Kodi logo user feedback, part 2
(specifically graphic design - very often amateur committees do do great things, e.g. xbmc/kodi itself!)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
And they should be! Especially the earlier images (the later for me move away from having the elements that are required for a versatile logo.) Hopefully your making this public will cause the team to reconsider Smile
(2014-11-13, 04:51)bossanova808 Wrote: The combination K/power/directional/KODI letters element is pretty cool and I think a much better symbol than anything in the community designs. Personally I think hamstringing a pro design company with a bunch of 99designs style generic logos was not the best idea. Design by amateur committee is not usually successful. Let the pros do their work...

If there was even a single design element that came from doghouse media that was their own idea, I could see your point.

Their take on the ideas given to them by the community has been "replace any font with a generic minimalizstic font. Make logo blue. choose symbols that were rank 44 by the community."

EDIT: even the square with arrows, which samfisher also did a take on, didn't come from DHM. It came from our own da-anda, who clearly has more talent than DHM.
ah well there you go => #44 was cool. Guess DHM is in the dog house Wink
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
https://www.google.com/search?q=circle+k...6&imgdii=_
This is a more comprehensive image of the concept I've been working on following the idea of simple/flat/modern/noPS from logo #1.

Probably they won't use this, but I just wanted to show Smile
The rest of the team is very quick to jump down my throat that this is making the team look bad :P

Sam, thank you for everything that you've done. I think you've done far better than anything that has come out of DHM. I've probably done you a disservice by being so vocal about this, because now I fear the team might not consider even your original ideas that are included in the internal poll. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I've been marked as the villain in all of this, so who knows.
Well Ned ... i am speechless tbh.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-11-13, 10:56)Memphiz Wrote: Well Ned ... i am speechless tbh.

Don't be. I might disagree with others about what is going on, but you have every right to disagree with me in public. I'd rather hear what you have to say than you just being speechless.
Ned - we clearly stated everywhere that the logo submissions and poll results by the community will only give the direction and NOT the final logo - so I really don't get your point of being a jerk to the team here. And whatever we do, half the community WILL be pissed in the end so live with that. IMO doghouse did what they where supposed and asked to do - they should not come up with their very own and entirely ignore community votes and submissions but rather bring some of the submissions into a working shape (which to you seemed to only be changed colour and font - but I don't think you studied graphics design, did you?). I agree though that some more initial mix and match could have happened, which it still could if we wouldn't run out of time. Let's call it bad communication and be good with it.

Also, the logos in the vote cards you shared are blue because I (!!!) decided to present them in the very same way so that the voting decision will be based on the actual icon/shape and visual appealing and not by some preferred colour. As mentioned in the poll description the poll is only about the direction the final logo should go and that colour and font can be changed to our likings after that. We could even do a fast(!) community poll on the final variant but it really would have to be fast (max 3 days or so).

edit: and what you also not seem to get is, that the dhm logos are the "base version" of the logos and not super Photoshop pimped versions which every one of them could become for splash screen or whatever.
(2014-11-13, 04:44)Unfledged Wrote: I think it's plain I've been I've been in disagreement for a while with how this has been run. Unsurprisingly, the ideas that were voted highly that were both visually appealing and could actually make a good logo are now the ones being developed into a logo. Of course, the pure visual appealment shouldn't have been a factor in the votes - leading now to ideas that would have made a great logo being ignored in the consideration of the final design Confused
so you're saying the community vote on the logo submissions was a bad idea and subject to fail because most only voted on eye candy and animations and not on what could become an awesome logo?
@ned Scott: don't worry and don't take that personally, it's just a logo Smile

@da-anda: didn't want to say this because I prefer to talk with my own works, but I did study and graduated on graphic and visual communication and have 15+ years of experience as graphic designer, so feel free to ask me opinions about logos if needed Smile
Yes too much photoshop on early suggestion, I agree on that, but not much comments or very few on flat designs. And feedback was crucial to continue improving.
Well I just hope you choose a good logo Smile
@samfisher - I never doubted your expertise - one can clearly see from your designs that you know what you're doing (I'm also having a graphical background - didn't study it though).
As far as I can see, all the choices presented for the choice of direction have a community influence.

(2014-11-13, 11:08)da-anda Wrote: Let's call it bad communication and be good with it.

We've always sucked at communication.

The big mistake here was probably not agreeing on some clear design criteria at the very start to give everyone some direction, plus not following up on your idea of having a design submission template to allow for better comparison, but as always lack of free time by the people involved probably played it's part.
@jjd-uk agreed. This could have been done more professional from ground up (strict submission rules, better predefined criteria, submission template) - but well

@NedScott - let's call it a bad day, agreed? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi logo user feedback, part 23