• 3(current)
Win HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player
Hi,

I'd like to use MPC-HC for MKV but only with a videocodec H265 (or HEVC), and use the classical Kodi dvdplayer for all other files.
Is it possible to do so with the playercorefactory.xml ?

My playercorefactory.xml looks like this, but it currently uses MPC-HC for all MKV files (H264 and H265) :

Code:
<playercorefactory>
    <players>
        <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
            <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
            <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
            <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
            <playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
        </player>
    </players>
    <rules action="prepend">
        <rule filetypes="mkv" player="MPC-HC">
        </rule>
        <rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
        </rule>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>

I've tried to change this line
Code:
to
Code:
        <rule videocodec=".*hevc.*" player="MPC-HC">

but when I click on a MKV file (H264 or H265) to read it, it allways uses the DVDPlayer (and not MPC-HC for H265 files).

So maybe the codec cannot be read before lauching the video ? Or the ".*hevc.*" is not correctly written in the xml file ?
Or maybe do I have to write into a nfo file that the codec of the movie is hevc, but how ?

For more information about this rule based on videocodec that I've tried, when I make a right clic on a movie and select "Read with", it shows the correct default player (MPC-HC for H265 mkv files, and DVDPlayer for other files), but a simple left click on the movie does not run the correct player (allways DVDPlayer).

Waiting for some help, Blush

Best regards
I love this guide and went through most parts of it.

However, I have a problem because while Kodi knows where to find my videos on my NAS (Shared via NFS) ... MPC HC doesn't seem to know where to find those videos.

I tried using some videos on my Hard Drive that windows uses and that went fine.... Guess I have to map all my network drives to Windows drives and then re-teach Kodi to find them that way.
(2015-03-29, 18:14)bhampton Wrote: I love this guide and went through most parts of it.

However, I have a problem because while Kodi knows where to find my videos on my NAS (Shared via NFS) ... MPC HC doesn't seem to know where to find those videos.

I tried using some videos on my Hard Drive that windows uses and that went fine.... Guess I have to map all my network drives to Windows drives and then re-teach Kodi to find them that way.

That is surprising and doesn't make sense to me at all. You might have to sign up for an account and post at the Doom9 forums for official MPC-HC support. It is a bit of a pain to sign-up and you have to answer some ridiculous questions to get your first few posts in, but the developers of MPC respond directly to questions in that thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

DSPlayer has preliminary support for madVR through an alpha build. You could wait for a more stable release and transition to it.

I have guide in-progress for that solution:

222576 (thread)
(2015-03-29, 17:32)xcalibur1408 Wrote: Hi,

I'd like to use MPC-HC for MKV but only with a videocodec H265 (or HEVC), and use the classical Kodi dvdplayer for all other files.
Is it possible to do so with the playercorefactory.xml ?

My playercorefactory.xml looks like this, but it currently uses MPC-HC for all MKV files (H264 and H265) :

Code:
<playercorefactory>
    <players>
        <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
            <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
            <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
            <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
            <playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
        </player>
    </players>
    <rules action="prepend">
        </rule>
        <rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
        </rule>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>

I've tried to change this line
Code:
to
Code:
        <rule videocodec=".*hevc.*" player="MPC-HC">

but when I click on a MKV file (H264 or H265) to read it, it allways uses the DVDPlayer (and not MPC-HC for H265 files).

So maybe the codec cannot be read before lauching the video ? Or the ".*hevc.*" is not correctly written in the xml file ?
Or maybe do I have to write into a nfo file that the codec of the movie is hevc, but how ?

For more information about this rule based on videocodec that I've tried, when I make a right clic on a movie and select "Read with", it shows the correct default player (MPC-HC for H265 mkv files, and DVDPlayer for other files), but a simple left click on the movie does not run the correct player (allways DVDPlayer).

Waiting for some help, Blush

Best regards

Your rule doesn't look right at all. I think the codec is called h265 not hevc. And the formatting is not right. You should try:

<rule videocodec="h265" player="MPC-HC">

If that doesn't work, you should start a new thread in the Windows support thread. It is possible the rules for external players need to be updated to include this codec.

Another alternative would be to add an .hevc suffix to each filename and create a rule based on the filename.
(2015-03-29, 20:50)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 18:14)bhampton Wrote: I love this guide and went through most parts of it.

That is surprising and doesn't make sense to me at all. You might have to sign up for an account and post at the Doom9 forums for official MPC-HC support. It is a bit of a pain to sign-up and you have to answer some ridiculous questions to get your first few posts in, but the developers of MPC respond directly to questions in that thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

DSPlayer has preliminary support for madVR through an alpha build. You could wait for a more stable release and transition to it.

I have guide in-progress for that solution:

222576 (thread)

Thanks,... I just redid my whole library with mapped network drives and I think that will work. (And I don't think I will run out of letters to map network drives to but .. maybe eventually.)

Edit - But you're right about how it doesn't make sense maybe because running MPC I can browse to the network shares and open files... Maybe I will try again.
HI OP, great tutorial. Detailed and simple. Thanks ..

However, I have one question about using playing DVD folders in MPC-HC.
Just like you I am using Harmony one and MCE remote to control my HTPC.
However, I cannot get the remote to navigate the DVD menu.
I mapped the up/down remote keys to DVD navigation actions and Enter key for DVD activate (assuming that maps to the OK key on the remote).
I was assuming while navigating DVD menu, the DVD navigation keys would take precedence over seek operations.
But that doesn't seem to work, any suggestions?

TIA
I've never attempted to play a DVD, so I'm not sure I could be of much help. However, I posted your question at the Doom9 forums in hope a response could be found there.

You can track that thread here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1715649.
Question 
HELP! - I tried everything in the tutorial and it didn't work.
  • Installed MPC, installed MadVR.
  • Then i created the .xml file and placed it in userdata. Copy pasted the code from the post.
  • I launch Kodi. Select Video > Genesis. Click a movie i want to play and the default Kodi player launches....
When i right click to select "Play" it doesn't give that option.

EDIT: to clarify, i want to watch Online Streams from addons like Genesis through MPC.
Can't do it. Online streams won't work. Please delete the references to Genesis or this thread may be deleted as spam. It is against the forum policy to talk about pirate streams.
Been using MPC-HC as an external player for years now, upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and now MPC-HC won't exit after playing a video. Anyone else having this issue? I'd expect some other upgraders to come across this post.

I am using the /close argument, however even MPC-HC's built in After Playing options won't work.
(2015-07-30, 16:15)zodduska Wrote: Been using MPC-HC as an external player for years now, upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and now MPC-HC won't exit after playing a video. Anyone else having this issue? I'd expect some other upgraders to come across this post.

I am using the /close argument, however even MPC-HC's built in After Playing options won't work.

Are you using Stop to exit and stop playback in the Keys menu?
I kinda got it working with the MEDIA_STOP command, however I'm guessing that will still leave it open after a video has run its course, as opposed to me manually pressing the Stop button on the remote. Haven't tested yet to make sure.
(2015-07-31, 20:05)zodduska Wrote: I kinda got it working with the MEDIA_STOP command, however I'm guessing that will still leave it open after a video has run its course, as opposed to me manually pressing the Stop button on the remote. Haven't tested yet to make sure.

If you use the playercorefactory.xml posted in this guide, everything should work fine.
post deleted
I ask, you can 'add to playercorefactory.xml one another external player, I would like to add MPC-BE, I tried, but I'm too messed with tags ... default external player as I would like MPC-BE as a player and external secondary MPC- HC.
attaching current playercorefactory.xml

PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
<
players>
<
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<
filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<