Asus Chromebox Single or Dual Boot
Fingers crossed I am posting in the right place...

I hope someone can help, I have just purchased a Asus Chromebox and have been reading the Wiki on how to get the Chromebox to single boot OpenElec/Unbuntu or dual boot OpenElec/Unbuntu and ChromeOS, what advantage or benefit would I have to be able to access ChromeOS?

Is there a web browser that I can use in either OpenElec or XBMC? if there is maybe a single boot OpenElec will be fine otherwise I might have to dual boot the device to get web access, are there any other benefits to have ChromeOS on the device.

Many thanks.
The main reason people dual boot is for Netlfix/Hulu etc via ChromeOS. If all you need is a basic browser, then you can go the standalone route and just install the Chromium browser from the unofficial OpenELEC repo.
Thank you Matt.
Hi Matt.
I Have the dual boot chromeos and openelec. And works just fine thanks so much. But I think I just need the openelec . How can I do it? . Thanks in advance.
(2014-11-30, 02:17)joseacevedo Wrote: Hi Matt.
I Have the dual boot chromeos and openelec. And works just fine thanks so much. But I think I just need the openelec . How can I do it? . Thanks in advance.

boot to ChromeOS, run the script, and choose the standalone option. If you want to reformat the hard drive and use the entire drive for OpenELEC, you'll need to create the install media and reinstall OpenELEC. But if you do that, boot into the existing OpenELEC setup and back up your settings and copy them to another machine/USB before reinstalling OpenELEC. The OpenELEC wiki should have instructions on how to do that.
But from what I've read, Netflix doesn't stream HD on ChromeOS anymore, right? If so there's very little reason to boot into real ChromeOS. I think the only real reason would be to activate free offers from Google, or of course to use it as a real pc.
I was not aware of the Netflix 480p limitation either, but Matt has previously said...

(2014-10-24, 07:29)Matt Devo Wrote: Also, I'm not sure why you'd want to dual boot ChromeOS, given that Netflix is limited to 480p currently. The real value of the ChromeBox is as dedicated low cost/low power Linux box.

not sure that's accurate anymore, since I don't use ChromeOS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox Single or Dual Boot0