the best reviews, Figured I go with 1 TB so I have plenty of room for O/S, XBMC, and any other programs needed. Not sure if I could go with a smaller sized drive and be alright on space.

HDD - Western Digital WD40EFRX (4TB) (2 drives) (Amazon - 169.00 per drive)
I thought that the red drives would be better as they would mainly be used for TV recordings as the SSD is hopefully big enough for all programs. From what I read the black drives use more power and are louder and the green drives are more for backups. I figured I would get 2 drives and then put them in a raid configuration so if one fails I don't lose all my recordings.

Power Supply - Corsair CS850M (850 Watts) (New Egg - 129.99)
Just going on name and not sure if 850 watts is to much or not enough

IR - No idea
I want an IR solution (would of loved it if the case came with an IR receiver). I want something that I can turn the HTPC on/off or at least wake/sleep. I read about FLIRC which I think would work if it is able to turn on or at least wake up the HTPC. I could then put it in a back USB port and put an IR flasher on it.

I think that is all I would need besides maybe one of those small hand held keyboard. Not sure if I would need more then the 2 fans that come with the case or if it would be best to upgrade the fans that come with the case or upgrade the fan that comes with the CPU.

I would be using Ubuntu as the operating system if that matters and I would want it to boot directly to XBMC (Kodi). I don't think that I would do any gaming with it.

The total comes to about 2000 which is a bit more then I wanted to spend but if that's what it takes to get everything I want I could begrudgingly live with it (though knocking a couple to a few hundred off would be nice).

I am totally clueless when it comes to knowing what parts I need or that works together so any help, advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated
A couple of things:

1. If you look at the reviews of the Node 605, you'll see that if you use a micro-ATX motherboard, you won't be able to fit an optical drive.

2. For your usages, this is way, way overkill. This would make a nice gaming PC.

What you have (don't need) vs. what would work instead:
Z97 motherboard vs. H97 motherboard (you're not overclocking or CrossFire/SLI video cards)
16GB vs 4GB (4GB is plenty for HTPC usage)
1TB SSD vs. 256GB SSD (if you're keeping media on your hard drives, you're never going to fill 256GB, let along 1TB)
GTX 750Ti vs. integrated graphics (the Intel integrated graphics will do fine and if for some reason not, HD6450 or GT730 would be plenty)
i5-4590S vs. i3-4160 (i5 is overkill, probably the i3 is even overkill)
850W power supply vs. 300W power supply (your system *might* top out at 100W once you get rid of the graphics card)
Buy a cheap Intel NUC and install OpenELEC, that should do it.
Or build something around a (Asrock, Asus, MSI or Gigabyte) J1900 that have an integrated quadcore-processor.
1. Get a chromecast.
2. Get an NUC
3. Get a External Bluray player
4. Get a HDHomerun or usb based tv tuner.

OR Do the above and use an old computer as a server and throw the tv tuner in there
(2014-11-10, 19:21)Dougie Fresh Wrote: A couple of things:

1. If you look at the reviews of the Node 605, you'll see that if you use a micro-ATX motherboard, you won't be able to fit an optical drive.

2. For your usages, this is way, way overkill. This would make a nice gaming PC.

What you have (don't need) vs. what would work instead:
Z97 motherboard vs. H97 motherboard (you're not overclocking or CrossFire/SLI video cards)
16GB vs 4GB (4GB is plenty for HTPC usage)
1TB SSD vs. 256GB SSD (if you're keeping media on your hard drives, you're never going to fill 256GB, let along 1TB)
GTX 750Ti vs. integrated graphics (the Intel integrated graphics will do fine and if for some reason not, HD6450 or GT730 would be plenty)
i5-4590S vs. i3-4160 (i5 is overkill, probably the i3 is even overkill)
850W power supply vs. 300W power supply (your system *might* top out at 100W once you get rid of the graphics card)

If I change it to using the onboard graphics instead of getting a graphics card would it be better to switch to an AMD, I thought that I read that their processors work better at graphics

Are you positive about using a micro-ATX (mATX) board and the optical drive. I've been through a couple of pages or reviews on New Egg and watched 3 or 4 videos on Youtube and all I noticed or heard was that you had to use a mATX instead of a ATX if you wanted to use a optical drive. Makes a difference because then I'd have to look at a new case as I think using a smaller board wouldn't give me at least 2 pci slots. I need one for the cable card and even if I don't use a graphics card I would like to have room to put one in if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions/help
Dougie Fresh is right about your first post being an over kill for running Kodi (xbmc). Here is what you need to realize movies and tv shows are at most 1080p's and do not require a big time computer to run them on. If it was me I would be looking at an AMD APU not a cpu and getting a decent motherboard not state of the art just good name brand. Most people do not store their media on the HTPC but on either external HD's, NAS Drives, or Servers.

