Major Update to XMovieGuide
for anyone interested (and not actively reading the xbox-scene scripting forum), i'm finally updating xmovieguide. i plan to make it modular in a way that will make it easy for people to write parsers for webpages other than hollywood.com, and xmovieguide just use the movie list provided by those parsers.

okay, here's what i'm currently looking at. i'm just designing it at the moment, so it might change significantly once i'm guts-deep in writing it, but i wanted to give you a basic idea.

the xmovieguide folder will contain a handful of python files with names that start with "mgsource_" such as "mgsource_hollywood".

each of those mgsource files will contain specific instructions for reading and parsing a particular movie website. xmovieguide will hand it some sort of identifier (such as a zip code in the us), and it will hand xmovieguide back a list (well, actually a dictionary) of movies.

so, instead of rewriting xmovieguide to work with a different website, all anyone would have to do is figure out how to parse the html for that website, and write up a new mgsource file and drop it in the folder. i'll have to add an option in xmovieguide for choosing which mgsource to use, but that won't be hard.

this will make it a lot easier for people to develop compatibility with different sites. they will need to know python, and they will need to be pretty good at regular expressions probably, but they won't have to deal much with my code, and it will be a lot simpler to know which parts to replace, and which parts to leave the same. i'll probably even write up a tutorial on how to build an mgsource file, based on the work i do to get hollywood.com (or movietickets or whomever i use) working again.

but, i want to be clear. i don't really intend to write all those mgsource files. just make it a lot easier for interested parties to make and share that level of support.

anyone interested in working on that, follow this thread for updates on exactly how i'm setting these up, and details on how and when to start building source files. you can feel free to visit your favorite movie guide site and start viewing the source html, to try to get an idea for what will and won't work, when we get to that point.
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
sweet dude, im definately interested. i will be checking this thread regularly so keep us updated.
Okay, this took longer than I'd anticipated, and it's not at 100% yet, but it's basically working, and you can all get a good idea what I'm trying to do with it.

I'm going to wait a week or so before mentioned the update to the users crowd, iron out SOME of the little problems first, but the current download includes a couple of sample MGSource files, so I wanted to let you guys see them in case anyone wants to get started working on developing them for other websites.

It's still working on the basic assumption that your source website will give you:
A list of theaters near you if you provide it a string describing your location (e. g. zip code in the US)
A list of movies currently showing near you if you provide it a string describing your location (e. g. zip code in the US)
A list of showtimes for a given movie at a given theater.

It's helpful if the website can select among several different choices of search radius, and if it can be parsed to provide movie details on a movie off just the movie's title. Those last are optional, though.

Take a look at the download on my website, give it a try, and let me know if you have any questions.
For scripts, script development tools, and documentation, visit my website:
http://www.maskedfox.com/xbmc/
Nice... cannot wait until it is complete! Maybe you can even enhance it a bit by showing movie posters and such.

Also, just a suggestion... having the info display like the web site does where all the movies and time list on the same screen would mike it less clicks and easier to view. This way we could also fit it into the PM3 skin screen much easier:
Theaters on the left, movies/times on the right, zip/radius on the bottom.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Sweet dude, Ill give it a try now!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Major Update to XMovieGuide0