Can't add location for Samba folder on XBMC (using shared internet connection)
Hello guys,

I'm trying to stream some movies on XBMC from shared folders on a desktop that I have connected through ethernet to a laptop that's connected to my network through wi-fi.
I can access the shared folders on the laptop that's directly connected to my network just fine but I can't access the ones on the desktop that's using the laptop's connection.
I think this may be due to the fact that I had to set it to a different IP range so as to not conflict with it (which allowed me to access the laptop's internet connection).
I can also access the shared folders on the desktop just fine through the laptop but they don't show up on XBMC.
Does anyone know how can I get this to work?

Thanks!

Laptop connection details (directly connected to the network - feeding the connection to the desktop):
IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
WINS IPv4 Server: 192.168.1.254

Desktop connection details (using laptop's shared connection):
IP Address: 192.168.2.200
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers: 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.1.254 (Router IP)

My network on the laptop says "Unidentified Network", btw.
What's this got to do with Raspberry Pi, or Kodi, or any Kodi distribution that runs on Raspberry Pi?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Isn't this forum for questions related to XBMC running on Raspberry Pi?
I'm having problems adding a location for my shared folders on the XBMC interface and was wondering if someone could help me access them.
Sure, but your post mentions absolutely nothing about a Pi, or gives any details about it (what distribution, wired/wifi, dhcp, does it even have an IP address etc. etc.).

And trying to diagnose the fault in your tortured network without any understanding of the operating systems running on your laptop/desktop is a bit of an ask, although presumably it's Windows on both, with ICS on the laptop.

Personally, I'd suggest buying a cheap WiFi access point/router and setting up your network properly. It's highly unlikely this problem has anything to do with the Pi or Kodi, to be honest.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
XBMC is running on the Pi connected through ethernet at 192.168.1.86.
I'm running Windows 7 on both the desktop and the laptop that's sharing its wi-fi connection with it through ethernet.
The IPs on both the laptop and desktop were posted on my first post.
I don't understand why I can't see the shared folders on the desktop on XBMC running on the Pi although I can see them on the laptop.
Is this due to the laptop being on a different subnet than the desktop?
The laptop's IP is 192.168.1.70 on the wi-fi connection but on the shared ethernet connection I had to set it to another IP range, it's 192.168.2.1. The desktop that's using the shared connection is at 192.168.2.200.
The separate subnets IMO is likely the problem. I'm fairly certain that you would have to do some in depth configuration to have samba share across subnets. Samba is only configured by default to share on it's own subnet.

All of which seems to be a windows/samba issue and not at all dependent on the raspi or XBMC.
It's probably a routing problem - you need to look at what routes are set up, and pay careful attention to the masks which are being used. By default these local net addresses don't get routed outside the immediate network
Derek
I managed to get the desktop on the same ip range as the laptop and fixed the unrecognized network problem, they're all on home network now.
I've also disabled the homegroup and followed the configurations depicted on: http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows for Windows 7 but still can't see the shares on the desktop using the shared connection.
Would screenshots of "ipconfig" help you help me fix this problem?

Thanks!
It's still a routing problem, I suspect - ICS is usually set up automatically as a way to connect an ethernet-connected PC to the internet (but to to anywhere else on the local network.
If you know how to useping, tracert, and route commands, you may be able to verify this for yourself.
Unfortunately raspbmc (and Openelec too?) doesn't have traceroute installed by default.
Under Win7 command window, shots of
ping <other system address>
route print
ipconfig/all
may help
Derek

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't add location for Samba folder on XBMC (using shared internet connection)0