SOLVED. install alsa to passthrough dts-hd, dts-ma and true hd
I've tried purging pulseaudio and then installing alsa-utils but all that shows up on my av receivver is either multichannel or pcm. l'll like for it to show up as dts-hd as my receiver gives me various options. II have 2 servers both ubuntu with kodi, one using nvidia gt520 and the other gt620. I have read through various forums and tried a number of methods, just updated one of my systems from xbmcbuntu to ubuntu 14.04 just to get kodi to passthrough truehd. It decodes truehd but passes it to my avr as multichannel or pcm. Sorry if what i wrote is all jiberish i gave as much info as i could think as relevance, iam still new to linux.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: DGX [Xonar DGX], device 0: Multichannel [Multichannel]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: DGX [Xonar DGX], device 1: Digital [Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Do you even have an AVR connected to your HDMI cards?

Please post a Debug Log, with that one we can easily see what is detected. <- the Debug Log is in your .kodi/temp directory. You can easily use the pastebinit utility to capture it:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit

Post the url the latter command spits out.

Nvidia can do dts-hd / truehd without any problems _if_ the correct hw (e.g. an AVR that is capable to do so) is available.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for your reply.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/9415756/

the avr i am using is the onkyo 616. i use to be able to see dts-hd, dts-ma but not truehd on gotham 13.2. On kodi everythhin is pcm 2 channel.
Please use the advanced settings to enable passthrough:

Your device is called:
HDA NVidia (ONK TX-NR616 on HDMI) which you have to set
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
aaaaaarggghhhhhhhhhhhhh feel so stupid saw that option on a thread on my tab last night but forgot to do it.

Thanks man appreciate your help.
So edit the primary post and put SOLVED: in front of it. Thanks for reporting back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SOLVED. install alsa to passthrough dts-hd, dts-ma and true hd0