Is this a perfect box to future-proof me
Very new at this, but excited to run an XBMC box with Open ELC.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...4FT28U2655

Searching online I found this box: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...4FT28U2655

Zotac ZBOXNANO-ID68-P Intel Core i5 4200U,4GB RAM,500G HDD,Intel HD4400 graphics integrated by CPU,Mini PC

Is this a perfect box that will future-proof me? Anyone see any downside to it, besides the price?

Thanks so much.
There is no way to say if this is future proof, since you don't know what the next technology is that'll actually come along. If it's not supported by that box, there's no replacing anything.

It won't really do anything better than a cheaper NUC, except maybe deinterlacing.
Since we have things like HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 coming down the pipeline it means all new products in the future to take advantage of 4K60 Which nothing as of this time has either HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0
Fair enough, thank you. Would it at least be a top of the line box today which would at least theoretically allow me to stream 1080p smoothly, good sound, graphics, ability to put in tuner, remote? Any downsides to it?
It's overkill for today and if you need to upgrade later it is an expensive write off.

I run openelec on an Atom/Ion Zbox and it is more than enough. Now there are $100 boxes that run XBMC. If you need to upgrade later, you are only out $100, not $569.
I am personally looking at getting a ZBox BI320 personally with a celeron 2957u and a 2gb ram stick and a 32gb ssd which should come to about $179 for everything for me here int he US. It has TosLink out which I need with a soundbar. This is for a bedroom and like I said I need hte toslink out which a chromebox would not give me for pretty much the same money. Will handle everything I toss at it. I don't have any 1080i stuff as I tend to stay away from interlaced items like that.
A box equivalent in other respects but an i3, that would make more sense?
(2014-11-13, 18:28)Topken Wrote: I am personally looking at getting a ZBox BI320 personally with a celeron 2957u and a 2gb ram stick and a 32gb ssd which should come to about $179 for everything for me here int he US. It has TosLink out which I need with a soundbar. This is for a bedroom and like I said I need hte toslink out which a chromebox would not give me for pretty much the same money. Will handle everything I toss at it. I don't have any 1080i stuff as I tend to stay away from interlaced items like that.

Yes, but a ChromeBox + USB SPDIF output would be less than $179 currently.
After relooking Amazon has the ASUS Chromebox going for $160 currently. Like I said I would also get a 32gb ssd which the chromebox lacks since it only has a 16gb ssd. So I would be looking at more then $180 for the SSD and USB Spdif out ontop of the $160 for the chromebox. I will be using a full linux distro and not openelec personally since I find having full linux useful for those sites like Hulu free that don't work in XBMC only.
Chromebox was on sale at Amazon earlier this week for $129 shipped. I'd check daily as we get closer to Black Friday. I bet we'll see them on sale again.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I don't know how much this stacks up against the hardware which was already mentioned, but I have a cubox-I4pro which does all of this and also is low on power so I leave it on 24/7.
I am running a MiWorld (disclosure, I'm a dev for the company that makes it), and so far its run everything I've thrown at it (and then some), though it's not cheap. For reference, I also am running a PIVOS xios and a full sized i7 custom monster. When you ask about future proofing, are you needing to the unit to have access to wireless streaming? Have local storage with an option to upgrade etc. Do you have any plans to also use it to run the Kodi shared DB for other boxes or any live TV services?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this a perfect box to future-proof me0