raspberry pi B+ running latest raspbmc
static IP

Troubleshooting:
ssh connection from win 7 media server to raspberry pi success
ping success
file transfer via sftp success
sources.xml verified (looks correct)

Summary:
Basically, no matter what I try, it will NOT connect to the share. Whether I let it find the computer by browsing or if I type in the location manually (tried both server name and IP), it will get to the lock settings and continually ask for credentials. No matter how many times I put in the username/password, it immediately just prompts for it again. The network is wide open. Nothing fancy happening here, no port forwarding, no bridging, just a straight connection with static IP's.

I've searched and searched and have come across a number of articles and threads explaining how to fix the issue, with varying degrees of success. None of the fixes I've come across have helped my situation.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Just a note:
Even though you say the network is "wide open" it might not be what Windows 7 thinks.
Microsoft has decided to make life a pain when connecting to shares on the Win7 PC from something other than another Windows machine...
You have to search for the Win7 sharing tutorials. Once the share is set up the correct way the Pi will be able to read files from it.
I am using a Synology NAS for my media files and the Pi has no issues connecting to its samba share.
So please look further in the Windows7 area.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
(2014-12-08, 22:02)Bosse_B Wrote: Just a note:
Even though you say the network is "wide open" it might not be what Windows 7 thinks.
Microsoft has decided to make life a pain when connecting to shares on the Win7 PC from something other than another Windows machine...
You have to search for the Win7 sharing tutorials. Once the share is set up the correct way the Pi will be able to read files from it.
I am using a Synology NAS for my media files and the Pi has no issues connecting to its samba share.
So please look further in the Windows7 area.

Isn't that the truth. Ok, thanks. I'll head over there.

That is one of the personal "issues" I keep running into, in that most of the articles I've come across for troubleshooting usually revolve around a raspberry pi and a Synology NAS. I just have a regular computer running Win 7 that I converted into an HTPC. This HTPC is the computer I'm trying to get the raspberry pi to connect to. The HTPC is in my living room and it's already running XBMC on it, no issues. Of course, all the files are local to it, so there shouldn't be any problems. Still, I assumed it would just be a couple clicks and I'd be up and running, at least according to all the online tutorials. And I was going to try and run liveTV to the raspberry. Now, I'm not so sure...
A thing to check on Win PC - is File and Printer sharing enabled on connection that is in use... Open <Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections>, right-click on respectibe icon, select Properties and see if File and Printer sharing is enabled (checked)...
(2014-12-08, 22:48)givo Wrote: A thing to check on Win PC - is File and Printer sharing enabled on connection that is in use... Open <Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections>, right-click on respectibe icon, select Properties and see if File and Printer sharing is enabled (checked)...

I might consider chucking my entire computer out the window if I missed such a minute step.

I'll check when I get home. Thanks!
Also be a little careful, as there are two types of sharing on Win7 PC's - those for sharing between the Windows Homegroup (from the right-click menu, these are the "share with" entries) and those for wider sharing (right click menu, properties and then the sharing tab in that). It's the latter you want, most simply the advanced sharing option within it (for which you'll need admin rights).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I...have no words.

I got home, checked all my settings, booted up the pi, navigated through the menus, and....it worked. Flat out worked. Turned it off, booted back up again, all works. Scraped and everything.

So, thanks?

If it all goes to crap again, I'll update, but until then keep your fingers crossed!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot connect to Windows share0