For instance my setup is as follows which can run anything I throw at it for media:

MIni- ITX Case and motherboard (asrock E350M1/USB3)
4 GB Ram
64GB SSD
250Watt Power Supply
That is all that is in my HTPC.

Now what I do not recommend is an external HD because with all the writing/reading you will do to these drives they tend to brick on you over time and you lose all of your stored data on them. What I use is just a simple WD EX2 8TB NAS system. This enclosure uses WD Red Drives which are designed to be working 24/7. They cost a pretty penny but worth every penny ($500 for the 8tb). But when you are thinking of storage you need to think of what you are going to be using your network for. If you need to run server software like ftp servers, media servers, voice servers, game servers, and ect. you might want to setup a nice server to run those programs and also keep your storage in. If you just need storage for movie, tv, and music then save money and get a good nas solution.

As far as chromecast and mini-tv/computer cards take it from me they work and are a great temporary solution however they do not operate as good as a HTPC and never will at this point. You will get lag in them and they tend to have some over heating problems.

When thinking or going to HTPC take it in steps get a htpc and small storage HD see how you like it. Then make the steps to NAS and Server storage solutions. Then to getting an audio receiver to play your surround sound with.
I change some things, here is the revised list of what I came up with.

Case - Fractal Design Node 605 (Tiger Direct - 159.99)
Stays the same (but a little worried about the above saying that you can't use a ODD with a mATX board, if anyone has clarification on that I would appreciate it).

Motherboard - Msi A88XM GAMING (Amazon - 104.99)
Only mATX board I found that fits the APU and has S/PDIF.

APU - AMD A10-Series APU A10-7850K with Radeon R7 Series (Amazon - 159.99)
Still might be overkill but I think it suppose to have the best graphics, which I think would be a good thing since I'm not using a graphics card.

Memory - Corsair Vengeance — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (Amazon - 109.99)
I know was advised that 4GB should be enough, but I figured that for a little bit more can make sure that I do have enough.

Graphics Card - None
Going with the on board graphics of the APU

Bluray Drive - Panasonic UJ-265 (Amazon - 67.99)
Changed to slot loading drive. Seems to me every slimline (laptop) drive that had a tray, the try never automaticly came completely out which could be annoying on a HTPC.

Cable Card Tuner - Centon InfiniTV 6 (Amazon - 249.00)
No change

SSD - Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD (Amazon - 109.99)
Seems to be one of the highest rated drives at 256GBs

HDD - Western Digital WD40EFRX (4TB) (2 drives) (Amazon - 169.00 per drive)
No change

Power Supply - RM Series RM450 — 450 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU (Amazon - 104.90)
Changed to RM series as that is listed as being a low noise PSU

CPU Fan - Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet CPU Cooler (Amazon - 59.99)
Added an upgraded APU cooler as the few reviews of the APU said that it does run hot and the stock cooler doesn't work that good. Saw a review that said that the H60 would fit the case but had problems being screwed in. Hoping the H55 is slightly smaller (couldn't find the dimensions on the Corsair website). Didn't see a compatablity list on the Corsair website for the cooler if anybody has any input on if this would fit the APU/Motherboard please let me know.

Still would like to know if the FLIRC IR unit would work at turning on and off the HTPC.

Price comes in at around 1430 which is slightly less then I was hoping for (1500) but still if there is anything that is way to much overkill, like possible the memory, wouldn't mind knocking a few dollars off.

If you see anything that could be better, or have any ideas about the FLIRC IR solution, about using a mATX and ODD, or the cooler fitting the APU/Motherboard please let me know.

Thanks
$1430.00 for a HTPC is way overkill. A chromebox is $150. Add a second hand server off ebay or craigslist with 8TB of drives and a tuner and you still aren't anywhere near $1430. Put a bluray drive into your server and rip your blurays.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-10, 20:49)tidle73 Wrote: Are you positive about using a micro-ATX (mATX) board and the optical drive. I've been through a couple of pages or reviews on New Egg and watched 3 or 4 videos on Youtube and all I noticed or heard was that you had to use a mATX instead of a ATX if you wanted to use a optical drive.

Right, my bad. It was ATX vs. micro-ATX not micro-ATX vs. mini-ITX. micro-ATX should fit.

It's still overkill, especially the power supply which is way overpriced. A nice Seasonic 300W PSU would be fine and $40.

