Acer C710 Chromebook (Celeron 847) as an HTPC
Hi everyone!

I am looking to hook something up to a HDTV to watch 1080p H.264 over network and some YouTube. I have an old C710 Chromebook stashed in my closet which I would like to utilize instead of buying a new device. However, I can not find any information on whether this device is supported by Kodi / OpenELEC / etc. while I understand that Celeron 847 is enough to decode video.

So, my questions are:
  • Is it possible to get Kodi on C710 with or without SeaBIOS?
  • Can it handle 1080p H.264 decoding? Hi10P?
  • Will HDMI Audio Passthrough be usable so I can get 5.1?
  • Are there any known stability issues with Celeron 847? (Like video stability issues on RK3188)
  • Is it, in fact, a good idea at all or should I invest in a Chromebox / Android TV box? If so, any top of the head suggestions below 150$?

It is also worth noting that I am pretty much comfortable around Linux and did some XBMC hacking back in the day so I am not scared by having to apply patches / compiling Kodi myself if the end result is going to be great.
I'd look into flashing John Lewis' custom coreboot firmware for the C710 (see: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/...3921524726), then install OpenELEC and see how it goes. I'd expect 1080p and DD/DTS passthru will be fine, but not sure about HD audio, and definitely not Hi-10P. That GPU has the 24p bug, but you might not notice.
HD audio is supposed to work on the Celeron 847. At least, it's supported anyway by the Intel HD GPU. The 847 runs OpenELEC very well. There was a long, long thread here a while back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer C710 Chromebook (Celeron 847) as an HTPC0