Solved Titan skin - Touchscreen support
Hi all,

I am working on full mouse/touchscreen support in the skin.
As I don't own a touchdevice with XBMC/Kodi on it myself I'm looking for users who want to give it a try and give feedback about it.

The first approach of the touchsupport is available in the latest BETA version;
version 2.2.1 for the gotham edition and 3.2.1 for the Helix version.

Please note that beta versions of the skin are available on the MediaBrowser beta repo:

downloadlink:
http://cdn.mediabrowser.tv/downloads/add...-1.0.1.zip

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Please note that you have to enable the touchsupport in the skinsettings...
Two things I have encountered:
  • Scrolling does not work - no scrollbar nor panning of the list is feasible
  • Menu-Icon does not have any function now - at least it is not opening the left-hand menu

Validated on an Ipad. Will check with my android tablet later.
Major sticking points for me and a skin with touchscreen support is:

Ensuring that available targets are large enough for fingers hit

An assist for the home, context, side panel and back button/menus

A keyboard that's large enough to hit with fingers - for example I don't know what leeway you have in creating your keyboard but if possible create a full screen keyboard with an opacity to see through it in case you have a captcha or other information to view as you type

I have an iPad and a Nexus 7 inch tablet I can help test out on.

i've yet to find a skin that fully supported touch screen properly.

I think the re-touched skin comes closest but doesn't have a file manager if I'm correct and neither does it support PVR functionality.

It's almost as if I would suggest that you fork the skin into a touchscreen and non-touchscreen variants to help keep your sanity :-)
Thanks guys for the first testing! I will try to get my hands on a cheap android tablet this week for designing the "touchscreen mode" of the skin.

I'm still doubting about creating a "touchscreen mode" in the main titan skin or create a seperate skin for the touch functions, something like "Titan touch".
I also don't know if that touchversion will be accepted in the xbmc repo if I create my own mod/port of the skin...
I was able to try the touch screen mode on my nexus 7 and its pretty usable for the most part for a first pass.

I like the assists included - although I was not able to determine what the icon with the three lines does - it seem not to do anything when I tried it in several different contexts.

As far as whether to produce a titan touch or enable an option for touch support in the current skin - I guess it really come down to the question of which option is less complex and easier on you and I guess if it's ok with the power that be overseeing the main repo and if they are cool with a separate version or not.

Curious as to why you think they would not allow a touchscreen fork of your skin in the main repo?

Either way I'll help test out the skin or skins :-)

Oh!!

Almost forgot...

Marcel if you don't want to purchase a tablet

Check out these emulator options for android:

https://www.genymotion.com/

http://www.andyroid.net/

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html

As always you do incredible work and not much thanks for all that you've done with the skin - you truly are a master sir!

Mario
Well, I got my hands on a andoid tablet today and made some fixes for the touchscreen support.
Available in the latest x.2.5 version of the skin on beta repo...
Made some more fixes in new beta 2.2.6...
As far as I can tell all is working now including scrolling etc.
I've tried 3.2.6 beta for Helix on my Nexus 7 and touch works fine, while on my Surface Pro under Windows the same skin has issues as touch imput are always seen like mouse clicks (I've tried enabling the touch support under options) and therefore I can't scroll :/ re-Touched instead works great on both devices
(2014-12-14, 17:23)Simograndi Wrote: I've tried 3.2.6 beta for Helix on my Nexus 7 and touch works fine, while on my Surface Pro under Windows the same skin has issues as touch imput are always seen like mouse clicks (I've tried enabling the touch support under options) and therefore I can't scroll :/ re-Touched instead works great on both devices

That's strange... I tested myself too on a Android device and that seems to work fine.
Also own a Surface but that's an RT version so no way to test Kodi on that...

You mean that you have no way to scroll the lists by "swiping" over them ?

Maybe you have to disable mouse support in the global settings of Kodi ?
Or it has something to do with this file:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...screen.xml

I did a quick compare of my code for the lists with the re-touched skin and saw no differences.

Did notice one thing though... I forgot to include the textures for the scrollbars in the helix version.
With touchmode enabled the scrollbars should be present at all times.
I'll include them and push another update out later
I wasn't aware of that xml config for touch input... anyway it doesn't seem to work (placed under keymaps folder in userdata)... And if I disable the mouse/touch support of course I can only browse via keyboard... Anyway could be a problem on my side, I'll look for it and try something. Only on Android works out of the box... Huh
(2014-12-15, 01:25)Simograndi Wrote: I wasn't aware of that xml config for touch input... anyway it doesn't seem to work (placed under keymaps folder in userdata)... And if I disable the mouse/touch support of course I can only browse via keyboard... Anyway could be a problem on my side, I'll look for it and try something. Only on Android works out of the box... Huh

Thanks for reporting back. Please let me know your findings. I'll try to get my hands on a windows touch device so I can take a look myself.
Got a windows tablet from work to test with.
Indeed I have the same problem... the mouse cursor just shows up instead of having the native touch support (like swiping etc) as with the android device.

I have this on all skins so it's not related to Titan only.
Must be some setting in windows and/or XBMC.

I'll let you know if I find out how to solve this.

I can off course hide the cursor in the skin but in my opinion this isn't a real solution as you want to be able to just swipe around the lists/panels to navigate around.
Good! anyway yes, the problem isn't the mouse cursor itself but swiping... with re-touch works, therefore there must be some way.. Huh
(2014-12-15, 20:07)Simograndi Wrote: Good! anyway yes, the problem isn't the mouse cursor itself but swiping... with re-touch works, therefore there must be some way.. Huh

Yeah, I've been testing it for some time now and indeed swiping seems to work with both Confluence and Touched skins, tried a few other skins and all are not working.
So I think there must be some (undocumented) way of doiing this..

Aaargh :-)

I'll keep digging for a solution

EDIT: swiping works in confluence for the main menu but not Always on the lists, the one minute you can swipe the list, the next minute you can't...
Huh?
We need someone who programmed this...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Titan skin - Touchscreen support1