• 6(current)
Win 24fps playback problem Helix RC1
I am not sure I follow. You should just make the settings I wrote, exit Kodi, then make sure your desktop refresh rate is 59 or 60 Hz, then start Kodi and check some 23.976/24.000 movies for framedrops (a few drops at the beginning is normal). Kodi will switch to the correct refresh rate at the beginning of the movie automatically and will restore 60 Hz at the end.
I explained wrong sorry, i have no frame drops, but there's some problems with audio/video sync, somehow frames get dropped for audio to stay in sync when bitstream is on (this gets duped with sync playback to display on), but there's still some minor "24P" judder happening randomly which shouldn't happen compared to the other player (Stereoscopic player which uses coreavc + lav filters).

Edit: "Sync playback to display" also doesn't seem to work that well with MakeMKV rips, everytime i rip a 2D movie with makeMKV audio will sit at 99% while video is jumping around from 95-99%(This is the reverse with BDMV folder structure, Audio fluctuating between 90-99%, video 99%).

Playing BDMV folder without "Sync playback to display" results in craploads of dropped frames for Audio to stay in sync, but none of them are reported as "dropped".
WilliamG:

You are trying to set the refreshrate in windows control panel before starting Kodi? Don't do that, it is broken too! It will show that your display is at 24.000 Hz but in the background it will set 23.976 Hz! It's not necessary and will only confuse Kodi's refresh rate switcher. I would really love to talk to the engineer at Microsoft who is responsible for this mess.
(2015-08-26, 22:26)a11599 Wrote: WilliamG:

You are trying to set the refreshrate in windows control panel before starting Kodi? Don't do that, it is broken too! It will show that your display is at 24.000 Hz but in the background it will set 23.976 Hz! It's not necessary and will only confuse Kodi's refresh rate switcher. I would really love to talk to the engineer at Microsoft who is responsible for this mess.

I see... this might be causing a lot of the issues I'm experiencing then. By the way, yes, your build works fine in full-screen window without dropping any 24.00hz material frames, with the settings as you posted. I had to go into the Intel Control Panel, switch from 23hz (23.976) to 24hz, and then back to 23hz, and the setting seems to be working for now. I think, as you say, it's broken.

So the best thing is to just leave it at 59hz in the control panel? This whole thing is making me crazy!

I just thought it would be best to use 23hz as the setting to always be used since I watch 23.976hz 99.9% of the time!

*Edit*

Seems that as long as you never switch it back to fullscreen, it will work with the Intel settings set to 23hz (23.976hz), and Kodi reports 23.98 correctly. The screen will blank and switch to 24.00hz when I start a 24.00hz movie, and then blanks and goes back to 23.976hz when I stop the movie.

Is there a downside to using a full-screen window over actual fullscreen?
I've found that just switching Plex to a full-screen window solved the problem there too for 24.000hz playback. It no longer skips frames.

There's definitely some bug because if I set Plex to full screen (non-window), bearing in mind my desktop is set to 23.976hz, when I start a 24.000hz movie, the screen blanks out like it's TRYING to switch to 24.000hz, but then when the movie starts, Plex info reports it's still running at 23.976, not 24.000 (same thing happens with Kodi 15/16). That's why it's skipping frames, because playing a 24hz movie at 23.976hz is a bad idea as we know. However, if I run a full-screen window in Plex with 24.00hz material, the screen blanks, Plex info reports 24.00hz frame-rate correctly when the movie starts, and there are no skips.

Problem solved - just run a full-screen window in Kodi/Plex. Thank you.

Now the only question is whether there's any downside to a windowed full-screen? I may just leave it this way in future..

PS It's interesting the full-screen window workaround has worked in Plex Home Theater for a long time... I wonder why that is, since Plex is very behind XBMC.
Plex might had this patch implemented earlier. I am not following its progress. Fullscreen window does not really have any drawbacks in Kodi on Windows 8+ since the DX11 upgrade. A bit slower performance theoretically but it really depends on your GPU/skin. I highly doubt you will see any performance penalty with your GPU, especially since you are running your desktop at 23.976 Hz.
(2015-08-27, 09:49)a11599 Wrote: Plex might had this patch implemented earlier. I am not following its progress. Fullscreen window does not really have any drawbacks in Kodi on Windows 8+ since the DX11 upgrade. A bit slower performance theoretically but it really depends on your GPU/skin. I highly doubt you will see any performance penalty with your GPU, especially since you are running your desktop at 23.976 Hz.

