Dependability all around
I've been playing with XBMC and now Kodi for several years. This is a frustration POST - XBMC & KODI are great ideas, but just like most Linux stuff out there, it gets updated and changed faster than one can keep up with. (unless you live on your computer and this program only) I hate Microsoft, but their stuff just works, no command line BS, it just works.
Installing Kodi or XBMC on Raspberry Pi B and B+ has been fun, but not too productive. I spend so much time trying to get a show to load, I get frustrated and just give up and put a movie out of my collection on to watch.

I own and operate a computer repair shop, so I know a bit of command line, I've been playing with Linux for years. I'm not computer illiterate at all, I just try and set up computers to sell that have cool programs on it for them to experiment with. I've tried setting up XBMC on several of my customers machines, only to get a phone call asking how to get it off their computers because it sucks.

The big guns in the TV world are going to be sending their products over the internet, as soon as they can find a way to double dip on making money, and this XBMC/KODI project will be defunct or illegal to use.

I've been patient, watched many you tube videos, with endless way to do things that are obsolete the next day, it just sucks. I'm very disappointed with this whole mess and hope someone comes up with a better idea... SOON, or this project will be more worthless than it already is.
So you own a computer repair shop and you can't get it to work. Warning to all:never buy stuff from this guy!!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I've had people who have never heard of XBMC/Kodi and with little computer knowledge being able to install and use it with no problems, with a little guidance.

And someone claiming to own a computer repair shop can't get it to work?

I guess literacy is a state of mind.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-12-03, 20:54)gadgetman728 Wrote: I've been playing with XBMC and now Kodi for several years. This is a frustration POST - XBMC & KODI are great ideas, but just like most Linux stuff out there, it gets updated and changed faster than one can keep up with. (unless you live on your computer and this program only) I hate Microsoft, but their stuff just works, no command line BS, it just works.
Installing Kodi or XBMC on Raspberry Pi B and B+ has been fun, but not too productive. I spend so much time trying to get a show to load, I get frustrated and just give up and put a movie out of my collection on to watch.

I own and operate a computer repair shop, so I know a bit of command line, I've been playing with Linux for years. I'm not computer illiterate at all, I just try and set up computers to sell that have cool programs on it for them to experiment with. I've tried setting up XBMC on several of my customers machines, only to get a phone call asking how to get it off their computers because it sucks.

The big guns in the TV world are going to be sending their products over the internet, as soon as they can find a way to double dip on making money, and this XBMC/KODI project will be defunct or illegal to use.

I've been patient, watched many you tube videos, with endless way to do things that are obsolete the next day, it just sucks. I'm very disappointed with this whole mess and hope someone comes up with a better idea... SOON, or this project will be more worthless than it already is.

So, you're not interested in fixing anything, you just want to complain? What exactly does this have to do with hardware? If you like Windows so much then why not run XBMC on a windows machine? Perhaps it'll work better for you than your RPi. Honestly, 99% of my movie collection plays without any problems at all. Select a video and push the play button. Just works.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Forget I said it, Fuck off. This group is more worthless than the shitty KODI program. I knew I'd be drawing all the idiots out. Please remove me from this fucked up group of losers!

Fuckin ASSHOLES
Wow. You turn up, attack, then get upset when people defend? What did you expect, a welcome red carpet and a chorus of agreement as people realise their efforts are all ultimately doomed?

Even if you're great at repairing computer hardware, you clearly struggle with software if you think Windows has no need of 'command line BS' - after all, MS didn't start including PowerShell for decoration did they? I'm no big Windows user, but even the basic DOS prompt is a regular occurrence as I find myself using ipconfig, a simple ping/nslookup or perhaps net use. But you? No, not ever?

Ah, well. Perhaps this just really isn't the place or the software for you, even if it never occurred to you to run Kodi under Windows instead of Linux...
(2014-12-03, 20:54)gadgetman728 Wrote: The big guns in the TV world are going to be sending their products over the internet, as soon as they can find a way to double dip on making money,

NetFlix, HBO Go, iTunes, Google Play, Hulu, Amazon Prime... And more services... Over your smart phone, laptop, smart TV, tablet, game console, set top box... And more devices...

I think we're well past 'soon' for that happening...
Just use OpenELEC as the OS if you want an appliance like experience:

http://openelec.tv

Second best alternatives to OpenELEC are Raspbmc/OSMC and GeeXboX.

Or just buy/sell Pivos XIOS XS if you want the addition of Android apps.

If those are too complicated for you to use then it's time to close shop.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dependability all around0