3 Boxes Choosing the same IP Address! How can I fix this?
I am running this Linux XBMC on 3 M8 Boxes and I have a problem.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...otham-13-1

All 3 of the boxes are setting the same IP Address (in this case 192.168.1.122). I haven't found a way to change this, can someone please help.
make sure dhcp is used or configure a different IP on every box
I don't see any DHCP setting, but assumed it was on as standard.

(2014-12-03, 14:15)wsnipex Wrote: configure a different IP on every box

How can this be achieved?

FYI, the boxes also display the same MAC addresses on the System Info > Network details.
that would be an operating system thing. ask whomever builds your linux..
same MAC address on all boxes? Either you have a really bad linux hack on them(spoofed MACs), or you should RMA them....
(2014-12-03, 16:55)wsnipex Wrote: same MAC address on all boxes? Either you have a really bad linux hack on them(spoofed MACs), or you should RMA them....

Either of those is possible. How would I find out which?

Each box has a different MAC Address sticker (neither matches the MAC Address displayed in XBMC), but other than that I guess I could install different firmware and look at them then.
I can't say anything about YOUR Linux box because all are different and use different distros, but typically the networking parameters are stored in a couple of different files in the /etc directory, or a subdirectorory of /etc. You have to have root access to do this, though. If you know what "flavor" of Linux is running on your system, enter something like "How do I change the IP address in (Linux version)" or "How do I set a static IP address in (Linux version)" into a search engine and you will likely find the information you seek. If it's a device with an "embedded" form of Linux that runs on an ARM-based processor, then try using "busybox" in place of the Linux distro name, because most such devices run busybox.

As an example, on a Debian-based system, this information is stored in /etc/network/interfaces. DNS servers are stored in a different file, but I cannot recall the name of that one offhand.
Thanks for the input. I have searched extensively and most guides do recommend editing the interfaces file, however that has not worked for me. I believe the source for this build is based on Buildroot version 2013.11. I'm really struggling to find a working method.

I have managed to make a temporary change to IP using
Code:
ifconfig eth0 172.16.25.125
but that is lost on every reboot.
check if your build is using network-manager: /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections
Yes it does. Here are the content of the etc/NetworkManager folder.

Code:
[root@AMLinux-M8 NetworkManager]# ls -ahl
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root        4.0K Jan  1  1970 ./
drwxr-xr-x   24 root     root        4.0K Jan  1  1970 ../
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root          23 Aug  1  2008 NetworkManager.conf
drwxrwxr-x    2 root     root        4.0K Jan  1  1970 dispatcher.d/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K Jan  1  1970 system-connections/

and the contents of the system-connections folder.

Code:
[root@AMLinux-M8 system-connections]# ls -ahl
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        4.0K Jan  1  1970 ./
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root        4.0K Jan  1  1970 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           6 Aug  1  2008 .empty

and my NetworkManager.conf looks like this.

Code:
main]
plugins=keyfile
Have you logged into the router to see what's reported in it's address table? assuming the router is the DHCP server for the network.
I have logged into the router, it only reports one connection under the IP Address and MAC Address, even if 2 or 3 are connected. I'm guessing this is because of the MAC Addresses being the same.
What subnet is your router using (192.168.1.* or 192.168.0.*, or some thing that starts with 10.* ?), and what model/firmware version are you using? Did you ifconfig eth0 <ip> on all three boxes from command line? That would be bad... Are these three machines connecting via ethernet or wireless? Do you have any rules on the router regarding MAC -> ip address?
Please do this on all 3 boxes.

Code:
ifconfig -a

and pastebin all 3 boxes results and post links here.

These are guesses btw but possible explanations is that your OS/Firmware you installed is doing that (by mistake or bug) or you cloned the install and restored in on other machine (idk how that would force same mac) or the scary one is that each machine is a actual clone at hardware level.

Edit

The cause for same MAC address seems to be YOU http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...post255292

To confirm pastebin those files you created in each machine I bet you will see you made them all equal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3 Boxes Choosing the same IP Address! How can I fix this?0