XBMC Pre 2.1
Hello,

I'm very very new to XBMC, I recently bought an original XBOX with XBMC Pre-2.1 installed. It tells me the software if over 7 years old. (I know, ancient right!)

Now, I just cant get it to do anything, I dont quite know what I'm doing.

People are telling me that XBMC can be used like Android TV and as an emulator for all old sega/nintendo consoles. Is this true?

Also, how do I update it to the latest version of what I need.

I may not be asking the right questions but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
sorry, but the support for the XBOX has been dropped years ago - at least the official one. You might want to have a look at this fork that still provides XBOX ports: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/

I don't think this port does include the RetroPlayer (emulators) feature which is not even in official XBMC yet as it's still a work in progress.

edit: also given that the XBOX hardware is reeeeeeally dated you most likely won't be able to play any HD stuff on it, so if you really consider using XBMC (it's called Kodi now), you better use a different, more powerful platform and OS (Win, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, ...). If you bought the XBOX only for XBMC, then I have to tell you that this was the wrong decision
(2014-11-17, 11:38)da-anda Wrote: sorry, but the support for the XBOX has been dropped years ago - at least the official one. You might want to have a look at this fork that still provides XBOX ports: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/

I don't think this port does include the RetroPlayer (emulators) feature which is not even in official XBMC yet as it's still a work in progress.

edit: also given that the XBOX hardware is reeeeeeally dated you most likely won't be able to play any HD stuff on it, so if you really consider using XBMC (it's called Kodi now), you better use a different, more powerful platform and OS (Win, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, ...). If you bought the XBOX only for XBMC, then I have to tell you that this was the wrong decision

I'm absolutely gutted now.

I wouldn't mind but I asked about before I bought it.

Is there nothing I can do with it, other than throw it in the bin. Sad
You can (or could) get some great emulators for the xbox, it may be worth having a buthers at xbox-scene.com (I thunk its .com) you can launch them via xbmc
(2014-11-17, 11:58)Saner Wrote: You can (or could) get some great emulators for the xbox, it may be worth having a buthers at xbox-scene.com (I thunk its .com) you can launch them via xbmc

Saner, I just about know how to turn it on Smile

I thought to update would be as simple as giving the machine a new address to look up and then it would auto download an update.
actually, in its day, the original xbox once installed with xbmc of the day was an awesome piece of eye-candy, in fact i still have a few units laying around the place for emergencies.

Pros:
remote is awesome, and works out of the box
fast-ish gui, easy for newbys to pick up and use
plays just abut any media of its day
possible for 720p output (HD)

Cons:
slow horse power CPU , which struggles i think with most modern *.mkv files
not alot of ram and not really user up gradable.(this became a problem with gui and addons i think)
HD content stored in any container but mpeg2 is unwatchable(imho, last time i checked)

Conclusion:.

if you want to watch dvd quality content, its a great device, boots fast straight into xbmc etc and plays any container, this box is just right.

Disclaimer:
i am sorry but i have not updated my xbox version of xbmc since the split with devs some years ago,and i expect that the current dev team over there is still pushing the envelope, so i mean no disrespect, and cannot therefore comment on its current behavior currently.

D.
(2014-11-17, 12:11)MVerde Wrote:
(2014-11-17, 11:58)Saner Wrote: You can (or could) get some great emulators for the xbox, it may be worth having a buthers at xbox-scene.com (I thunk its .com) you can launch them via xbmc
Saner, I just about know how to turn it on Smile

I thought to update would be as simple as giving the machine a new address to look up and then it would auto download an update.
Checkout some basic info on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC4Xbox and tutorial guides on xbox-scene http://xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

Today it might be good enough for your young kids or old parents/grandparents, but IMHO it's not good enough as a main media-player in the living-room.

Regardless you are actually have to do some work to get it updated and configured, just as you will also have to do with XBMC on other devices today.

(2014-11-17, 11:29)MVerde Wrote: I recently bought an original XBOX with XBMC Pre-2.1 installed. It tells me the software if over 7 years old. (I know, ancient right!)
They still update XBMC4Xbox core at xbmc4xbox.org.uk however don't have unrealistic expectations from game-console hardware released back in 2001.

Remember that game-consoles is usually not even cutting-edge hardware when it is initially released, so its CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD are almost 15-yeards old now!
(2014-11-17, 14:11)Dam0 Wrote: Conclusion:.

if you want to watch dvd quality content, its a great device, boots fast straight into xbmc etc and plays any container, this box is just right.
Except in todays market you could get an RPi which would be far more capable and won't take up half of your living room av rack (ok maybe exaggerating the size difference a bit here Wink )
I think I'm just gonna throw it in the bin, I have 0 idea of what i'm doing and nobody can give me the help I need.

I do appreciate what you guys have suggested. However, this still hasn't got me any closer to getting to do anything other than turn it on.

Thank you
this is not the right place, as others said.
you only repeat that "do anything other than turn it on"........
you have to put into the xbox using an ftp software the right version of xbmc.
and when you will turn on the consol if it has a "modchip" you can use xbmc at least!
Peppe
@MVerde, sorry but to burst your bubble, but all HTPC-software require that you at least initially put some actual work into them to get it working as you like.

HTPC-software like XBMC is a niche that primarily targets technology enthusiasts and early adopters or "geeks" who enjoy the deep-dive challenge required.

So if your attitude is to bin it if it does not just work out-of-the-box when you press the start button then I really don't think that XBMC not be for you at all.

(2014-11-17, 16:36)MVerde Wrote: I think I'm just gonna throw it in the bin, I have 0 idea of what i'm doing and nobody can give me the help I need.

I do appreciate what you guys have suggested. However, this still hasn't got me any closer to getting to do anything other than turn it on.

Thank you

Don't do that. Go over to http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk and update it. You can still even get emulators for it.
If you want to have a go then take a look at this http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewto...f=14&t=146
beautiful memories.
i have yet my old xbox somewhere....
You can also use it as a space heater, haha.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Pre 2.10