Best media box
Smile 
Hello everyone. I am a new xmbc user, as I just discovered it the other day. Coming from plex I have allot to learn. So, my plan is to get a media box to hook up to my soon to be lg 4k tv. My question is what is the best media box to get that I can install xmbc on and have the best experience with. I have seen people talk about the asus chromebox and the minix neo x8h. I'm sure there are numerous others. Any help and insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :Nod
Can you give us a more detailed description of your demands?
It's hard to recommend a "Best Media Box".
Do you need HD Audio? Blu-ray Menu? 3D? Online Streaming content?
Sorry. What I will be using it for is streaming hd movies, tv shows, music, possibly 4k movies, online tv, etc. Blue ray menu? Not exactly sure what that is, but it sounds awesome. Looking to install xmbc and have it look good with all the features, addons etc. Streaming hd is a must.
All XBMC install capable....

- Cheap and very capable of perfect video (no 4K) (overclocking recommended) = Raspberry Pi with a proper power supply.
- Cheap but without perfect video (24p syncing + de-interlacing problems) but with Extras (Netflix, Hulu, Games etc) = Android (insert device name of choice)
- Very couch friendly and family friendly, with remote included = Amazon Fire TV
- Most popular here on forum with perfect video playback (3D + 4K as well) + best bang for the buck = Chromebox running various versions of linux.
- Spend more $$$ than you need to just for XBMC playback, although full 3D plays perfect = i3 or greater NUC

(2014-12-04, 11:16)wrxtasy Wrote: All XBMC install capable....

- Cheap and very capable of perfect video (no 4K) (overclocking recommended) = Raspberry Pi with a proper power supply.
- Cheap but without perfect video (24p syncing + de-interlacing problems) but with Extras (Netflix, Hulu, Games etc) = Android (insert device name of choice)
- Very couch friendly and family friendly, with remote included = Amazon Fire TV
- Most popular here on forum with perfect video playback (3D + 4K as well) + best bang for the buck = Chromebox running various versions of linux.
- Spend more $$$ than you need to just for XBMC playback, although full 3D plays perfect = i3 or greater NUC

By 3D do you mean MVC (as in Blu-ray format). If so, can you point me toward threads on how to do that from XBMC on Chromebox?
I will clarify my statement.

Perfect video = on the fly 23.976fps (24p and others too), syncing XBMC video framerates to TV. Should be a minimum requirement for a Media Box IMHO, especially if you are sensitive to video flicker. Plus Perfect video = able to do watchable de-interlacing for fast action sports especially when viewing Live TV.
Perfect video does not include 3D MVC.

3D MVC decoding is not possible when running XBMC / Kodi, either on a Chromebox or a NUC.

3D MVC decoding IS possible on a i3 NUC or better when using external Windows BD software.

3D for a Chromebox or RPi running XBMC / Kodi -> you can defiantly play -> HSBS and HTAB.
Unsure about full SBS or full TAB movies, due to low spec CPU's in these devices.

Informative discussion had here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209985

Bigger discussion here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=147285&page=78

Thanks for the clarification. Such a shame, from my point of view, that Chromebox/Linux XBMC doesn't support 3D MVC.
Maybe Intel will release a low cost CPU sometime in the future to Hardware decode H265 and MVC codecs.

Here's hoping !

Wow...... Thank you wrxtasy. That is alot of information to take in. Honestly you list me on most of the decoding stuff as I am new to all this and never dabbled in it before. But if I understand you correct, if I get the chromebox the M075U for instance then I can watch anything including 3d and 4k? Also is it recommended to install Linux on it? Thank you.
Have a good read of the Chromebox Wiki if your leaning in that direction.
You will only need the cheaper M004U / Intel Celeron 2955U one to play virtually anything using XBMC, excluding the MVC Blu-ray discussed above.

http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox

Lots of support here on the forum makes it easy to get up and running and install any flavour of Linux you like.
Easiest would be Openelec / XBMC.

Have a read of the numerous threads too.

That article reads that it doesn't support the decoding of MVC streams. Does that mean I couldn't watch 3D movies via streaming? is there any other box that you would recommend over the chromebox? Just want to make sure what I get does everything I want it to do.
Are you going to be streaming high bitrate 3D (typically 35 - 45GB) Blu-Ray ISO image rips. ie 1 for 1 copies of a Blu-Ray disc encoded with the MVC codec ?

If yes then get a i3 NUC and run Windows 8.1 on it. Windows BluRay player software will then be needed to play these ISO's.

Most releases you find on the interwebs are 3D Half-SBS and they play fine on the Chromebox and also the cheap RPi.
The Chromebox Wiki needs a bit of editing with further expanded info me-thinks.

Honestly I'm not sure what type of 3d it Will be. I saw on a video add-on called Phoenix that there was 3d movies to stream. I'm assuming the chromebox will work for that. I was also looking at downloading 3d movies and playing them off an external hd. It's that possible as well?
Sorry if all these questions get annoying. Just trying to wrap my head around all this.
Thank you again for your time on this. I really appreciate it.
No idea about the add-on you mentioned and not particularly interested either.

If its an add-on to facilitate showing of pirate material it cannot be discussed here. Any further discussion will result in this thread being deleted as it is against XBMC / Kodi forum rules.

I will leave it at that.

Gotcha. Any other suggestions I should look at over the chromebox. Fire instance, the mini neo x8h

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best media box0