A Player that boots straight into Kodi/Xbmc
Hello All,

Can some kind person point me in the direction of a player that boots straight into Kodi and that is fairly simple to use
as i'm looking for something for my 70 year old mother

Many thanks

Mart

P.s. Has to be available in the UK
you can use an NUC and install Openelec.
That should be simple enough.
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
(2014-11-17, 15:07)tavoc Wrote: you can use an NUC and install Openelec.
That should be simple enough.

What kind of cpu would i need in a nuc
Celeron will be enough for most people
If you does not need much cpu power (e.g. heavy skins or upscaling SD Live TV Content) then the nuc 2820 should be ok.
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
Rpi with openelec is pretty simple & will boot straight into kodi.
Any android device with xbmc launcher Smile I use Measy B4A (Tronsmart cloning)
I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC (other distributions are available) as it's more or less guaranteed to work (with a decent 2A power supply etc.).

Try it out with the 70 year old. Just don't run a heavy skin or expect every add-on to work at lighting speed. I'm sure she'll be fine with the Pi performance (overclocking helps a lot), but in the unlikely event she finds it too slow then write off the £30 cost of the Pi and trade up to a £200 NUC.

If she can't get along with Kodi at all then you've lost only £30 - you might even be able to use the Pi for something/someone else.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
honestly I wouldnt get her a raspberry pi.

price wise by the time you've factored in all wifi, sd card, case and power supply, (plus remote control if she doesnt have a CEC TV) you are spending more than a dual core box with twice the RAM and much better open elec performance.

I can really recommend this box: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CMX-AML87...30173.html

flash one of the recent releases from: https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv/releases

I own both the rpi, the CMX box and the less powerful mygica A11. My overclocked rpi ranks 3rd place. I honestly dont understand why people are buying raspberry pis specifically for XBMC
I picked up a HP Chromebox for $118 via Amazon warehouse deals.

It runs XBMC like a dream. With the addition of a FLIRC for IR I couldn't ask for anything better.
(2014-11-20, 19:25)Vaevictus2 Wrote: honestly I wouldnt get her a raspberry pi.

price wise by the time you've factored in all wifi, sd card, case and power supply, (plus remote control if she doesnt have a CEC TV) you are spending more than a dual core box with twice the RAM and much better open elec performance.

I can really recommend this box: http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CMX-AML87...30173.html

flash one of the recent releases from: https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv/releases

I own both the rpi, the CMX box and the less powerful mygica A11. My overclocked rpi ranks 3rd place. I honestly dont understand why people are buying raspberry pis specifically for XBMC

I don't understand why people think the R-Pi costs so much when every time I price accessories it is closer to $50 or less. The R-Pi is "slower", but in most cases this won't be significant. Since the R-Pi has far superior video quality to almost any other ARM box out there, including better upscaling and deinterlacing, I understand very much why people keep using them.
(2014-11-20, 20:09)GoodOmens Wrote: I picked up a HP Chromebox for $118 via Amazon warehouse deals.

It runs XBMC like a dream. With the addition of a FLIRC for IR I couldn't ask for anything better.

With the sales going on right now, I think the Chromeboxes are the clear winner right now. I'm betting we'll see them even go as low as $100, but even at $118, that's an incredible deal.

For this holiday season, I think there's two main players right now: Amazon Fire TV stick ($40) and Chromebox (near $100).
Chromebook sounds good,but ...no hdmi-cec-need pulse-eght hdmi-cec.No turn on by remote,im not sure about optical.My measy have all,optical, turn on by remote,turn off all -quality of picture is better than my wd tv live.I think something with with new amlogic s805 will be even better
@martkt10,

You are going to have to Import (or ask a member nicely!) from the US if you want anything at a reasonable price.

My Mum too is getting near 70, if I were getting her something I would import a Amazon Fire TV stick.
Reason - its pretty cheap and fully capable and comes with a fairly nice responsive Bluetooth remote control that works out of the box, plus she may like Netflix.

If she can navigate XBMC, I'm sure she will have no issues navigating to a XBMC icon on the Fire TV home page and starting XBMC from there.

In fact I'm in the process of doing this right now.

Thread details here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1840959

(2014-11-21, 12:52)armagani Wrote: Chromebook sounds good,but ...no hdmi-cec-need pulse-eght hdmi-cec.No turn on by remote,im not sure about optical.My measy have all,optical, turn on by remote,turn off all -quality of picture is better than my wd tv live.I think something with with new amlogic s805 will be even better

Then I would keep an eye on the CuBox-i. Real built-in CEC, runs great, can be had of under $100, and optical audio. I've got one to test with and so far I'm really impresses with it. It runs OpenELEC, but can also run Android.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A Player that boots straight into Kodi/Xbmc0