Broadcom CrystalHD card BCM70015 - 2014
hey

I have an old ATV 1 (Silver) and it runs CrystalUbuntu - HDD Install.

I need to run 1080p and my questions is:

is Broadcom CrystalHD card BCM70015 still the best or is there a new one now?

And when I install the CrystalHD card do I have to reinstall CrystalUbuntu?
Answered in the OSMC Forums....

Support for the Crystal HD card isn't so good these days, but if you have an ATV1 sitting around, you can grab the BCM70015 off of ebay for under $30 and give that ATV1 new life. It's a pretty good deal for $30. OSMC (wiki) is your best bet for future support of this card, since Kodi v14 won't have native support for it anymore. Worse case scenario, you end up running XBMC v13 on it, and that's not so bad. It's not like v13 stops working for the parts that do work :)
As an example...

Crystalbuntu2.0 with Gotham 13.2 on a CHD equipped ATV1 is able to play a 1080p 60Mbps H264 Jellyfish test video streamed over NFS with no skipped or dropped frames.
Still a powerful card the CHD and the ATV1 has good de interlacing as well.

The other bonus is a ATV1 running Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS - is able to decode using software only 1080i MPEG2 Live TV streams when running XBMC Gotham whilst also running a TvHeadend backend server.
Makes it a pretty reasonable PVR.

Quote:Still a powerful card the CHD and the ATV1 has good de interlacing as well.

It's simple bobbing in the chd wrapper, but if that makes you happy.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Bob's good - I cannot detect any discernible jaggies or banding during fast sports action via the naked eye, thats all most people want really.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Broadcom CrystalHD card BCM70015 - 20140