You also don't need watercooling to build a quiet HTPC, especially if you have no experience with it and don't even know if it'll fit. I have a Scythe Big Shuriken in my livingroom HTPC cooling an A8-3820 and you can't hear a thing unless you open the case and put your ear next to it.

At the end of the day though, it's your coin and if you want to overbuild to be confident in your HTPCs abilities, then go for it.
I decided to go about this a different way

I've been watching some Youtube videos (though I couldn't find to many, one was using a favorited file and the rest where with a Bluray plug-in) and I'm not sure if I would like the way you would play Bluray discs thru it. I also didn't like what I've seen so far on the use of Netflix (though admittedly I've only watched a video or 2)..

I also didn't realize that you could play old video games (like old Atari and Nintendo) through XBMC. that might be something I would eventually want to do (maybe even Civilization 4). I don't know if that would make a difference in what I need out of a system.

Also reading up on the InfiniTV 6 PCIe card it seems that I would need to run Windows to use it (at least I would, as from what I read it will work with Ubuntu but you would need to compile drivers. I don't really know exactly what that in tells or even how to try to do it) so I will be installing Windows 7. Also didn't realize or think of that I could record to my NAS, so I decided to do away with the HDD drives.

I'm also not real sure about my abilities to not only build a computer, but also to get it up and running. So I'm going to try to knock off a bit on the price. If it does work (and we don't mind the way Blurays & Netflix work) then I can build a better system (with a better looking case) and move this one to the basement or some other place. If it doesn't work or I'm not able to do it at least I'm out less money.

This is the revised list

Case - In Win BP671 mini ITX case (New Egg - 49.99)
Since I'm not going to be getting rid of any equipment (except for a WD Live TV) I'm real limited on space.

Motherboard - ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD A78 (Bolton D3) (New Egg - 84.99)
I couldn't find to many mITX board to go with the APU

APU - AMD A8-5600K Trinity Quad-Core 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) (New Egg - 89.99)
Going with a cheaper APU, though it sounds like this still will be more then enough (and still maybe overkill)

PSU - SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W TFX12V (New Egg - 39.99)
The case does come with a PSU but a majority of the reviews said that it is very loud. I believe this will fit as I think I choose this one because a review mentioned he replaced the stock PSU with this.

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL (New Egg - 39.99)
Lowed the RAM to 4gb as everyone suggested but using 1 stick so I can buy a second if I ever need it (you don't hardly save anything by buying 2 dimms if I remember corectly). Not sure if changing to window will effect what I need here or not.

Bluray Drive - ASUS 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS (Amazon - 56.13)
With this case I'm able to get a full size drive.

SSD - Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB (Amazon - 109.99)
No change

Cable Card - Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe (Amazon - 249.99)
No Change

Fan - SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan (New Egg - 8.99)
The reviews also mention the fan that comes with the case is very loud. One reviewer said he put this one in and it worked so I went with it

APU Fan - Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 (Amazon - 31.99)
This is the one that Dougie Fresh suggested (or at least the updated version of it, I think). I think I would need a APU cooler with such a small case, but not sure

IR - Flirc (Amazon - 24.95)
I haven't read up on it to much but it sounds like this is an easy solution to use IR and be able to power on/off (or at least sleep/wake) the htpc.

All together it comes to about 800 which is getting near half of what I had above. If you take away the tuner card its within 100 of what a NUC would be with same RAM and SSD with a i3 (i'm kind of guessing that its comparable to the A8-5600K) plus I get a Bluray drive.

I also found a mATX solution that is 70 cheaper (cheaper case & motherboard, and no need for a different PSU). Only problem is that the case doesn't look good at all.

I'm assuming that most things are ok, except maybe the APU which still maybe overkill. I just would rather spend around 20 extra on that to make sure I'm good. Also not sure if I could go to a 128gb ssd (40 less) and not have to upgrade the disc for a few years.If there are any other solution that saves more then I would be open to it.

Any more advice or suggestions please let me know.
That AMD APU will bake in that case, especially with all that other stuff in there.
(2014-11-13, 04:44)Dougie Fresh Wrote: That AMD APU will bake in that case, especially with all that other stuff in there.

Would changing it to the AMD A8-5500 Make a difference as far as the heat? Is that still overkill for the htpc? I'm just worried because the couple of movies that I ripped play alright on my desktop but on my laptop & my WD Live TV they play real choppy. I don't know if that's a cause of the processor, the graphics, or the memory.

I found out I need to find another case so if any one has a recommendation for a nice looking mITX or mATX case that would fit in a 7" wide x 20" tall x 24" deep space let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with components for 1st HTPC0