Best Media Organizer
(2014-11-23, 04:59)nickr Wrote: I have found it adequate too. However I do know one private tracker which prides itself on quality and won't allow handbrake rips. When I asked
Quote:Because it doesn't produce the level of quality that we find acceptable here. It's a constantly out-of-date program because it doesn't allow you to update the x264 encoder or any other components of the program.

But then again they are a fussy bunch :-)

I can kind of see their point, but at the same time I also think that's silly. It's not like an encode with x264 from last year suddenly becomes a bad video file simply because the encoder got updated this year. It kind of sounds like they just don't like the idea that it uses internal libraries instead of the linux way of using system-wide libraries for everything, so they have a bias against it.
All of their recommended tools are actually windows and they have very good rips, but it takes an age for new stuff to get there (as they wait for the perfect rip, or a member to do one).

Anyway, we are way OT now!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I encode a lot for... a couple of places. That quote looks like something I wrote in a support channel a while ago.

Handbrake, with default settings, is produces crap results. It's fine, I suppose, if you want a quick and easy all-in-one tool. I create my own avs files based on what's required and use megui.

I could write pages about encoding, actually I have written pages elsewhere but I need to update those.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-11-23, 17:36)Piers Wrote: I could write pages about encoding, actually I have written pages elsewhere but I need to update those.

I would like to learn more about the different encoding settings. Any chance you can point me in the direction to some of the articles you've written? Even if they need to be updated, I am sure I could still learn a thing or two.

Thanks.
(2014-11-23, 17:36)Piers Wrote: I encode a lot for... a couple of places. That quote looks like something I wrote in a support channel a while ago.

Handbrake, with default settings, is produces crap results. It's fine, I suppose, if you want a quick and easy all-in-one tool. I create my own avs files based on what's required and use megui.

I could write pages about encoding, actually I have written pages elsewhere but I need to update those.

In that sense I can understand the argument. The default settings in Handbrake are meant to support everything under the sun, including toasters. Those settings don't always take advantage of all the available ways to save file size and preserve quality. I'm guessing the application itself, when using the right settings, produces acceptable results, but sites tell users a blanket "no" because most of them are using defaults.

If you find time to write up encoding guides on the forums or the wiki, that would be awesome. I'd be very interested in learning more about this myself.
Yup me too. Always wondered about what the best settings to encode would be, in case of need.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Would love to see a guide as well. I have spent some time changing a few of the settings in the advance tab but I don't really know enough and rips take to long to experiment well with. (Wonder if there is a way to map and reduce to multiple machines...hmm). I mostly use handbrake because its what you see for most beginner guides and that just what I have ended up using so seeing a guide that is more advance (either in HB or using something else) would be nice. I'm not afraid of the command line, I just don't know what everything does.

Also never new sickbeard could do non downloaded sources, I wonder what it is using...
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
dvd::rip (a linux program) has the ability to farm out encoding to other computers, in chunks, and then reassembles them.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The website seams to be dead, though for a home setup having more then just linux would be a requirement. Still cool that someone actually made a program for it, I wonder how the divided up the file or if it was a file by file divide. This has me thinking...hmm...
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
What do you mean file by file?
One file at a time, example, ep1 goes to one machine, ep2 to another, instead of splitting up by frames or something (though that would need a lot of data copying between the machines)
No you are generally only creating one file, it splits up by segments, I can't recall how that works, but it does!

Yes there is a lot of copying over network, but hey we are only talking about one DVD worth (maximum about 8G out and less back in) over a LAN. This is not a procedure for wifi or over the internet.

However I see that there has been no news on the dvdrip site since 2010. http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

There are still packages in ubuntu though.
(2014-11-13, 17:20)PatK Wrote: I'm often plagued by duplicates and haven't found a good tools for that yet, what I think is a duplicate often is re-make or alternate ending version.

Milhouse's "Texture Cache Maintenance utility" http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158373 is pretty good for giving you an easy-to-read list of duplicate (by imdb id) movies in your library. It includes the file path & name in the list so you can see if it's a "real" dupe or just an alternate version.
just wanna say filebot to.
its as simple or advanced as you make it
(2014-11-26, 00:28)nickr Wrote: No you are generally only creating one file, it splits up by segments, I can't recall how that works, but it does!

Yes there is a lot of copying over network, but hey we are only talking about one DVD worth (maximum about 8G out and less back in) over a LAN. This is not a procedure for wifi or over the internet.

Oh thats interesting, I wonder how they did it, might have to poke around the source. True I could see this being hard on wifi networks, especially if you try to move it up to a BD level. Id imagine they have to use a modified h.264 library so that they could move around the data from the forward and backwards frames for other other parts. I guess they could have encoded it as chunks and just roll them together...

As to filebot ya its a great program, I'm still trying to learn the finer details about it.

EDIT: Never mind I see how they are performing the encoding on many machines, that a lost simpler then I thought it would be.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Media Organizer0