• 4(current)
Kodi Animation thread
we can't do a loading animation upfront splash, unless you make the splash the loading animation and show the intro as part of skin "startup" animation.
Redarding the speed - well, everybody is trying to speed things up by optimizing things, adding a SSD and we also try to get as fast into the home screen as possible. Adding an animation that takes twice as long as regular startup on modern systems might not be ideal in this case. Otoh we don't know yet how exactly the animations will get added so there might/could be a setting to turn it off. One thing to consider though is file size - we don't want to bloat our distribution packages by tons of megabytes just for the splash - especially given that we try to slim down the core and move stuff out to addons that can be installed on demand (vizualisations f.e.).

edit: I think my personal limit for a startup animation would be 3 secs max - anything else would be turned off because it would just be annoying on the long run)

edit2: a long(er) version could be used for video intros (tutorial videos, ...)
http://youtu.be/Sf1Q8JtLRg4

Well in the POC kodi loads up in the background already - but this is problematic (its cool that epg is already loaded once the splash is done - but on the other hand i only here the "bling bling" of some toast but i totally miss it because its behind the splash). So i agree that we need some bikeshedding on the technical solution Wink - also it seems we need some time to load/decode/extract such a big gif - i had to remove the 80MB Ram limit to get the whole animation running. So this all is not so easy - on low memory devices the splash animation has to be limited to a couple of frames (we have them unpacked in ram - each frame ...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Martijn & @da-anda: thanks for the infos. Ok well, we can always have a separated loading icon that reminds of the logo animation in some way: rotating box / arrows or a folding/unfolding box.This icon is not used when launching the software but only by the skin, maybe?

Ok then shorter & smaller in size is the way it seems. And maybe flat bg and smaller logo & text to save some disk space too. And I calculated 3 secs are from "arrows point" to end so I think 3 is fine, maybe 4 to have 1sec more time to read "Kodi". We also need to choose how the animation starts, if I leave the animation as it is now (and use only the last 3 secs), it starts with arrows (could be the loading icon) rotating & transforming to K right away, then "Kodi" appears. But we can start the animation in other ways as I said.
@samfisher, awesome animation and great idea for the folding/unfolding box!

@animatedgif, can't be played just a video instead?
(2014-11-28, 20:15)joethefox Wrote: @animatedgif, can't be played just a video instead?

(2014-11-28, 19:54)Memphiz Wrote: http://youtu.be/Sf1Q8JtLRg4

Well in the POC kodi loads up in the background already - but this is problematic (its cool that epg is already loaded once the splash is done - but on the other hand i only here the "bling bling" of some toast but i totally miss it because its behind the splash). So i agree that we need some bikeshedding on the technical solution Wink - also it seems we need some time to load/decode/extract such a big gif - i had to remove the 80MB Ram limit to get the whole animation running. So this all is not so easy - on low memory devices the splash animation has to be limited to a couple of frames (we have them unpacked in ram - each frame ...)

For some reason I can't find the PR but there was one who worked on (and IIRC finished) a control which used ffmpeg. This we could potentially use. Although I guess we really need to plot out the loading order and see what make sense to use.

BTW IMO the loading should behave as in your POC, wait until animation is finished. Its the best in branding scenarios also. If you want it to load ASAP choose a small animation (and possibly loop). Could obviously have an advanced setting for it though.

Anyways, with that said it should be short. But as a first animated splash I wouldn't' be against one which is on the longer and cooler side of things Tongue
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2014-11-28, 20:41)topfs2 Wrote: Anyways, with that said it should be short. But as a first animated splash I wouldn't' be against one which is on the longer and cooler side of things Tongue

Agree with this. I'd be OK with even a 5 or 6 second animation on first run. Then a much shorter one for every subsequent launch (definable in the settings, ideally).
Was it https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5575
I'm surprised some people find it too long. Personally, I feel the animation length is just right. I do agree with the posts above however, regarding having the option to choose between a longer/shorter one.
(2014-11-28, 15:53)samfisher Wrote: Here's something from me. I liked the rotation of the 1st one so I did something similar for the intro, then made an X appears and transforms to K. Smile

OH MY GOD THIS IS SO GOOD!

X = xbmc
arrows = remote control buttons
K = kodi

I'd like to see this animation on my tv right now! Maybe speed it up a bit like others suggest, for me the current speed is fine.
Glitter / rotation / shadows / reflections - doesn't matter for now. The basic concept of X --> buttons --> K is perfect.
(2014-11-28, 15:53)samfisher Wrote: Here's something from me. I liked the rotation of the 1st one so I did something similar for the intro, then made an X appears and transforms to K. :)

Had to cut out a part of the animation, original one is longer and 1080p.

Can you post the movie version somewhere like youtube? I want to try it with Cinema Experience :)
Thanks!

@ned Scott: here's the 720p version link
tried to make it small, not the best quality possible, but should go for now. Smile
Quote:samfisher
Team Kodi-Member

Can you tell we like it? :D
(2014-11-28, 15:53)samfisher Wrote: Here's something from me. I liked the rotation of the 1st one so I did something similar for the intro, then made an X appears and transforms to K. Smile

Does look awesome. If length is still a concern (and also maybe just a personal idea), to just have the work 'Kodi' fade in under the logo with no rotation.

Either way, it looks awesome
just start on white background and drop the zoom in at beginning.
great work.
(2014-11-29, 11:35)skybird1980 Wrote: just start on white background and drop the zoom in at beginning.
great work.

+1
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Animation thread8