Req / Suggestion - Expose more addon.xml tags to xbmc user-interface
Dear all,

This is something I have thought before but only realized how it might be important (or helpful - even to team-kodi members...) since a specific crappy addon has disapeared from earth's surface.

There are some tags in addon.xml that most addon dev's define but that are not exposed to xbmc's user interface (or to the regular user). I'm talking mainly about the forum tag and source code tag.
When submiting one of my addons to the xml repository I noticed these tags are used by the xbmc addons page to either link to the official xbmc.org forum post or to the source code repository. However, there isn't any place on the addon info dialog mentioning these locations...which means that common users won't know about them unless they open the addon.xml file (and they won't).

Considering the fact that most noob users get their setup already configured (either from a tech savvy friend) or worse, fully loaded from ebay or similar, they'll in most cases assume all the addons come from xbmc.org. Hence, "script error helllpppp" threads multiplicate in this forum to be garbage binned a few minutes later.
By exposing those 2 tags to the user interface, chances that regular users will notice them are higher which leads to less banned addons threads in this forum (and users pointed to alternative forums/whatever those addons can be discussed).

Keep up the fantastic work,

enen

PS: I don't want to start an off-topic discussion here nor am I anyone to judge or suggest how you should manage your project but probably the way you are handling this situation (I mean the crappy dead addon) might not be the best one. Garbagge bin a thread minutes after it was posted will only contribute to more and more similar threads to be created. Allowing one thread with rigorous control over what is written there (banning posts not the thread) for a few days and garbage bin it afterwards is probably better than garbage bin every single thread. I understand you want to keep a zero tolerance policy but since the addon is dead it somehow stopped being a "piracy addon" as it no longer exists. Just an opinion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
/ Suggestion - Expose more addon.xml tags to xbmc user-interface0