Purchased an Asus Chromebox, now what do I want?
Do you guys recommend doing #5 for the standalone boot? Then I do 6?
(2014-12-05, 05:14)BBock727 Wrote: Do you guys recommend doing #5 for the standalone boot? Then I do 6?

I recommend you follow the instructions from the EZ setup script post:

Quote:For a standalone setup, you will need to perform the following steps:
  • Put the ChromeBox in developer mode
  • Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw
  • Download/run the EZ setup script
  • Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one
  • Create install media for desired OS. Script includes option to create OpenELEC install media
  • Power off ChromeBox
  • Connect/plug-in USB install media
  • Power on ChromeBox, Press [ESC] from boot menu, select USB device
  • Install OpenELEC (or your OS of choice)
thanks Matt. read most of the thread but the in depth explanations were making me more confused. this list is quite simple and i am now moving along. thanks!

got to the last step and saw the install screen with two options, then screen flashed black and i got --Error in mount_flash: mount_common: could not mount
I'm going to surmise there was an error in creating the install media; I'll download OE and re-create the USB installer and go from there
Tried recreating it and using another Usb drive. Same problem. I get to the openelec screen where there's install and live option then screen goes black and I get the error
(2014-12-05, 19:34)BBock727 Wrote: Tried recreating it and using another Usb drive. Same problem. I get to the openelec screen where there's install and live option then screen goes black and I get the error

what's the rest of the error?
I'll grab the whole thing when I get home. Thanks Matt.
Here's the error

Error in mount_flash: mount_common: could not mount uuid=xxxx-xxxx
Starting debuting shell... Type exit to quit
Sj: can't access try: job control turned off.

I blanked out the uuid
Matt May I ask what I can do to get back to your script prompt? Getting the hang at loading hard dive becAuse I failed at installing the os
(2014-12-06, 05:44)BBock727 Wrote: Matt May I ask what I can do to get back to your script prompt? Getting the hang at loading hard dive becAuse I failed at installing the os

getting back to the script won't do you any good, and since you flashed the custom firmware as part of the standalone setup, you can't boot ChromeOS anymore. You just need to create a working USB install stick and then install OpenELEC.

I just googled the error you are getting, ensure that the USB stick volume label is 'OPENELEC' (all caps). If it is already, rename to something else, then back to OPENELEC and try again.
I use Chromebox, OE standalone. Using Aeon 4 for the skin. All works awesome. Once you get your settings clear, you should be good. It rarely has lag/slowness issues. Maybe try to store all your artwork with videos rather than on the box itself. You need to keep that space open. If it gets too full, it may reset your skin settings or do wacky stuff. Make sure you backup your settings with XBMC Backup. If it resets, you're back in a few clicks.

Note OPENELEC Backup will likely not work. There just isn't enough space to hold everything. You can backup, but when you go to restore, it will say that there isn't enough space. I've had this several times and just went to XBMC Backup only. Works great.

Lastly, you may need to play with the acceleration settings...maybe. The defaults may be fine, but if you get any glitchiness, just adjust them. I had a few files freeze..now they're good. I've had it since launch, and it works well. The more power/space the better, but you don't NEED to upgrade. Every video, every codec, every everything I throw at it plays without problem.

Also, Flirc. Get a Flirc. You can program everything. I use my DVR remote (which sucks), but it does the trick.
I just ordered an ASUS Chromebook.

Trying to decide what OS to go with...
I had a FireTV for a few days, put Kodi on it, but didn't like how locked down it was. I did like how easy it was to intregrate with the Netflix and amazon video apps. Is is possible to get a similar experience with my chromebook?

Thanks!
(2015-02-17, 19:11)Reb313 Wrote: I just ordered an ASUS Chromebook.

I had a FireTV for a few days, put Kodi on it, but didn't like how locked down it was. I did like how easy it was to intregrate with the Netflix and amazon video apps. Is is possible to get a similar experience with my chromebook?

Thanks!

no, you can't dual boot the BayTrail-based ChromeBooks the way you can the older Haswell-based ones. I think there's a way to dual boot Ubuntu and/or Arch, but it's pretty convoluted, and not 100% functional like a true dual boot install would be.
(2015-02-17, 19:43)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-17, 19:11)Reb313 Wrote: I just ordered an ASUS Chromebook.

Thanks!

no, you can't dual boot the BayTrail-based ChromeBooks the way you can the older Haswell-based ones. I think there's a way to dual boot Ubuntu and/or Arch, but it's pretty convoluted, and not 100% functional like a true dual boot install would be.

Well I think I'm just going to go with Ubuntu and have a bad netflix/amazon video experience...

Sure would be nice if those companies released something for XBMC/Kodi to better help our interaction with it. It's a shame that the easiest method is not the most legal one.
Netflix and Amazon both work perfectly from ChromeOS, not sure why you want to run Ubuntu on unsupported hardware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Purchased an Asus Chromebox, now what do I want?1