Solved Helix library scanning: skipping directories on ExFat disk
(2015-02-16, 12:04)mkortstiege Wrote: I've just briefly tested this so please let me know if it works for you so I can PR the changes. Thanks.

Will do as soon as possible but I am not sure whether today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast patch!
Thanks. I'll most likely PR it nonetheless so it has a chance to be included in the upcoming 14.2 Helix release.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
as expected it completely works with usefasthash set to false. Every way to update the library works now. Thank you so much for this!
(Also it's not sluggish either)

But: This goes only for newly added episodes. Episodes that were removed and re-added aren't picked up by a library update.
(Also here, sometimes "scan for new content" works and sometimes it doesn't, last log it doesn't)
I remember that you said there was some other problem involved in that scenario. I don't care too much as I very rarely re-add something, this is just a heads-up on this.

Thanks again!
Right there was an issue but i thought i fixed that. Furthermore it should not try to scan the tbbt season 8 folder. Just the parent show dir. I guess either mass testing or the recent changes to how "scan for new content" works is causing that. Running "Update Library" from side menu or activating the startup scan in video settings should work fine.

Mind starting with a complete fresh video database? I think the issue will be gone.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I'm sorry but no. I just tried again and it didn't work.

one log where "scan for new content" works but library update doesn't
another log, where neither works, only "refresh for all"

This time I didn't even do anything other than removing, cleaning, re-adding and updating, so no mass adding before should have screwed it up. Mind that also the log from my last post was done on a library that was just created some 20 minutes before and the only thing done to it was to incrementally add new episodes and updating through various methods to test them all.

So it seems that this problem persists (or is back?) but I can live with this. (I am sure it is much harder for you..)

Quick additional question: Is the usefasthash advanced setting already active in todays 14.2 2259d0b (it should be if I read the trac correctly, right) ?
Jep, its active. Mind posting the exact steps you performed so i can reproduce? I think i know what happened.
OK:
1 delete Kodi folder from ~/Library/Application Support
2 start test build
3 add tv source and let it scan
4 enable debug logging and quit
4a insert advancedsettings.xml in userdata
5 restart kodi
6 remove one episode from the "Season 8" folder
7 in Kodi clean the library, check the TV section to confirm it's removed
8 add the file back to the folder
9 update library from the side menu -> this doesn't work
10 "scan for new content" on the show's context menu, this works *sometimes*
11 refresh from show information, this always works

in the last three logs you can see me performing steps 5 through 11, of course you won't see steps 6 and 8 as this is done from the Finder.

I won't be online any longer tonight but I will reply in the morning.
From now on I will test with the 14.1 betas as I also have the "jerky playback" problem that jingal fixed.

edit: oops, I forgot the step where I add the advacedsettings.xml
Here´s what happens. The info scanner is generating a hash based on path, date and size for all items for the given path. Clean Library detects a non existing file and nukes the specific entries. Adding back the same file (same path, date and size) is not generating a different hash which makes the scanner skip the directory. This only happens when explicitly skipping fast hash via as.xml.

I will check how much code is needed to perform the path invalidation while cleanup. Since this is a pretty rare case i am not sure if it´s worth the hassle though.
(2015-02-18, 17:33)mkortstiege Wrote: Since this is a pretty rare case i am not sure if it´s worth the hassle though.

As stated before, I agree. I just wanted you to know.
Thanks again for the fix! I will edit the title to solved.
I can confirm that the kodi-20150216-eee7ca7-helix_opt_fasthash-x86_64.dmg build along with creating the advancedsettings.xml with the usefasthash element set to false fixes the main issue.

What I did to test.
Nuke my Gotham install including all supporting files/dir
Install helix ...fasthash build
Turn debugging on
Add TV Shows source and let finish scan with 1 episode pulled out
Turn on scan on startup
exit
place the 1 removed episode into the show directory
restart kodi
Scan on update does not pick up the show episode(as expected)
exit
Create advancedsettings.xml file with the fasthash directive set to false
restart kodi
scan on update now finds the show episode

Thank you both mkortstiege and juramusger for your work on solving this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Helix library scanning: skipping directories on ExFat disk1