OS X Apple Remote not working with KODI with Open at Login
Apple remote does not work with KODI when set to open at login.

Up/down buttons are passed through to sys volume up/down but otherwise nothing.

If I manually quit KODI then launch it again, the remote works.

Debug log here - nightly kodi-20141113-1234cdd-master-x86_64.dmg

Steps in log:

Reboot mac
XBMC launces at login (debug already on)
Try remote - nothing except signs of attempted up/down system volume (falls through to o/s - in my case I use hdmi so give the the no vol change icon ..)
Use keyboard to upload log file

Apple remote button clicks occur between line 474 to 475 (no debug info)

I have also tried Memphiz's test build to fix failure to launch on menu press - http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/osx/...x86_64.dmg which gave the same behaviour.
Sounds like a time issue. Can you somehow postpone the start of XBMC a bit and see if this helps? Also the debug log doesn't help here unfortunately. You would need to have a look into the system log and grep for "XBMCHelper" to see why it was not able to start (XBMCHelper is the service which allows us to use the remote control).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Have the same problem for a while now (since Gotham I think). I'm using DelayedLauncher (5 seconds) as 'solution'.
But it works :-)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
Likewise delay work. I will review logs to see if i can find anything and post an update
Only log entries referring to XBMCHelper I can see are:

14/11/2014 8:16:55.641 pm XBMCHelper[433]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.0 instead of 10.10.0. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 0 CarbonCore 0x908917e7 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 1 libdispatch.dylib 0x9b440130 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 2 libdispatch.dylib 0x9b4400b5 dispatch_once_f + 251
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 3 libdispatch.dylib 0x9b4410d8 dispatch_once + 31
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 4 CarbonCore 0x90823fb8 _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 5 CarbonCore 0x90823b69 Gestalt + 150
14/11/2014 8:16:55.643 pm XBMCHelper[433]: 6 XBMCHelper 0x0000b68a +[HIDRemote isCandelairInstallationRequiredForRemoteMode:] + 32
Is this from when its not working after login or when its working?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I have the same problem. It seems that the kodi helper didn't work.

additional problem:

1. I cannot start the KODI by the "MENU" of apple remote, former version was OK.

2. the modified keymaps of apple remote didn't take effect. All key of apple remote behaved default.
You need to toggle the "start kodi with remote" setting once in system->system->input then restart the mac ... damn guys - i didn't even change anything in that helper. It behaves same like before - it was just rebranded internally. Imo if it doesn't work now - it did never before. (granted you need to toggle the option once after changing to a current nightly build).
Just verified again with latest nightly - i am able to start kodi by pressing the "menu" button on the apple remote.
(2014-11-14, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: Is this from when its not working after login or when its working?

Not working.

I tried 3 times - all looked the same - happy to try again.

(Memphiz, Thanks heaps for giving this some thought)

Albertpan - make sure xbmc is not set to start automtically at login. Start xbmc. Change remote to another type of remite and back to apple remote. This worked fine for me and menu key does launch xbmc.

If this does not work you could kill xbmc helper, restart, reinstall xbmc - latest nightly. Re-test.
(2014-11-14, 18:50)Memphiz Wrote: Just verified again with latest nightly - i am able to start kodi by pressing the "menu" button on the apple remote.

Is this with xbmc launching at boot (auto login and open xbmc at login) ?

Vey strange

(Mine is a mac mini used as htpc - TV's only input is xbmc..)
obviously not... autologin yes - then pressing the menu button to launch kodi. (my reply was to albertpan). You don't need to change the remotr type - but flip the checkbox for "allow start of kodi via remote" or what its called - off and on again. This ensure that the service is updated (for pointing to the kodi version of xbmchelper). I might try to also give autostart a try but seriously whats the problem of adding a delay if that works around the issue? We are running out of time formthe release and i wanna finish the translation review before (4000 strings to check - 700 to go )
(2014-11-14, 17:57)Memphiz Wrote: You need to toggle the "start kodi with remote" setting once in system->system->input then restart the mac ... damn guys - i didn't even change anything in that helper. It behaves same like before - it was just rebranded internally. Imo if it doesn't work now - it did never before. (granted you need to toggle the option once after changing to a current nightly build).

I have tried this step many times.... It didn't work. (the former edtion of kodi was normal, after updated, I tried troggle this option on/off, restart kodi , restart mac, all possible methods...and the joystick.AppleRemote.xml was the same as former, but the modified key didn't work.)

I am not a newbie. Sorry, my English is poor, so I didn't express very clarity.
(2014-11-14, 22:12)Gigantur Wrote:
(2014-11-14, 14:02)Memphiz Wrote: Is this from when its not working after login or when its working?

Not working.

I tried 3 times - all looked the same - happy to try again.

(Memphiz, Thanks heaps for giving this some thought)

Albertpan - make sure xbmc is not set to start automtically at login. Start xbmc. Change remote to another type of remite and back to apple remote. This worked fine for me and menu key does launch xbmc.

If this does not work you could kill xbmc helper, restart, reinstall xbmc - latest nightly. Re-test.

failed.... so wired

EDIT:

I tried 3 times (2014-11-14 nightly build), it worked. but when open KIDI by "MENU" key, sometimes apple remote lose the control of system. may be the system is too lag? because it showed that web server failed to load and the weather information displayed very late.
(2014-11-15, 00:10)Memphiz Wrote: I might try to also give autostart a try but seriously whats the problem of adding a delay if that works around the issue? We are running out of time formthe release and i wanna finish the translation review before (4000 strings to check - 700 to go )

Thanks Memphis. Perhaps after the release you can point me in the right direction or give me a version of XBMChelper with debug - just a minor niggle - shows how good KODI for Mac is - Yosemite with these nightlies has been amazing. If I find anything of note I will post it but no reply expected (I understand you are busy).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Remote not working with KODI with Open at Login0