CPU/Chipset for tiny HTPC with no driver issues?
Hi all!
I'm an experienced system builder and have been looking at options for a mini-ITX or smaller HTPC based on an x86 processor, preferably passively cooled or as low TDP as possible. I've have come up with the following list of CPU possibilities:
  • Celeron J1900
  • Celeron 1037U
  • Celeron 847
  • AMD E1-2100 APU
  • Atom
  • Intel NUC
  • Some kind of Chromebox

What it will be used for is full HD 1080 output over HDMI, no 3D, playing a mix of upscaled streams from standard def upwards.
XBMC/Kodi will be run on top of a full Linux (preferably) or Windows OS depending on driver issues. Which is why I'm asking - there seem to be upscaling issues with the Bay Trail CPUs otherwise I would probably have gone down the J1900 route. What other issues are there with the various CPUs that are relevant for my usage?

Thanks! Big Grin
E1-2100 is really slow with Windows, C847 slightly faster but still slow.

C1037U is really nice except the only one I ever found passively cooled with the EU version of the GA-C1037U motherboard.

Atom is a brand name so it could mean anything but I am guess it means pre-C847 embedded so I would not bother. D2700/D2550 unless paried with a GT610M was a disaster. You can still get D25x0/GT610 and it's nearly silent: http://www.macmall.com/p/Giada-Motherboa...dp.iadcjbd

How about an A4-5000 motherboard? Biostar has a passive one and ASRock a quiet one, especially if you swap out the tiny CPU fan for a Scythe mini-Kaze.
Ah yes, the Kabini - I forgot about that. Thanks!
If you are just using this HTPC for XBMC / Kodi streaming only I would seriously consider just getting a cheap and well proven ASUS Chromebox.
Very popular and well supported here on the forums and supremely capable for XBMC streaming with Intel Haswell integrated graphics on a Celeron 2955U. Its a bargain ball tearer this box.

Any flavour of a full Linux distro can be installed to then run Kodi on, Windows OS however will have issues. (See links in my Signature for discussions / info)

What you are contemplating with a HTPC build is complete overkill if just running Linux and then Kodi for streaming.

If it were me, I would save some coin and build headaches and buy a prebuilt proven Chromebox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CPU/Chipset for tiny HTPC with no driver issues?0