Win XBMC won't play H.264 MP4 files
Hi, I just converted a lot of my video files to MP4 format to save some space. Now they won't play. I used the H.264 encoder, downloadable at www.h264encoder.com. I have about 300 cartoons I've converted. They all played when they were .AVI files but refuse to play now that they're MP4. All other formats play successfully.

I'm using XBMC Gotham, the latest version on a standalone Windows 8 computer. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any information!

Dan
Using a bad video encoder? That would be my guess. That site looks kind of sketchy on details about the app, too.
Assuming you've still got your original avi files try using Handbrake to convert one of them. If you've still got problems then we need you to use a program called MediaInfo to analyse file properties and for you to provide a Debug_log (wiki) taken while you play one of the files.
Thanks for replying to my message!

I kind of discovered something. I use Pseudo-TV Live to watch a lot of my recorded material tv grid-style, and it's not that XBMC won't play the MP4 files because when I add them as "Movies" they play fine, it's Pseudo-TV that won't play them! I figured if I installed the Pseudo-TV Live app, then because XBMC plays them, then it should too. Apparently not.

I wonder if I'm missing a Pseudo-TV dependency?
What would be the correct settings to get a 7-minute cartoon down to about 40-50 mb, which is how this conversion utility compressed my MP4 files? When I do it at the default settings using XBOX AVI, it raises each file by an additional 20 mb... so what is now 50 mb would turn out to be near 70 mb after conversion. I need it to stay roughly the same size. The point of converting all of my files to MP4 was to save space, not make more! LOL!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC won't play H.264 MP4 files0