Having a SMB issue with Gbox type devices
I have a dedicated HTPC in my main viewing area that I have been using XBMC on for years.

I just bought a nice tv for the bedroom and would like to have the XBMC experience in there but without a full blown computer.
My main purpose will be streaming from my HTPC.

My daughter uses a MB3 with a Roku in the living room and that works nicely.
But I'm an XBMC person so I got the Matricom G-Box
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH64...UTF8&psc=1

When I try to setup XBMC and show the path for my videos on my HTPC
When I select it, I get a window that says
'Lock Settings'
Username
Enter Password
Remember for this path

I don't have any username and password

What am I supposed to use here? I tried using NETWORK as well as the name of the PC.
I never entered a password as I don't have one....

Any ideas what I need? I'm running windows 7.
I've accessed my media on this pc from other pc's running xbmc and was never asked for this.

I played around with this for awhile and finally gave up... started the return process on Amazon and ordered this to try SkystreamX 4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M03U...UTF8&psc=1

Not having any luck with this either.... When I select Windows Network SMB I just get the 2 dots at the top of the screen with no drives listed.

So the first one shows me the drives but wants a username and password that don't exist and the second wont even show me the drives.
The computer I am typing this on now is on the network and XBMC sees and accesses everything perfectly.

anyone know how to get these to work or if that is a better alternative that isn't a full PC?
I talked to tech support from both of these companies and they are both clueless.

Anyone have any thoughts here? If not then I guess these will be both going back to Amazon.

If you are reading this then you obviously use XBMC.... most likely with a dedicated HTPC.
What are you using in other rooms of the house to browse your library?
(2014-12-01, 00:50)huttdes Wrote: I played around with this for awhile and finally gave up... started the return process on Amazon and ordered this to try SkystreamX 4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M03U...UTF8&psc=1

Not having any luck with this either.... When I select Windows Network SMB I just get the 2 dots at the top of the screen with no drives listed.

So the first one shows me the drives but wants a username and password that don't exist and the second wont even show me the drives.
The computer I am typing this on now is on the network and XBMC sees and accesses everything perfectly.

anyone know how to get these to work or if that is a better alternative that isn't a full PC?

Its been quite a while since I dealt with Android on XBMC/Kodi but this is a little guide I wrote up at the time of what I had to do to set up my SMB shares the last time I did it (at least 18 months ago):-

You will need to know your pc name and the folders share name.
For this example I am going to use stammie as the pc name and movies as the share name (please note this is the share name shown to other devices not the folder name explorer shows you on the pc)

1:
In XBMC go to videos

2:
Go to files

3:
go to add Videos

4:
Choose browse

5:
choose Windows network (smb)

6:
You will now have a screen with two dots at the top and ok, cancel, new folder and mirror image at the bottom, click/select ok

7:
A pop up box should now have appeared with "smb://" at the top left of it, click/select this smb://

8:
A keyboard popup should now have appeared, at the bottom of this popup is an address bar with "smb://" in it,
click/select this "smb://" and enter the full path of the share, so for my above examples it would look like smb://stammie/movies/ , select done on the OSD keypad when you are finished

9:
You can now set the folder as you would local files, I.E. whether if it contains movies, tv shows or none and the name XBMC will display for it, select ok and you're done, XBMC on your Android device should now see that elusive smb share

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Having a SMB issue with Gbox type devices0