smb error on kindle fire
Hey everyone, I have a kindle fire that I installed xbmc on. It was streaming fine via upnp from my home computer. However, I bought an external hard drive, moved all my media to it, and now xbmc can't see it ("error 2: share not available"). My computer (first running Windows 8, now the win 10 preview) sees the smb share fine in xbmc, so it's definitely a problem unique to my kindle.

Has anybody else gotten network streaming to a kindle to work?

Edit for clarity:
(Sorry, the original post was written on my kindle, and the browser on it isn't great for viewing these forums)
I have a computer running Windows, a Kindle Fire, and an external hard drive.

The Kindle CAN stream via upnp from the computer.
The computer CAN stream via smb from the external hard drive.
The kindle CAN NOT stream via smb from the external drive.

Whenever I try to connect via smb, I just get the "Error 2: share not available" message. I searched and found some threads from 2011, but nothing seemed relevant.
It happened on mine. I had to go to videos then add videos/browse/add network location. instead of windows smb. then i went to browse and it found it from there you might try it if your still having problems.
Nope, I still get either "Connection refused" or "Connection timed out."

As before, though, streaming from my Windows PC sees the network share just fine.
I usually get this error when setting up with clean installs, or it will see the SMB share and let me add one directory/folder and then it doesn't see the SMB share anymore and I can't add anymore of my shared folders.

I never dug into it so now I just start with the "add network location", SMB type, shared folder name is //COMPUTER_NAME/, and then of course password to your machine.

As of late I have been getting server timeouts on both my Pi and AFTV, and I can't access any of my shared folders anymore. Somewhere along the way something got screwed up, but I found this - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=184785.

So far I haven't seen anymore timeouts after adjusting registry, but again this was after I setup the SMB shares.
I got it figured out.

I have a gigabit router connected via ethernet to my home computer, my network hdd, and my gateway. The gateway itself provides the wireless connection. This means that, in order to find the networked drive, my Kindle had a wireless connection to the gateway followed by a wired connection to the router and another wired connection to the hdd.

By disabling the wireless on my gateway and enabling it, network sharing worked again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
smb error on kindle fire0