Using Kodi / XBMC as Remote media renderer
Question 
Hello Everybody

I wasn't too sure where to put this question and hope this is where it should have gone to.
My question is about Kodi and its ability to render media.

Here's what what I'm trying to do.

I have lightweight upnp players in every room. These devices have very limited hardware and thus rendering some 1080p Movies locally is impossible.
Now my idea was to install Kodi / XBMC on my NAS (where any of the files are located) and use Kodi / XBMC to render the media remotely and stream it to the "lighwieght" devices.

Is Kodi / XBMC capable of rendering media remotely and simply stream it to a upnp client? I saw that Kodi can act as a upnp server but did not find whether it is rendering it as well.

Thanks very much for your info.
Regards
Chris
nope
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-11-23, 22:31)Martijn Wrote: nope

Too bad, but thanks for the info anyway!
You can use Kodi as a media renderer now, works here with Windows 10 Media Player.
Unfortunately it does not work with foobar2000 and the UPnP MediaRenderer Output component from here:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_upnp
Kodi 17.6
Yeah, I'm not sure why the first answer was no, because Kodi has been able to do this for several years. Once the right UPnP settings are enabled (Kodi -> Settings -> Services -> UPnP) you even get a "play with" option in the context menu when you select a video. While a video is playing you can even use the "Y" key (or map a remote key to "SwitchPlayer") and select a UPnP target on the fly.
... and all of a sudden, without having changed anything, it even works with foobar2000.
Kodi 17.6
(2016-09-10, 10:44)Protheon Wrote: ... and all of a sudden, without having changed anything, it even works with foobar2000.

Kodi's UPnP server code has some bugs in it, IIRC. Sometimes it's a little touchy. I think there are long term plans to replace that code with something better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi / XBMC as Remote media renderer0