Perhaps. So far I'm happy. Thanks for your help. Smile
(2015-08-27, 09:49)a11599 Wrote: Plex might had this patch implemented earlier. I am not following its progress. Fullscreen window does not really have any drawbacks in Kodi on Windows 8+ since the DX11 upgrade. A bit slower performance theoretically but it really depends on your GPU/skin. I highly doubt you will see any performance penalty with your GPU, especially since you are running your desktop at 23.976 Hz.

How stable is Jarvis? Is there any Quality bugs/issues so far? Just got home and wondering about testing Jarvis because of the frame rate issues.
(2015-08-26, 22:02)a11599 Wrote: These are my sync related video settings, no magic here really (output resolution is 1920x1080):
System > Video output > Use fullscreen window: ON
Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate: ON
Video > Playback > Sync playback to display: OFF (but you can also turn it on, it does not really matter if the GPU is accurate enough)

Audio is set to WASAPI, HDMI, 7.1 channels, all formats enabled for bitstreaming.

And with these options I get perfect sync without framedrops or repeats. The same settings work well on my laptop if connected via HDMI using the integrated HD 4400. I asked for your debug log because the workaround may not be functional with Windows 10 and the log could maybe tell.

These settings combined with Jarvis have 100% completely solved all of my long-standing sync issues. Thank you for posting this invaluable information.
(2015-09-08, 02:03)samesong Wrote:
(2015-08-26, 22:02)a11599 Wrote: These are my sync related video settings, no magic here really (output resolution is 1920x1080):
System > Video output > Use fullscreen window: ON
Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate: ON
Video > Playback > Sync playback to display: OFF (but you can also turn it on, it does not really matter if the GPU is accurate enough)

Audio is set to WASAPI, HDMI, 7.1 channels, all formats enabled for bitstreaming.

And with these options I get perfect sync without framedrops or repeats. The same settings work well on my laptop if connected via HDMI using the integrated HD 4400. I asked for your debug log because the workaround may not be functional with Windows 10 and the log could maybe tell.

These settings combined with Jarvis have 100% completely solved all of my long-standing sync issues. Thank you for posting this invaluable information.

Peculiar. What sync issues were you having that could be possibly resolved by these settings?
(2015-09-08, 03:16)WilliamG Wrote: Peculiar. What sync issues were you having that could be possibly resolved by these settings?

I was having issues with the video stopping and then speeding back up to match the audio. This no longer occurs.

Edit -- This worked perfectly running Windows 8.1. I am in the middle of upgrading to Windows 10, so if this no longer works after upgrading, Windows 10 may be the culprit. I'll update again once installation is complete.
(2015-09-08, 03:44)samesong Wrote:
(2015-09-08, 03:16)WilliamG Wrote: Peculiar. What sync issues were you having that could be possibly resolved by these settings?

I was having issues with the video stopping and then speeding back up to match the audio. This no longer occurs.

Edit -- This worked perfectly running Windows 8.1. I am in the middle of upgrading to Windows 10, so if this no longer works after upgrading, Windows 10 may be the culprit. I'll update again once installation is complete.

Can you detail your hardware (display device/computer etc etc)?
Perfect playback on Windows 10 as well.

(2015-09-08, 04:13)WilliamG Wrote: Can you detail your hardware (display device/computer etc etc)?

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p connected to an amp/HDTV via HDMI.
(2015-09-09, 10:00)samesong Wrote: Perfect playback on Windows 10 as well.

(2015-09-08, 04:13)WilliamG Wrote: Can you detail your hardware (display device/computer etc etc)?

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p connected to an amp/HDTV via HDMI.

Should work in Win 10. Glad to hear it does (works for me, fine, too).

Still think it's odd that the settings you changed would affect playback sync that much, especially since they're pretty "standard" settings. The key factor for 24.000fps material was running in a full-screen window vs full-screen.

In any case, this was a different issue you suffered from, and I'm glad it's working for you!
I've been running in full-screen window for a long time and have never, ever been able to get synced audio for 24fps movies. Will try with Jarvis and/or the DX11 build linked to last page and see if that solves the problem.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24fps playback problem Helix RC10