Remote desktop for administration of KODI
Hi all,
I am setting up a XBMCUntu (KODI now I guess) box for a non technical friend. I wanted to be able to bring up his desktop here so I can make changes, add and remove add-ons, troubleshoot, etc. Is there/does anyone know of a simple remote desktop to use with this distribution that will allow me to remotely view his desktop?

Thanks!
Welcome to forums.

x11vnc? If you search forums its been done in past and documented.
I'm using x11vnc too. Works with Confluence quite acceptable.

You shouldn't have any dynamic changing backgrounds.

Short howto:
Code:
ssh kodiuser@kodi-machine
DISPLAY=:0.0 x11vnc

Open a 2nd terminal:
Code:
vncviewer kodi-machine
Can we use vanilla Windows Remote Desktop to do this?
IMO best possible option is Nomachine.
Free version give use remote desktop access.

Here you download server for your friend machine
https://www.nomachine.com/download

Here get a client for yourself
https://www.nomachine.com/download/linux&id=4

It is using ssh credentials for login(so your friend machine needs to run ssh server)
You will only need to forward port 4000(tcp/udp) on your friend router to his actual xbmcbuntu machine.

It is secure and fastest possible solution with multiple options for picture quality, audio, file transfer etc...
I use it on 3 machines at home (two of them are headless virtual machines) and 2 of my friend kodi setups (same reason as you)

The only downside is that it is not open source software(if you care)
if Openelec/Kodi, there are ZERO remote desktop applications that will work, including X11 VNC and noMachine. X11 doesn't exist on Openelec and you can't install it, and the connection will be refused in noMachine. RealVNC and Windows RD don't work either. In summary, don't waste your time on the "solutions" mentioned thus far in this forum.
Of course X11 exists on openelec, although not on raspberry pi (perhaps that is the source of your confusion).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-27, 03:15)mjj9435 Wrote: if Openelec/Kodi, there are ZERO remote desktop applications that will work, including X11 VNC and noMachine. X11 doesn't exist on Openelec and you can't install it, and the connection will be refused in noMachine. RealVNC and Windows RD don't work either. In summary, don't waste your time on the "solutions" mentioned thus far in this forum.
Original question was about kodibuntu. How did you assume openelec?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote desktop for administration of KODI0