OS X noob's install questions
Greetings.
Having a couple problems getting up and running, and haven't found the answers in the forum or the wiki. I'm not tech-savvy, so find the wiki hard to follow at times...
Downloaded the stable app for my system (Gotham 13.2 for a Core i5 iMac running 10.9.2), opened the dmg, and dropped the app into the Applications folder. Started up the app and it opened. In the process of opening, a couple of "Script Failed" errors popped up, but then the notices disappeared from the screen. I couldn't tell if the problem remained or if completion of the opening process had removed the cause of the problems. Went ahead to enable some video add-ons, and they downloaded with no fuss. Figured out how to install and access a couple of repositories, and the new options for add-ons appeared in my list of available add-ons. Enabled a couple of these new add-ons. Then I tried to open one of these video sources. Every source I tried, including those provided with the app, brought up a "Script Failed" error.
I figure I must be doing something basically wrong. First possibility: I like to keep my audio-video apps in a separate folder inside the Applications folder, so that I can find the apps more easily. That doesn't work with some apps, which won't operate unless they're in the top layer of the Applications folder. Is that what's going on here? A simple inability of one aspect of the program to find another?
If so, can I simply move the app out of the inner folder and leave into the top level of the Applications folder? Or have I screwed up the addressing too much, so that I'll have to uninstall everything and start from scratch?
Or is the location of the app not an issue, as long as it's in the Applications folder somewhere? If that's not the problem, what is? It's clearly a general problem, and not related to a specific provider's add-ons. I don't think this is a bug, I think it's simply a matter of a lack of documentation about how I need to configure things to keep from screwing myself in the foot.

Some specs:
OSX 10.9.2
21.5-inch iMac, Mid 2011
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Install Method: downloaded dmg, put app in Applications folder (in a sub-folder)
TBH i never checked if it needs to be placed in the root of the Applications folder. But it should be pretty easy for you to check (by moving it out of the subfolder). Beside that we can't say anything without you providing a debug log (wiki).

Also if you are starting now i would recommend you to start with Kodi Helix (which is in beta phase now) - because Gotham 13.2 won't receive updates anymore. Latest beta4 is here:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/osx/x86_...x86_64.dmg
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
xbmclogs.com is still down so you will need to follow the Advanced instructions to retrieve the log file and post the link here.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Thanks, Memphiz —
I was afraid to move the app from the subfolder — I thought that could screw things up even more — but with your encouragement I did so. That simple move out of the subfolder solved the problem, leaving things working simply and cleanly. I'll investigate the Helix version after I get a bit more accustomed to the system, which now looks very promising!
Ok i try to keep it in my mind - but supporting subfolders in applications folder is really really low on priority ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Del.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
noob's install questions0