building first htpc?
hi
i'm planning to make my first htpc
i have a case with psu laying around that would fit micro atx mobo and i also have ram
i wanted to know what mobo + cpu can i get under $150 for best performance in media playback; i will run xbmc only (openelec)

i would use my desktop mobo but its atx not micro
What type of RAM? Old DDR2? DDR3? What speed? Without knowing that, it's hard to suggest a motherboard/CPU. Not everything is compatible.
(2014-11-11, 19:40)Dougie Fresh Wrote: What type of RAM? Old DDR2? DDR3? What speed? Without knowing that, it's hard to suggest a motherboard/CPU. Not everything is compatible.

i have 4gb ddr3 1600 (pc3 12800)
Cheap:
i3-4130
Intel Pentium G3258

Cheaper:
ASRock FM2A78M PRO4+
AMD A6-6420K

Cheapest:
ASRock AM1B-MDH AM1
AMD Athlon 5350

Easiest:
ASRock Q2900-ITX
Gents,

I've built dozens of PCs over the last decade or so, but recently decided to build something as a HTPC. I built a Mini ITX PC with Win 7 Pro for a friends 42 foot sports fishing boat a little over 3 years ago as a gift for taking me fishing. I left it to him to mount and load it with Navigation, Engine, and Weather software. Well he never got around to it, and when I finally went over to help him late in the summer it wouldn't boot. The Asus AT3IONT-I was dead. I took it back to where I bought it but there was nothing they could do as it was a couple weeks out of warranty. Same thing after numerous emails to Asus. It's too bad because I've been an Asus fan for ages...

The current generation of Nobeltec's Navigation software (which seems to be preferred by my friend) needs a lot more horsepower for their 3D rendering, and as they've dropped support for the old version in September, he'll have to move on. It has an Intel i5 or better recommended. So this Rig will become a new HTPC box around here. Looks like I'll be building another rig for him some day soon.

So from the remnants I built a HTPC so I could try XBMC (Kodi).

The Old parts are:

Mini-Box M350 Case
picoPSU-160-XT,
OCZ SSD,
Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10666 4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 240 PIN RAM

And the replacement Motherboard was a steal at Newegg for $70 (it was $100 with a $30 rebate)
ASRock QC5000-ITX/WiFi AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo

I have ordered a 10A 120W AC to DC Switching Power Supply 110-240vAC to 12vDC which was labelled PicoPSU Compatible from Amazon for $32 delivered. (All US Funds.)

I have external USB Hard Drives for Data if needed but I was thinking of just streaming to it via the WiFi. I also have external USB Optical Drive.

I think the ASRock QC5000-ITX/WiFi would fit fireboy's needs. Actually there is a non wifi version available as well for about $70. It's probably going on sale soon too (Maybe Black Friday??)

What do you think?

Regards,

Jim Cool
The A4-5000 is a good choice too for HTPC, though your power supply is WAY overkill for that system. The AMD 5350 system I just built doesn't even pull 30W at maximum load. I would also check if the 4-pin mini-DIN harness for plugging in the AC adapter is compatible with the M350. I have doubts too about the A4-5000 being up to snuff for something that recommends an i5, which tells me the rendering is CPU intensive. The A4-5000 is pretty weak. You might be better off with a J2900 or even i5 NUC.
Smile 
(2014-11-12, 16:42)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The A4-5000 is a good choice too for HTPC, though your power supply is WAY overkill for that system. The AMD 5350 system I just built doesn't even pull 30W at maximum load. I would also check if the 4-pin mini-DIN harness for plugging in the AC adapter is compatible with the M350. I have doubts too about the A4-5000 being up to snuff for something that recommends an i5, which tells me the rendering is CPU intensive. The A4-5000 is pretty weak. You might be better off with a J2900 or even i5 NUC.

I agree the 3D rendering would be too much for the ASRock QC500. That's why this Rig is headed to be a HTPC at my house, instead of a Nav Box on my Buddy's Boat. As far as the PSU being overkill, I already had the picoPSU-160-XT, and it too was 3+ years old but unused. I read reports where the QC5000 only pulls 25 Watts during full out Prime Testing, so the extra wattage capability will allow me to plug in lots of USB devices simultaneously with any worry. The a 10A 120W AC to DC Switching Power Supply connector is not a 4-pin mini-DIN harness, but rather the older 2.5/5mm ID/OD Male Barrel Plug. Just like the picoPSU-160-XT.

I just wish Amazon would get the PSU here as I want to play with my new toy. Can you advise when the first non-beta Kodi software will be coming out?

Thanks for the assist.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
building first htpc?0