Migrating existing addon to official repository
I have an addon that's currently distributed through my own addon repository, however I'd like to migrate it to the official repository. I'd like to make this transition as smooth as possible for any existing users, so just wondering what the best way to go about this is?

If I just bump the version number and put the new version only in the official repo, will Kodi automatically pick up this new version and upgrade? Assuming not, what's the most seamless way to transition? Should I just ask users to reinstall from the official repo? If so, do I need to change the addon id or name?

Thanks for your help.
Ideally, it would recognise the other version, but if it doesnt:

I suppose you could update the version on your repo to give them a pop up saying 'We've moved location to the official repo" or something similar.

Then you could give them the option of automatically installing to the other official version.

Then when they run the other version for the first time (which you can do from your old script) this new official version could check for the existence of the other version, copy over the settings, and delete the older install.

I think doing things like deleting other addons is something that the official repo gatekeepers dont like. But if you notify the user before doing anything, and give them the chance to opt-out of the action, then you might be ok.
Thanks Karnagious. Do you know if there's a nice way (API) to programmatically install or remove an addon?

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to set up a couple of repos and experiment with a few scenarios.
IIRC when I moved OzWeather in, I just upped the version number and it all went fine.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2014-11-26, 06:29)ampedandwired Wrote: Thanks Karnagious. Do you know if there's a nice way (API) to programmatically install or remove an addon?

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to set up a couple of repos and experiment with a few scenarios.

Doesnt look like it is needed!

But to answer the question. The json rpc-api doesnt allow you to delete or uninstall addons, but it does give you the path of the addon, which you can use to shutil.rmtree that sucker out of existence.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrating existing addon to official repository0