Raspberry Pi Model A+ for $20
Тoday was announced the release of the Raspberry Pi Model A+ at a new low price of $20.

Like the Model A, the Model A+ uses the BCM2835 application processor and has 256MB RAM, but it is significantly smaller (65mm in length, versus 86mm for the Model A), consumes less power, and inherits the many improvements that we made to the Model B+, including:

More GPIO. The GPIO header has grown to 40 pins. The Model A+ is compatible with the HAT standard for add-on boards.
Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.
Better audio. The audio circuit incorporates a dedicated low-noise power supply.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-...s-on-sale/
Nice, but I would thought they would have dropped the price a bit lower by now though as most parts are getting cheaper.

With other more powerful solutions around it is getting harder and harder to justify the price of a Raspberry Pi för dedicated XBMC/Kodi use today.

The hardware have not gotten any better yet the recommended retail price of the original Raspberry Pi B/B+ have not dropped any since its initial launch.

Consider adding the cost of a chassi/case, USB-WiFi-dongle, Micro-SD card, USB-memory, Micro-USB cable, powered-USB-hub and a power-adapter.

Only 256MB and no wired Ethernet but still OK as long as use a powered-USB-hub and a USB-WiFi-dongle.

You really need powered-USB-hub to run OpenELEC/Raspbmc of a USB-memory-stick and also have a USB-WiFi-dongle.

I guess if you are only running local files of a USB-memody/harddrive then you might not need a USB-WiFi-dongle.

Regardless, wondering how well the 256MB limitation will be good enough when XBMC GUI is running in native 1080p?
I would not use that at all for xbmc.

It's a nice piece of hardware, but for a different usecase.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-11-10, 17:33)Hedda Wrote: Nice, but I would thought they would have dropped the price a bit lower by now though as most parts are getting cheaper.

Actually, $20 USD is really good considering that's the price for hardware being made in the UK at a Sony factory. I hear you can't even take the factory tour for that price :D

EDIT: Also, remember, the model A started out at $25. Both normal A/B models had crappier power circuits, a non-locking "friction" SD card slot, and other components that have since been upgraded in the "+" versions. They originally projected model A being 128 MB of RAM, and model B being 256 MB. Model B then got bumped up to the SoC's limit of 512 MB. So we actually have been getting upgrades for the same price.
$20 is a ridiculous price point for something this well supported. As fritsch says, possibly not a great fit for xbmc (at least for HTPC usage cases), but it is a great solution for many other applications. Yes, there are lots of "on paper" more powerful boards available for similar price points, but they are seldom anywhere near as well supported by a large community.

The whole Pi ecosystem is really encouraging - in a similar way to the Arduino stuff. Decent support and tools that enable people to do useful stuff with your product are the key.

But I wouldn't buy a Model A+ as my main XBMC box... Might be very good as a digital signage player though...
Yep I am working on using pi's for my car PC, for controlling shit and for squeezebox clones. When we get our house back from the insurance company I contemplate having up to 10 of them around the house. $20 is a significant price point as most of those uses only require 256M ram.

The biggest disappointment is the analogue audio - there are three (at least) DAC solutions, as well as a HiFi BMW compatible carpc addon board. But they all cost more than the Pi.

The B/B+ is a fun spare xbmc machine, but I wouldn't fit my house out with RPi video PCs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Model A+ for $200