Desktop suggestion to be my Media center for XBMC
I recently played around with XBMC on one of my desktop and i pretty much loved it. I want to buy a new small factor desktop which will have Windows / OpenELEC with XBMC. I was wondering if following configurations are good enough for my purpose. I have few dell gift cards with me so i was thinking these 2 desktop for my purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0K9R36/ - 232 USD

Quad-Core Intel Pentium J2900 (2.41GHz, Bay Trail-D)
4GB DDR3 Memory
500GB Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics
HDMI Out/DVD Burner/Media Card Reader
Gigabit Ethernet/USB 3.0/Windows 8 64-Bit

http://bfads.net/Item/Dell-Home-Home-Off...-OS/212331 - 379 USD
Inspiron Small Desktop w/ Intel Core i3 Processor
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Windows 7 OS

Any suggestions on which one would be value for money and good for my purpose ?

I am open to any other suggestion for similar price range if available. Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks !!
What precisely are you trying to do? Are you hoping to dual boot into either windows or OpenELEC?

If you are just looking for a dedicated XBMC box I'd do a HP/Asus chromebox custom loaded with OpenELEC. You can pick those up for <$130 on sale.
(2014-11-20, 20:35)GoodOmens Wrote: What precisely are you trying to do? Are you hoping to dual boot into either windows or OpenELEC?

If you are just looking for a dedicated XBMC box I'd do a HP/Asus chromebox custom loaded with OpenELEC. You can pick those up for <$130 on sale.

I want to use this as a dedicated XBMC box. Another desirable feature is to run my Plex Server on it. but its desirable not a priority.
(2014-11-20, 20:38)lakhataria Wrote:
(2014-11-20, 20:35)GoodOmens Wrote: What precisely are you trying to do? Are you hoping to dual boot into either windows or OpenELEC?

I want to use this as a dedicated XBMC box. Another desirable feature is to run my Plex Server on it. but its desirable not a priority.

Check out the thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

I picked one up last week to replace my Dune Smart HD1. The chromebox is powerful for it's size as it uses the Celeron 2955U. I can play my blu-ray ISOs, HD Audio passthrough etc without issues.

Audio/Video is HDMI only so that might be a limitation depending on what your setup is.
I dont have issues with HDMI only audio. How does ASUS/HP Chromebox compared to Dell Chromebox ? I have few gift cards for Dell with me.
(2014-11-20, 23:46)lakhataria Wrote: I dont have issues with HDMI only audio. How does ASUS/HP Chromebox compared to Dell Chromebox ? I have few gift cards for Dell with me.
The Dell Chromebox is not as noisy regarding the fan. I'd take advantage of the coupon.
(2014-11-20, 23:46)lakhataria Wrote: I dont have issues with HDMI only audio. How does ASUS/HP Chromebox compared to Dell Chromebox ? I have few gift cards for Dell with me.

they're 99.5% identical, hardware wise. The Dell has a Intel wifi/BT chip, the others have an Atheros IIRC. The HP is a bit louder and more of a pain to open up. No issues recommending the Dell if it ends up costing you less, otherwise I'm partial to the Asus.
The only addition I'd recommend is either a Flirc or some other USB IR receiver.

Check out: http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Recommen...e_Upgrades for compatible models.
The other difference is Asus unit has two memory expansion slots, whereas the HP has only one. Not sure about the Dell.
If it makes any difference though...
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2014-11-21, 08:44)shabuboy Wrote: The other difference is Asus unit has two memory expansion slots, whereas the HP has only one. Not sure about the Dell.
If it makes any difference though...

I have the HP with only 2GB of ram. So far I've had no need to upgrade. Even still I could bump it up to >4GB with a single stick (just more costly) if the need arises down the road. For a openelec/XBMC install only the stock 2GB is more than plenty.
Any problems with excessive fan noise or high temperatures with the HP Chromebox ?

(2014-11-21, 19:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Any problems with excessive fan noise or high temperatures with the HP Chromebox ?

Not with Matts custom firmware. He tweaked the fans to be less aggressive. In a silent room you can hear it but honestly who watches TV with the audio off Tongue. It's certainty not noticeable while playing any video.

Although sitting next to my chromebox is my synology NAS so the noise of 4 drives seeking could be drowning out some of the fan noise.
I have the HP chromebox and unless you sit within 3ft of the box with everything on mute, windows closed, hold your breath... you won't be hearing it.
(2014-11-21, 00:40)Matt Devo Wrote:

they're 99.5% identical, hardware wise. The Dell has a Intel wifi/BT chip, the others have an Atheros IIRC. The HP is a bit louder and more of a pain to open up. No issues recommending the Dell if it ends up costing you less, otherwise I'm partial to the Asus.

Thanks. I see both are pretty much similar. ASUS selling it little cheaper than Dell anyways so I may stick with ASUS as well. Whats the difference mainly between Celeron / i3 version (M04/M075) ? which one is better for xbmc usage (not heavy user) ? Is it good to go with lower end cpu and bump up the memory ?
Celeron works fine and doesn't need more than 2G. Save your money for popcorn & beer.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Desktop suggestion to be my Media center for XBMC0