Sluggish HD playback
As I mentioned in my other thread, I've recently changed from Windows to XBMCbuntu. I've identified another issue, namely that HD videos (even 720p) playback very slowly - like half the proper speed. This is a dedicated HTPC and definitely capable of playing 1080p as I have been on the Windows install. I checked in top and the CPU usage only seemed to be about 13-14% (up from 8% in the XBMC GUI) when playing these movies but I may have made an error there, I'm new to Linux. Toying with the settings hasn't seemed to achieve anything. SD MP4's are playing fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?
The problem is possibly audio related (yes playing to a wrongly set up audio setting can make the video go slow.).

I suggest a debug log (wiki) , screenshots of your audio settings page (with settings level set to advanced) and a description of how your audio is set up, eg computer --hdmi-->tv

computer--HDMI-->AVR--HDMI-->Tv

comp--SPDIF-->AVR

etc,
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Log file here: http://pastebin.com/wPQRYBqv

XBMC Log Uploader wouldn't run so I needed to pull the log file using SFTP and part of the log file relates to those script failures too.

I did mess around with the audio settings a bit to see if anything would change and I didn't see any effect. My current set up is HTPC => HDMI => AVR => TV (no SPDIF). Audio settings: http://i.imgur.com/bOX4mRh.png (have also tried with passthrough enabled).
Your log does not have debugging turned on.

Install pastebinit
Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit
Turn on debugging
restart kodi
reproduce the problem
run
Code:
pastebinit .kodi/temp/kodi.log
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Right, sorry. Here you go: http://paste.ubuntu.com/9209061/

Playing at about 7-8 FPS.
Quote:14:01:00 T:139761138243328 WARNING: VDPAU::Open: requested picture dimensions (1280, 694) exceed hardware capabilities ( 0, 0).

Your GPU seems outdated is outdated as hell and seems not to support GPU decoding. What GPU is that? Old AMD RS870?

You might have more luck with sw Decoding: Video -> Acceleration: Decoding Method Software.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It's integrated, ATI Radeon HD3200. The system is about five years old but has never had any trouble with 1080p before let alone 7fps with 720p.

EDIT: No major difference with software decoding.
That system is not able to do any hw decoding. So what you see here is expected.

Edit: Though 720p should work correctly. Make sure that your scaling algorithm is set to bilinear.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
As I've said, it worked flawlessly for five years playing both 1080p and 720p. The hardware has not changed. The scaling is bilinear. I should also add, I just retested and the debug is now showing fps up around 30 but it is still playing at about half speed or worse. The problem is the same whether hardware acceleration is on or off.
AMD does most probably support HW decoding under windows, but the linux driver is lacking for that very old card.
@_F12 does it make a difference if you disable "sync playback to display"?
Ah, I didn't even consider that the driver support might be the cause. That's a shame - perhaps I'll need to revert back to a Windows setup.

No, there's no (appreciable) difference with syncing playback to display disabled.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sluggish HD playback0