Video conferencing capability in XBMC using WebRTC
Hi Everyone,
I have bought a Raspberry Pi model B+ and using it as a personal media centre powered by OpenElec XBMC connected to my Bravia. I am loving every bit of it.
The only thing I am missing is an one touch video conferencing app like FaceTime on my iPhone. I did an extensive search in internet to find out if something is readily available but i didn't find any such app. (Please let me know if anything is readily available to be used with xbmc, so that i don't have to do it by myself)
As I didn't find anything ,I am planning to build one such app using all open source technologies. My plan is to use WebRTC for peer to peer connection and QML for developing a WebRTC client in XBMC.
I found this video on youtube where some guys have developed one such videoconferencing application using qtmediahub.
video conferencing using qtmediahub

Am I at the correct starting point ? what are the things I should consider before starting work?

Please suggest/advice.
I for one would love to see this implemented as well. Considering that most of us XBMC'ers have before us a large flat-panel TV, what could be more natural than to initiate/accept video calls direct from the XBMC GUI itself? The only alternative is to run XBMC on a full O/S (such as Linux Mint which BTW I much prefer over using my rPi simply because it enables seamless access to ALL of the installed apps -- including a browser -- just by pressing the "\" key on my keyboard from within XBMC). Also, keep in mind that in addition to Skype and other standalone video conferencing apps, there are a number of browser-based WebRTC apps out there that could provide the functionality you want but again, you'd likely have to run XBMC from a full O/S in order to benefit. Wink
qml and kodi is not gonna fly, there is no qt usage in kodi. you have to build the ui using the kodi bindings.

this sounds doable as a script (python).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video conferencing capability in XBMC using WebRTC0